41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I wanna ride Mike

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
If you don't carry a jack, carry a tow strap. Throw it over the roof and tie it to the roll cage. Hook the other end to your buddies car and he can lift both wheels on 1 side off the ground for an easy tire change. Technique is almost faster than using a jack.
Just as long as @Sandshark is not the dick on the end of the rope who pulls too much and rolls your newly built car over for you. Lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Plugs, Sidewall Slugs, etc can fix lots of problems. When this happens you need a spare.

·
Registered
114 Posts
1600 miles onX Rc turbo r, 2 flat tires. Second one was sidewall damage. I slid into a big bolder in a wash in a turn. Bothe times I put the spare on(stock size) just back the good side tire up onto a big rock or ledge at an angle and the bad tire comes of the ground, might need to move a little dirt But no jack needed. I carry a jack now, but if there is a big rock or something I’ll do it without fumbling with trying to jack it up. I have a spare carrier that puts it above the back window, I can still see out the rear view mirror. I did roll over last week, I guess it could have contributed to it, but that’s life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sometimes I carry a spare, sometimes not. If im leaving only for a day and I know I wont be more than 200-250km ( 125-155 miles for my american friends) away from my trailer, I dont carry It. If im leaving for a 2 or more days trip I strap my spare to the bed because it would suck to cancel a trip because i cant fix my flat tire. I ride east coast. Forest trail, fire road, log truck road, gravel, hardpack and roots and rocks. No sand or desert.

I do carry all the time a bunch of plugs, a jack with a compressor and also an equalizing tube
(silicone tube of 10 feet with a screwing air chuck each end so you can transfer air between tires if your compressor dies)

Reason why I avoid bringing a spare if i dont really need to : it takes a lot of space ( i run 32x10x15) so bed boxes and cooler is more complicated to fit and I HATE straps. And it weights a lot, i think 55 pounds my combo rim/tire and i noticed on big bump/hole or rocky section when riding fast, my rear skidplate touches ground sometimes. I have a 64'' with 15 " ground clearance.

Did i ever suffer punctures and flat tires: oh yes. Always sidewall punctured or sliced, never ever had a flat on the contact patch. I was always able to patch and air up! I have never used my spare because of a punctured tire.

Only time I used my spare Is when I had OEM rims and i hit a rock and the rim bent or cracked and it wasnt holding air anymore. A patch cant fix this so spare was needed. It happened 3 times In 2 years before I decided to buy aftermarket rims. It never happened again with my method rims and 32 inches tires combo and i've been running this for 2 years.

And to be honest, i would have no problem riding on a flat tire or even the rim itself for as much km as i need to come back to my trailer if i wouldnt have a spare and wasnt able to fix the flat. There is no way I would walk for hours just to save my rim!!!! But thats me.

In the end, it your decision. Is a spare mandatory? Absolutely NO. Is it usefull? sometimes yes but most of the time no.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Plugs, Sidewall Slugs, etc can fix lots of problems. When this happens you need a spare. View attachment 265972
I carry epoxy stick, you would be surprised of what it can fix!
I once lowsided my motorcycle during a trackday and explode the clutch cover. We used 2 stick of it to shape a cover with was was remaining, waited 1 hour for it to cure and harden, filled the bike with oil and I was able to finish my trackday haha. I mean, if you have a spare dont bother, but epoxy stick would temporarily fix something like this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fixing a clutch cover to hold oil and a wheel to hold air pressure are quite different. Not saying it would not work because I have no experience using it. I would rather have the spare and not have to worry if it will work or if it will hold or not after the repair. It is all a matter of risk and how much each of us are willing to accept. For me the spare is worth carrying to mitigate the risk. I have two X3s (me and the wife) with the same wheel/tire combo so the spares are compatible. If we have an issue (need a spare) we can continue normally knowing we have a second spare between the two cars. Again, to each his own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@blackdiamond you are right. Cover to hold oil vs rim to hold air is different. ...but epoxy stick is still an awesome thing to carry.
To me carrying a spare for short ride is more of a hassle than having no spare. To each his own is totally true.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts