Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do admit, I do a lot of things for the way it looks. While function and utility are important, at least to me it's also important that something looks good or, to date myself, cool.

I like the look of spare tires on X3s. I've seen quite a few different ways of carrying them and was leaning to the Super ATV one which holds it up high and is a very simple mount.

I do have an issue with it, however, and that is I have a rear window and I'm certain it's in the way of installing it.

Many that I see on videos seem to put a lot of the weight over the rear and add to or can cause a rollover.

I've also been watching one particular channel a lot, a guy who owns a Raptor in California. I too own a Raptor. He carries two spare tires/wheels in the bed. Yet, when I saw him get a flat, he plugged it instead of swapping.

When I did the Ford Raptor Assault (google it if you are interested), one of the Raptors got a flat. They took out a garage jack from one, a battery powered impact from another, a spare from another, and swapped the wheel/tire in less than five minutes and we were all back on our way.

So, if you do carry a tire, have you ever needed it?

Do you carry a plug kit also?

Is it more for looks than anything else?

Do you feel it adds weight in a bad place, meaning making for a higher center of gravity?

Ok, I'll stop there. TY in advance for your thoughts and replies.

·
Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
90 Posts
I don't carry a spare but I do carry a plug kit. At least on my utvs. I do carry a spare in my Raptor however.

Reactions: Darkhorse and MDJAK

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,139 Posts
OK, I'll go second, noting MavT/MavS platform experience...

Yes, I/we did/do carry matching mounted spares.
Yes, I/we did/do carry string plug kits and compressors.
Yes, I/we both flatted our current RR car tires 2 days apart.

With former MavT with OEM then wider Maxxis Coronado on wider OEM wheels, no flats in prox 5k trail miles. With current MavS Xrc, we both swapped 30x10-14 Maxxis Liberty for 32x10-14 Maxxis Carnivore with noted flats quite soon after. Now at ~2.4k total miles, my buddy already has a slow flat in another Carnivore. But then, we run the roughest trails within our most local area for fun but also as part of being volunteers in an organization that routinely inspects and updates mapping database within the entire Tonto NF inventory here in AZ.

So then, all depends on terrain and miles from home or staging point. Our local terrain is brutally rocky with sharp granite and intruding branches. For us, the "buddy system" extends to spare gear and tools to get us back with limited drama. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
I have never needed a spare knock on wood.

Plugs and other similar gear, and a compressor etc is a must 100%. Some fixes can be easy.

For me its not for looks and I don't always carry it on my X3. I'm not a fan of lugging one around on the X3. Not a fan of the look of it either. But on a 2 or 3 day rip its just something I need.

On my Maverick Sport I have one mounted on the rear bumper at all times, it's out of the way and I'm not trying to win races with that machine anyways.

Tires can often be fixed, but a rim can't really.

Any weight mounted up high is never ideal. But you can get around it to a point with suspension set up and swaybars etc. You do what you gotta do and drive accordingly.

Check out Factory UTV over the roof tire carrier. It's mounted high, but is out of the way leaving access to your bed and rear view. If I'm out tearing it up locally I don't have the spare or carrier mounted. If I have the spare mounted I'm likely out with my wife for more than a day. So I won't be driving retarded enough to have a high risk of rolling anyways with that higher center of gravity.

Hate it on an X3 like I said. But better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it 200 miles into a trip. Just not an option.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes I carry a spare tire. It is the Super UTV spare tire mount. I chose it because it doesn’t block my rear view.

I didn’t feel great going riding without a spare so I make sure I have one now. I haven’t needed a spare but have only been riding for 3 months. I haven’t noticed any handling differences (have the 4 seater so...)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not for looks. I carry both on both X3's and have used both. If it is a small hole we use a plug because it is quick and easy. If it is large and cannot be plugged (like a sidewall cut) it gets changed. Obviously a jack, plug kit, air pump, other tools are needed.

As for weight, if it is not too high it is barely noticeable and you quickly get used to the handling characteristics with it there.

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,139 Posts
With mention of 'jack' comes suggestion to try what you plan to use in sloping loose terrain. I did so with my scissors jack fine for 50" class low clearance MavT but with 64" class MavS Xrc, that very same jack skewed sidewise and dropped onto low side. That was just a test with all 4 tires still mounted but had a wheel been off, much different story. Now, I/we carry those jacks screwed onto 2"x6" boards with more of same carried in each car to provide sufficient support and lift for most any reasonable situation.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
788 Posts
Scissor jacks can definitely get you into problems if you don't have them set just right for sure. Welding on a larger base and or "cradle" on top can help some.

Something else I keep on my Sport is 3 short lengths of 2x4 to get a little extra height or make a flatter base. Boards perfectly under the passenger seat on a Sport and stay firmly in place if you cut them the right length.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i'm planning on carrying a spare on our mav sport max. I also plan on having a plug kit too. When we ride it will be with the boss and the minions in the back as well. We rarely rode alone when we had our quad, but now that we have the mav sport and can take the previously mentioned minions with us, we will be riding a lone a little more.

We don't/wont be riding super fast, and i live in michigan. Not many off-camber type trails here, so a higher CG doesn't bother me, but i also daily drive a 3/4 ton diesel on 35s lol. I believe with a rear tire carrier, you will get used to driving with a different CG and/or limited rear view vision just like you would towing a trailer, or jumping into a vehicle with a higher CG than you are used to. Take it easy for the first handful of times, and then go from there.

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Sport
57 Posts
The wife and I sometimes travel alone mid-week, once and only once we cut a tire I could not fix with a plug. In short the spare tire saved us from a very long walk. I will always carry a spare tire, even if we were with a group there was no way I could drive the SxS out. Carry a sapre tire in hopes you never have to use it like you do with your car/truck.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The wife and I sometimes travel alone mid-week, once and only once we cut a tire I could not fix with a plug. In short the spare tire saved us from a very long walk. I will always carry a spare tire, even if we were with a group there was no way I could drive the SxS out. Carry a sapre tire in hopes you never have to use it like you do with your car/truck.
I do appreciate that advice and all the other replies here. Only thing I'd say in counter is many vehicles these days come with no spare, even if the tires aren't run flat.

So, here's a dumb question which I'm sometimes famous for. Do most of you who carry a spare carry the exact same wheel/tire combo that is on the vehicle? My tire/wheel combo is the OEM on my 2021 XRC. Where would I source another one, a dealer? Are there aftermarket sellers of OEM wheels and tires? Wonder how much it is.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
All of the replies here are spot on. Your decision to carry a spare or not should take into account the terrain in which you ride. For us desert dwellers and riders, sharp rock is a major concern since I have personally cut an inside sidewall that shredded the tire. Wheels get damaged as many have found from rocks getting stuck between the caliper and wheel. If you get a hole in the wheel, no tire plug kit can fix that. If you cut open a sidewall, no tire plug can repair that. If you ride in remote areas where there is little to no cell coverage or access by truck is nearly impossible that should factor in to your decision as well. If you ride alone you either walk or ruin the wheel by riding on it if the tire cannot be repaired.

I chose to use the BRP spare tire carrier since it keeps the spare as low as possible compared to other offerings. It can swing up to allow access to stuff in the bed if needed. It only slightly compromises your rear view in the mirror. The strap has proven to be secure and removing the tire when needed is quick, no tools needed to remove lug nuts that attach the wheel to the carrier. For a jack I went with a scissor jack designed for RV’s as a stabilizer jack. It’s rated for 7500 pounds and has a wide, round base on it so I don’t have to carry extra wood, etc. It bolts right next to the spare on the carrier and it takes the same size socket to raise it as the lug nuts on the car.

Yes, I do have a plug kit and compressor in my tool kit and would use that first if necessary. Also consider that while you can repair a tire with a plug for a minor hole, in the event you possibly bend or tweak a wheel, having a spare keeps you riding instead of limping back to camp or staging area, your day done. I try my best not to do anything for aesthetics that doesn’t somehow improve the performance of the car. That’s just how I roll. Ultimately the decision is yours, hope I gave you something to think about.

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Sport
57 Posts
I do appreciate that advice and all the other replies here. Only thing I'd say in counter is many vehicles these days come with no spare, even if the tires aren't run flat.

So, here's a dumb question which I'm sometimes famous for. Do most of you who carry a spare carry the exact same wheel/tire combo that is on the vehicle? My tire/wheel combo is the OEM on my 2021 XRC. Where would I source another one, a dealer? Are there aftermarket sellers of OEM wheels and tires? Wonder how much it is.
I carry the front tire size as a spare, it will work on back with no issue and as a tad cheaper than a rear tire for a spare.

Reactions: aaronedmonton

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The good thing about the XRC is that all of the wheels are the same width, unlike some of the other models that have different width in the front as opposed to the rear. To answer your question, same wheel, not exactly the same tire but the same SIZE tire. You can always find used wheels in the marketplace or source one at a dealer. For example on the XRS the front wheels are not the same as yours on your car, but the rear ones are. Your argument for no spare in vehicles unfortunately doesn’t hold any weight when talking about an off-road specific car. Remember this car is a high performance off road machine far more capable than most vehicles designed for primarily on road operation. It may be operated in terrain that other vehicles couldn’t.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
186 Posts
My X3 has a square setup and all of the tires are the same size so the spare is the same as the rest of the four. My RZR is not squared so the spare matches the front tires. The front will fit on the rear and I'd rather save weight.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My X3 has a square setup and all of the tires are the same size so the spare is the same as the rest of the four. My RZR is not squared so the spare matches the front tires. The front will fit on the rear and I'd rather save weight.
yeah my plan is to do a square setup on ours and get a 5th matching tire for a spare since i'm going up tire size. Hopefully i can find a buyer for the stock rims/tires to offset the cost a little

·
Registered
2020 MavS Xrc
1,139 Posts

On former MavT, I/we kept an OEM 26x9-12 as spare since same F/R diameter even though staggered wheel/tire widths after mods for stability.

RMATV sells OEM parts (including wheels) nicely discounted from MSRP, as well as replacement center caps etc. If OEM is beadlock type and if no intent to use spare in rotation, you could buy a standard wheel but having matching truly addresses the 'spare' objective if one on the ground becomes unusable. Partial screenshot shows OEM non-beadlock 14" wheel pricing on my MavS Xrc for reference (noting P/N and pricing changed since I/we bought ours).

1614264980596.png

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
I can’t believe all you people who ride alone. Such a dumb thing to do. One little stick or mechanical failure and your rolling down a hill with no one to help you.

now to spare or not, I did it for a better ride and to put weight over the rear of the car more than needing a spare.
And what’s so wrong with driving on a flat tire if you have no spare or plugs won’t work? The tire is already trashed and wheels are no more than $250 each. Isn’t that what beadlock s are made for? Hmmmm

1 - 20 of 51 Posts