Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed DZ spot low a couple weeks ago. Was not working correctly, gear indicator shows neutral instead of high. Contacted DZ, they sent me a new switch, still no dice. Tried powering it from a different source than the accessory plug, tried a different ground, tried connections with and without dielectric grease but no dice. Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
One observation, if I put power to the switch and hold the ground wire with my hand within a hair of something metal on the maverick I can get it to say high on the indicator. As soon as the ground touches is says neutral but if I hold it just a hair away from touching it says high.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shows neutral with sport low on in low or high. Indicator works perfectly with sport low off. I am thinking the resistance is not quite right in the sport low harness but why is my maverick different than every other one?

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I hooked mine up about two weeks ago I had problems. When I put mine in low it showed a E and the engine light came on. I contacted articbomb and he said to make sure all connections were good and that the ground was good because it operated off ground. So I unplugged the connections and reconnected them paying close attention to each one. The only thing I found that could have been the problem was the plug thar plugged into the trans was tight and hard to plug in. Anyway I tried putting in low again and this time it flickered E-H about ten times and then stayed on H. Its been working ever since. The only thing I guess it was was a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I hooked mine up about two weeks ago I had problems. When I put mine in low it showed a E and the engine light came on. I contacted articbomb and he said to make sure all connections were good and that the ground was good because it operated off ground. So I unplugged the connections and reconnected them paying close attention to each one. The only thing I found that could have been the problem was the plug thar plugged into the trans was tight and hard to plug in. Anyway I tried putting in low again and this time it flickered E-H about ten times and then stayed on H. Its been working ever since. The only thing I guess it was was a bad connection somewhere.
Thanks,,,,, I have tried all of my connections several times but I will check again.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Connections are good, grounds are good. Tried running a separate ground, same result. Ran a jumper from the engine to the frame in case it was not properly grounded, no change. The only thing that seems to work is to compromise the ground to the point where it is barely grounded. That is the only way I was able to make it indicate high as it should

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did some testing and I am about a volt low on the transmission signal wire. I am at about 2.7 volts. Target voltage is more like 3.4 to 3.7 volts. DZ is working on a solution. Sounds like at least one other maverick (that DZ knows of) might be having the same issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could try different resiters on your ground wire.
When you are trying to get a certain voltage you use a resister to bleed off the positive voltage to a ground, the resister is what limits the anount that can go through it to be discharged.

There can be a few factors on the factory one and the one that is in the switch harness you added. Some times they might be at the top end or the bottom end of the tollerence on the resister like + or - 10% .

Its been a while since I have done electronics so explaining it Im not the best at right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I saw your thread last night and I was you tired to answer you intelligently. I was thinking it sounds like you are about 1 volt off in your output to the ECM. The only reason I can think that the voltage would be off is because there is too much resistance in something. It only takes a few hundred Ohms to change the voltage enough to do what yours is doing. Whether it is in the transmission sensor or the harness you bought is the magic question. It sounds like the harness you got may have an issue causing the resistance to be too high. A friend of mine recently bought a new blower motor resistor for his truck and two of the resistors were touching when it came out of the box. It could be a bad connection, bad diode, or bad wire on the harnes causing it to drop too much voltage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After reading this I decided to unplug the transmission and plug it in again and it seemed to of fixed my issue with the E..
Thanks

Adam also called me yesterday and said it might be the switch and was willing to send me a replacement, It did have two issues while riding it but turning the switch off and the engine and re-starting it took care of it. I think the conection to the transmission might be loose.

Reactions: Rickyjo09
1 - 13 of 13 Posts