Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
The panel is for reducing engine noise, not road noise as in insulating the cab of a pickup truck. Road noise is pretty much nothing in these Mavericks. I’ve road 4 or 5 miles down a mountain trail before with the engine off and it just sounds like a trash can filled with squeaky rocks, rolling down a hill. Funny, but not overly loud.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Nuts,,, thanks for the effort Turbo, but I don't do Facebook anything, or ANY social media for that matter. Never have, never will. Not trying to get into that conversation, I just choose not to do it.

This single forum is about as Net-social as I get. :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nuts,,, thanks for the effort Turbo, but I don't do Facebook anything, or ANY social media for that matter. Never have, never will. Not trying to get into that conversation, I just choose not to do it.

This single forum is about as Net-social as I get. :cool:
Same here (although I hit many forums for different brands/models). I would however like to see the full explanation. I can read about half the comments and then it won't expand any more when I click on them. I refuse to join FB.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same here (although I hit many forums for different brands/models). I would however like to see the full explanation. I can read about half the comments and then it won't expand any more when I click on them. I refuse to join FB.
The tester has a front and rear windshield, did several 0-60 km/h runs. Here’s the before and after measurements using his phone in a holder.
Font Screenshot Circle Display device Logo

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Commander rear panel they are using seems to be made of some type of heavy rubber, or at least it feels like that, it is flexible, that goes over the existing rear bulkhead in these machines. It would seem to do a good job absorbing the vibrations from the engine, therefore reducing the noise coming from it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It feels like neoprene that’s been sandwiched in thick rubber. The fit is excellent into all the contours of the cabin space. Just have to be careful drilling the top hole for the insulation on the service panel, coolant line is right there in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The tester has a front and rear windshield, did several 0-60 km/h runs. Here’s the before and after measurements using his phone in a holder.
89 to 77db is a significant reduction. This was truly back-to-back with only the new panel added? If I recall from my car stereo days, 3 db is equal to twice as loud (or quieter in this case).

·
Registered
126 Posts
X3 Poor, your tests on your new truck may have had limited effect because the manufacturer already spent significant time on NVH. I suspect powersports designers spend more time picking out wheel designs than on NVH.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
X3 Poor, your tests on your new truck may have had limited effect because the manufacturer already spent significant time on NVH
No,, it's because typical audio "sound deadener" doesn't have the physical properties to "reduce" exterior noise. It's not intended for that purpose,,, it's just what many (including me at that time) assume that it was designed to do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The acoustic panel from the Commander cost $350 and will not be available until July. I told my dealer to order me one when he is able to do so.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So, that raises another question. Does the Commander muffler fit a Maverick Trail? And is it a quieter muffler than the muffler on the Maverick Trail? If that is the case then maybe I should have my dealer order the different muffler for the Commander while he is at it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No,, it's because typical audio "sound deadener" doesn't have the physical properties to "reduce" exterior noise. It's not intended for that purpose,,, it's just what many (including me at that time) assume that it was designed to do.
You are correct in a sense. Referring strictly to your test subject (new truck) I was saying that you may not have seen a benefit because the engineers already designed it to reduce noise/vibration/harshness. Apply the same pre/post test to a vehicle from the 70s/80s/90s and I can about guarantee that you will see a difference. I lived it. Will my '70 Barracuda ever be as quiet as my '21 Ram? No, but I'm sure going to try!
Also, there are basically 2 types of "sound deadener" and we must use the correct product for the problem noise at hand (as you discovered). One for resonant frequencies (think rattling metal) and one for acoustic transmission (think road/tire noise). Standard asphalt-based sheets applied to the interior panels will help with resonance but not do much to deter transmitted. Wind noise is a whole different animal.

Now, how does all of this apply to our Mavs? The majority of the offending sound is acoustic. Adding mass between the rider and the offending noise will in fact reduce the effect of that noise. "Mass" and "reduce" being the key words here. Thin sheets applied to the rear firewall will have minimal effect because the sound is still transmitted through them because they have little mass and plastic doesn't resonate like steel (which does indeed go to the point X3 Poor made about people getting the wrong idea about the effectiveness of certain sound deadeners). Adding a panel that is made up of multiple layers of differing material compounds stands a much better chance at stopping that engine noise from reaching the riders directly. Sound will travel in all directions so a rear panel will only reduce the noise reaching us, not eliminate it entirely. We must always weigh cost/benefit.
There are several other factors that get much deeper into the physics of all this but I suspect most readers' eyes have already glazed over. o_O

I ordered the 2 Commander panels and was also told mid-July. I did not pay $350.

·
Registered
317 Posts
So, that raises another question. Does the Commander muffler fit a Maverick Trail? And is it a quieter muffler than the muffler on the Maverick Trail? If that is the case then maybe I should have my dealer order the different muffler for the Commander while he is at it.
I'm confident it will only fit on 1000r machines.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well if you are "confident" it will fit a Maverick Trail 1000, then that works for me, because mine is a 1000. Are you confident that the Commander muffler is quieter than the stock Maverick Trail 1000 muffler?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You are correct in a sense. Referring strictly to your test subject (new truck) I was saying that you may not have seen a benefit because the engineers already designed it to reduce noise/vibration/harshness. Apply the same pre/post test to a vehicle from the 70s/80s/90s and I can about guarantee that you will see a difference. I lived it. Will my '70 Barracuda ever be as quiet as my '21 Ram? No, but I'm sure going to try!
Also, there are basically 2 types of "sound deadener" and we must use the correct product for the problem noise at hand (as you discovered). One for resonant frequencies (think rattling metal) and one for acoustic transmission (think road/tire noise). Standard asphalt-based sheets applied to the interior panels will help with resonance but not do much to deter transmitted. Wind noise is a whole different animal.

Now, how does all of this apply to our Mavs? The majority of the offending sound is acoustic. Adding mass between the rider and the offending noise will in fact reduce the effect of that noise. "Mass" and "reduce" being the key words here. Thin sheets applied to the rear firewall will have minimal effect because the sound is still transmitted through them because they have little mass and plastic doesn't resonate like steel (which does indeed go to the point X3 Poor made about people getting the wrong idea about the effectiveness of certain sound deadeners). Adding a panel that is made up of multiple layers of differing material compounds stands a much better chance at stopping that engine noise from reaching the riders directly. Sound will travel in all directions so a rear panel will only reduce the noise reaching us, not eliminate it entirely. We must always weigh cost/benefit.
There are several other factors that get much deeper into the physics of all this but I suspect most readers' eyes have already glazed over. o_O

I ordered the 2 Commander panels and was also told mid-July. I did not pay $350.
Would you recommend the accoustic panel i got a 1000r and want to quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed them on ours and feel it reduced the noise coming from the engine significantly. I still consider it to be a loud machine in general though. Our new Defender Pro makes the XRC seem like a squalling cat. :ROFLMAO:
I know what you mean. We were on a ride on sand and it was consistently running around 6000 rpms and I thought i was going to lose my hearing lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
I strongly disagree with everyone saying sound deadener doesn't work. I have 2021 maverick trail 800. I put 80mm noico sound deadener on the back wall, under the seats and under dash/floor area. Then I went over it with noico 315mm closed foam and it was night and day difference. I can be going 70 mph on the road and it's quite and can carry on a conversation no yelling required. No I don't wear helmets. Also have kenwood stereo with mtx 6.5s components and a 8 inch nvx low pro sub. I also put 80mm noico on the inside of my plastic can am sport roof. I bought the black version of the noico 80mm. Don't matter if you use the sliver if you're going to use the closed foam over it. That's just my opinion on this subject with my personal experience. Also I have the sport doors and full windshield not upper doors yet.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts