Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about adding a stereo. but i was wondering how durable the marine speakers are? I assume you can't spray them with a pressure washer so how do you get the mud out? because riding here everything gets covered in mud. or should i just keep a couple small ones under the dash?

·
Registered
557 Posts
no speakers can take direct water! even marine speakers can only take moisture.there are just a few things that separate marine from non marine.

1. plastic is UV protected
2. terminals are copper
3. If its a co-ax speaker (most are) the tweeter is surrounded by a moisture proof web lining that doesn't allow water to pass thru to the spyder or voice coil.If you look at a car audio speaker look at the tweeter there is about an 1/8 inch space all around the cone. JL audio probably makesd some of the best marine speakers we sell.it doesn't take much to seize up a cone!
my advise would be to not purchase a stereo but use an Ipod as your source I think SSV works uses that style I don't care for there quality but you can go down that road

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank's guys. i'll look into the ipod setup.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so they are durable. play-doh do you let them dry before playing?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Cones on the marine grade speakers are typically made of some type of water proof material unlike the paper used on standard speakers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The Wet Sounds marine speakers dont have a pole through the cone to mount the tweeter, it's mounted to the grill. I have hit mine with a pressure washer several times, no problems.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wash down my speakers all the time on all my off-road vehicles.
Jbl,kicker,wet sounds,clarion...
Some of them are over 3 years old and still sound excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts