Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer today informed me that the clutch issue had been addressed in the 14 models, four seater was the subject.
What do ya'll know about this? I have it narrowed to the Maverick4 and Wildcat4X, both being mechanical beast will have issues, but want to be certain before I buy, don't want to buy a Can Am and immediately have to put a couple of grand into a new clutch. I know about the WC issues and a local dealer has pretty much addressed them.
Your thoughts:)!?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have a max- get the max - it's amazing, clutch issue is fixed. Now if you spend $2000 on a new clutch you will gain even more power but from strictly a reliability issue the clutch is fixed.

I rode with a wildcat 4 this weekend. I wasn't impressed. They are over a foot longer than the maverick max, yet have much less rear leg room. I know I am biased but my maverick looks so much better and performed amazingly.

To me the wildcat4 ( it was new as well) already squeaked and the engine sounded like a worn out diesel. I know that's harsh but that's my observation.

I love can-am but I'm not a can-am homer, I was an inch from buying the new 1000XP when I bought the Max, and honestly I am so thrilled I bought the Max. It's an awesome machine, so far I literally don't have a single complaint.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I believe those 2^ statements are true. The clutch reliability has been fixed, but an aftermarket clutch will give you better performance.

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
maybe the clutch bolt issue is fixed but the two piece primary sheeve and creating heat is not. Just be careful when really beating on the machine, give the clutches time to cool. Always use low gear when under 30mph and never brake stand. High clutch temps will kill your belt and leave you replacing it trailside, IF you can get all of the kevlar strings out of the clutches.

in all if a clutch is all we have to worry about or replace, WE have a great machine compared to others.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you going to be having adults or tall kids ride in back, if so the max is your only choice. Do you want an Artic Cat 1000 or a Rotax? The ride in the Wildcat will be more like a Caddy then the max. Fit finish and build quality isn't close between the two. Wildcat has a all tube chassis so they will claim that is better but I am not sure the design of the chassis on it or the new xp1k are actually strong from a flex point of view (they maybe strong enough), the tunnel on the max has 2 what look to be 2x1 rectangle tubes connecting the front and rear of chassis along with the bolt on roll cage. The other two do not have this spine connecting front to rear of chassis just the bolt on roll cage tying it together, Not saying I wouldn't prefer an all tube chassis just would want it tied together more like a sandrail is built.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
What ever u do do not buy a wildcat :)

yes the clutch issues are 99% fixed and also can-am extended the cvt warranty to a full year

·
Registered
158 Posts
First of all I had no bias regarding what brand of side by side I bought (I only own a Honda Rubicon ATV). I picked the Max because it had more room and a better fit and finish than the rest. I just picked my max up and drove it for the first time on Sunday. Amazing, Amazing! If you need room get the max. They all have more than enough power and great suspensions.

Opinions are like assh*les, we all think ours is the best but in the end they all stink at least a little!!!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I would like to add a few things.

as stated above, you can get a clutch in aftermarket and improve your ride, depending on your ride style. I do dunes, trails and climbing rock piles in the mountains. I have no issues. just like you can get taller bigger tires, again depends what your looking to do. but in general, the stock clutch is fixed and no real serious issues which is great for a sxs, for that canam did well finally. I really abused the crap out of my clutch and belt a few weeks back, I mean rode it like I stole it twice, not a single issue. heat was a little hot sometimes, mainly on my right ankle, which I have fixed, otherwise its all good. now regardless of 90 hp, 101, 107 hp, there all up around the same top speed. the maverick shines big on form, fit and function, plus comfort and style is 1000 times better than anyone else stock, leg room is great in front and rear. maverick wins in all areas,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks to all for the insightful comments. I did worry about having to buy something and immediately put a new clutch in, or other extra expenses. My biggest issue with the Wildcat is the greater length, that causes extra expenses in many areas. My riding will be some street, another positive of living in Arizona, a lot of desert and up north, rim logging roads stuff and a few Glamis trips a year. I know how to boggie without tearing up equipment, for the most part:D, so dependability is quiet important. From what has been posted it would seem that eventually to get maximum performance the clutch would need attention. I did note that the back seating room is noticeably better in the Maverick. I will be carrying adults some of the time but can't forget the two large dogs, who will also be included. So the scale is tipping, probably will move on a unit in the next week or so, anything special I should check out, what sort of add ons should I look at first, a roof sounds good!
Also what sort of deals is every one getting? I live near a Ride Now but will travel for a great deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts