Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I can’t believe all you people who ride alone. Such a dumb thing to do. One little stick or mechanical failure and your rolling down a hill with no one to help you.

now to spare or not, I did it for a better ride and to put weight over the rear of the car more than needing a spare.
And what’s so wrong with driving on a flat tire if you have no spare or plugs won’t work? The tire is already trashed and wheels are no more than $250 each. Isn’t that what beadlock s are made for? Hmmmm
i only ride alone because i don't have friends :(

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,134 Posts
^^^ Reinforces what many of us have been saying...

For example, we often do trail runs of 100+ miles from seasonal rv park "base camp" in easternmost AZ's White Mtns into western NM's adjacent mountains. A shredded tire there with no spare might well mean leaving the car and doubling-up in the other car to return trip for truck and trailer. A much different situation than for those doing dune bashing not far from "camp".

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I carry a spare when desert riding or trips to Baja. I also carry a plug kit. We go on 100+ mile rides and Baja is multiple days. A spare is a must. I have shredded a tire and there was no way I was going to make it back to the truck riding on a wheel. I have used various spare tire racks and I would stay away from the single bar style that hold the tire up over the roof. If you do moderate riding it will shake back and forth and break. I used the Can Am pivot linq rack when I had a stock cage and it worked awesome. Allowed you to still use the bed for storage and you can still see with the rear view mirror.

I currently run a spare tire mount from Triumph Motorsports. It does not pivot out of the way, but it still allows room for a storage box and being able to open the lid. It is very sturdy as it bolts to the down tube and to the where the cage bolts to the frame. Pricing is very reasonable.

Assault Industries makes a spare tire rack that pivots that looks pretty nice.

If you are sticking with a stock cage I would get the Can Am pivot linq rack.

Attachments

Reactions: DirtDawg

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can’t believe all you people who ride alone. Such a dumb thing to do. One little stick or mechanical failure and your rolling down a hill with no one to help you.

now to spare or not, I did it for a better ride and to put weight over the rear of the car more than needing a spare.
And what’s so wrong with driving on a flat tire if you have no spare or plugs won’t work? The tire is already trashed and wheels are no more than $250 each. Isn’t that what beadlock s are made for? Hmmmm
Such a talented fab guy , trying not to take issue with comment . Maybe i should just sell RC or join some club so don't do such a dumb thing , seriously ninety percent of time we are alone and far from people , yep might get screwed someday prepare best can and deal with rest as it comes . might as well sell guns hunting not safe alone sell boat boating not safe alone, sell jeep you get idea .
I can build a case alone is safer than riding in those dunes with 200 other dumb bastards.
And i will drive this thing with 4 flat tires and not cry once about trashing the rims bought bead locks only for this reason , IN emergency drive with no oil no water till she blows hell if i am freezing ill start lighting peace's on fire .

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
127 Posts
No body needs a spare tire, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, tire plug kit, tools, spare parts, winch, recovery equipment, or cell phone when wheelin'.

Until they do. Then you'd pay twice what they're worth to have them.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Had one ride where I got a flat and put the spare on. 90 minutes later I had another flat with 2 holes. Patched that one up and finished a great ride. So yes, I carry a spare and a repair kit. Modified Harbor Freight scissor jack works great.

Reactions: Quad2Sxs

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Agree, if the tire is shot what the hell, drive it.....

However if I was going out in the boondocks all the time, hell yes I'd carry a spare.

Curious if anyone has tried using a ratchet strap to pull up the suspension in the front to see if one could ride on 3 wheels?? :unsure:

·
Registered
2021 Maverick Sport Max 1000R
34 Posts
Carry a spare... prob never use it. Don't carry a spare, you'll wish you did. There is no right answer. Depends how far from camp or help you are venturing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I carry mine on the roof, ontop of the BRP adventure rack.. The rack has a mounting points and a 3 point ratchet stop specifically for the tire. Great setup.

Mike

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i only ride alone because i don't have friends :(
We can be friends.

I blew the inner head of my rear. Thankfully Paul was there to help me figure out how to use a hill and himself for a jack to get the wheel off. Then I proceeded to beat the shit out of the wheel with a huge rock to get it mostly back to round and then get the tire back on.

I ride alone a lot. Because I didn’t have anyone that could drop everything and meet me out somewhere.

So I didn’t do stupid shit or try things that were kinda risky. So far no problems, and no spare. But I got plugs and a compressor and put air in that rear tire 6 or not times that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Compressor, jack, tools, on and on. If you have a Max with no rear passengers I can see where you’d have room for all that. And I’m not addressing anyone in particular. I got one of those large stand up bags for the rear shelf that can hold a lot of stuff, but sounds like you guys have figured out your storage needs better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always carry a spare, and have needed it more than a number of times on my maverick trail and on my x3. i used to carry a jack but the last few times i just found a rock to drive the opposite tire up onto.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Agree, if the tire is shot what the hell, drive it.....

However if I was going out in the boondocks all the time, hell yes I'd carry a spare.

Curious if anyone has tried using a ratchet strap to pull up the suspension to see if one could ride on 3 wheels in the front?? :unsure:
See people do it in the dunes on occasion.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I carry a spare on the Linq rack. Originally, I had it on the Adventure Rack, but felt it made the car too too heavy, so I moved it.
Only have needed it a couple times, but one of those times was last weekend out at Johnson Valley where I somehow sheared off the bolts from my bead lock.
I also carry a CO2 kit, compressor for backup, plugs and a Sidewall Slug. (Just recently saved a fellow off roader that DIDNT carry a spare with this genius device)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here is a pic of my busted wheel!

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
MEGA MEGA MEGA
On a side note about ridding alone, planning a group ride soon you up for that Mega?

Now to the original post.
I do have a spare, and the one time I needed it it fel off the car using BRPS rack and ratchet strap setup. My rims are 300 per rim and tiers are 200 so 500 each.
I got lucky and my issues was a bent inner rim (Mega you were on that ride with me and you were the one to point out the bent rim to me. I was able to air up the tier each time we stopped a d got back home. I was able to just replace the inner bell on my sector Zero rim and good to go. If I had to ride on a flat that rim woumd have been a total loss.

I now use two ratchet straps on.my BRP rack and that works well.
Thanks to Todd on that ride I was directed to a Facebook post of a found tier and got it back🥳

You can use a rear window on an X3 and a spare. Did not check on your model of car.

My tier does add weight, it is not a rollover issue rather the back likes to hand up in thr air on jumps because all that weight starts up and keeps going longer than the front.

I carry a plug kit as well, compressor and a scissor jack.
I also have a tool kit and first aid etc.... back there, all adds a good amount of weight overall. Again not a safety issue but it does change the ride a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If you don't carry a jack, carry a tow strap. Throw it over the roof and tie it to the roll cage. Hook the other end to your buddies car and he can lift both wheels on 1 side off the ground for an easy tire change. Technique is almost faster than using a jack.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts