Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
3,808 Posts
Do you have any pointers on getting them in and out after they have expanded, or is that not an issue with the 1.75 gallon containers?
Or is it not an issue at all, I remember reading that they can become difficult to remove if/when they expand.
2 workarounds I did for ours....

1) I first beveled the floorboard directly under the front of seat @ an angle to ease the entry angle of sliding the Rotopax in/out. It was essential to slip it under the seat for ours. Then.....

2) Then after doing #1 above, I noticed the seat rollers started touching/marring the Rotopax and could eventually slice grooves into/thru the container when it swelled a bit. The fix was adding 2 seat extensions under the rear mount. I had to convince the consenting adult of us (BLR) that we had to have seat risers. A married couple in agreement..... PRICELESS! There is plenty of container room now with the seat rear mounts higher.

An awesome place to carry our spare gas without it hanging off of the rollcage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What's everyone using for spare gas on the OG Maverick? I'm wanting to keep a couple gallons with me. I always have a cooler mounted to the bed platform that takes up a good portion of it. I considered buying the Tusk modular storage pack where the 2 side storage packs can be used as coolers, and I could put a couple gallon gas can inside the middle part. I'm kinda worried about how hot it will get though. I think the Tusk modular pack might be too wide for the bed area with both side packs on as well. Does anyone have one of these on their OG Maverick? How is everyone hauling their spare gas can? Thanks in advance.
Gas bag. Assorted sizes. 5gallon bag fits behind passenger seat. Spout included.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone got any pics of how they carried spare fuel on the OG maverick? Looking at probably rotopax mounted inside rear bars of roll cage but would like to see if anyone has done this with pics before I buy them or if anyone has any better suggestions, living in Thailand normal daytime temps rarely drop below 30C (86F) so I'm wary of storing fuel in direct sun...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
596 Posts
Anyone got any pics of how they carried spare fuel on the OG maverick? Looking at probably rotopax mounted inside rear bars of roll cage but would like to see if anyone has done this with pics before I buy them or if anyone has any better suggestions, living in Thailand normal daytime temps rarely drop below 30C (86F) so I'm wary of storing fuel in direct sun...

Thanks.
If you do get it rigged, be sure to get the can completely full with no air. The air is what expands and contracts with temp changes. Any chance you can get one under a seat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you do get it rigged, be sure to get the can completely full with no air. The air is what expands and contracts with temp changes. Any chance you can get one under a seat?

Unfortunately there's not much room under the seats on the OG mav turbo so doubt it would fit, gonna double check though as never really considered that as an option.

·
Registered
283 Posts
1. Never put fuel above the engine
2. Never put fuel where if you roll over the container can be damaged and possibly spark off from hitting a rock or something else
3. Freak things do happen but, do your due diligence to prevent fuel from leaking onto you
4. I believe the under the seat tank with a bladder is the safest way to go.
I was burned in a dirt bike accident, hit another guy head on at 70mph, he was doing 50mph. Let me tell you if you think a broken bone is painful think again. I had wished I had died than endure the pain and 60 surgeries to date. Burns are a lifetime of surgeries, so please think twice about fuel placement.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rotopax scare the crap out of me. My buddy uses them mounted to his cage near the engine. HELL NO!
Look at fuel bags. They are a fuel cell that is in a woven fabric sleeve. Kinda expensive, but all different sizes are available. A group I went to Baja with uses them. Most everyone had 5 gallon bags under the seat of their X3. In a rollover it will stay in place and not be damaged.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rotopax scare the crap out of me. My buddy uses them mounted to his cage near the engine. HELL NO!
Look at fuel bags. They are a fuel cell that is in a woven fabric sleeve. Kinda expensive, but all different sizes are available. A group I went to Baja with uses them. Most everyone had 5 gallon bags under the seat of their X3. In a rollover it will stay in place and not be damaged.
Howdy Mikes,

Do you have any more information on this "fuel bag", a link to it would be nice, thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sorry I don’t know how to post a link, but Amazon has them. Do a search for Giant Loop Gas Bag. Armadillo Bag is another manufacturer.
Howdy Mikes,

Thanks for the info. This is a direct quote from the Giant Loops, web site.

Armadillo Bag is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state and federal agencies. Armadillo Bag is NOT intended for fuel storage, transport or use as a gas bag in the USA.

So it looks like a good idea but how will it do in a crash situation, from their disclaimer sounds like it might not be safe, I have no idea just thought it interesting that Giant Loops would say this on their web site.

Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
Howdy Mikes,

Thanks for the info. This is a direct quote from the Giant Loops, web site.

Armadillo Bag is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state and federal agencies. Armadillo Bag is NOT intended for fuel storage, transport or use as a gas bag in the USA.

So it looks like a good idea but how will it do in a crash situation, from their disclaimer sounds like it might not be safe, I have no idea just thought it interesting that Giant Loops would say this on their web site.

Dave
I just saw that WTH? It’s gotta be a CYA thing. I haven’t bought one yet, didn’t want to spend that kind of money. On my Baja trip, everyone had them full of fuel under their front seats. We had two five gallon cans seatbelted in the back seats. Looking back at that, we were all kinds of stupid and lucky nothing happened. I’ll buy the bags when I go again.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts