Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some feedback on carrying a spare tire vs. just a flat tire repair kit (ie: small compressor, Slime, plugs, etc). I recently installed the spare tire carrier because I got a good deal on it , and wanted the back end to look a little more finished off. I already carry a Slime tire kit. Just wondering if it's worth investing in a spare & jack. Otherwise, I'm tempted to just cut off the bottom "L" shaped bracket.... thoughts?
photo 14.JPG

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
For me it depends on how far out I will be, what kind of riding Ill be doing, and who Im with.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I own an auto repair/tire shop, so repairing flats are no big deal after performing a million of 'em. For me, a good professional grade plug kit and a small 12v compressor are all I plan on carrying. In a pinch, I have stacked 4 plugs side by side in the sidewall of a tire and aired it up with complete success. I don't want the weight or the bulk of a spare tire assembly on my rig. I'm willing to take my chances, and so far I have liked my odds!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far. I already checked with Can Am to see if they sell just the bottom bracket...and of course NO they don't. So once I cut it off, it's a done deal. I'm not a fan of carrying all the extra weight either.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Why don't u just sell that one and weld 2 tubes in if you don't want that holder part?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Compressor, and plug kit for me... IDK, but I had someone with the spare tire mount that you have tell me they notice the added weight (more body roll).

·
Registered
367 Posts
In my tool kit i carry tire plugs,fix a flat and co2 cartridges with dispenser.
And they have all been used and replenished multiple times.
The xmr comes stock with an air compressor and hose on board...aint i lucky...
No spare tire

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why don't u just sell that one and weld 2 tubes in if you don't want that holder part?
Well, if I had a welder and a pipe bender...I probably would have done that. I figured the cost to pay someone to fabricate bars + powder coat, would be more than the bars I bought.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry if this Mav belongs to someone...but I photo-shopped the tire carrier to see if I'd like the looks of it chopped off.
mav rear 1.jpg Mav rear 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You cant plug a rim if you bend one or punch a hole in the inside of the wheel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We leave our spare at camp because of weight and the way it handles. I really like the last photoshopped pic :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I think you can have something ready for your long trips but your dune trips its not needed. I carry a plug kit and a small compressor that plugs into the power outlet.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess like Blownrotrodder said...depends on how/where you're gonna ride. I don't intend to carry a spare at the dunes, as I leave my spare shit at camp as well. I think in the hard-packed desert is a different story though. I'm looking into fabricating a clamp so I can take off the bottom bracket as needed.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
unless you plan to ride 100% of the time within sight of your truck, have them both. there really is no point to not doing it, weight is a small in the big picture and really a mute point unless your racing, then drop it all, strip it down and carry none. once you are up hills 10-20 miles from home base area, with perhaps sand to climb over to, in the pouring rain and you rip out the side or a big gap, you will know why I say this. do it once, and you wont ever do it again without both.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
If I had 4 of the same tires, I'd probably carry a spare, but with staggered width stock tires, I just opt for the plug kit/12V compressor.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I had 4 of the same tires, I'd probably carry a spare, but with staggered width stock tires, I just opt for the plug kit/12V compressor.
Good point. I still have stock tires/wheels also. "IF" I were to get a spare...wondering which is better to carry, front or rear spare?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good point. I still have stock tires/wheels also. "IF" I were to get a spare...wondering which is better to carry, front or rear spare?
Carry a front as its a bit lighter as your worried about weight, and it will work either on the front or rear....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts