Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on soundproofing MT 2020. Full cab but the noise is too much. I started by putting some butyl on the back behind the seats. Anywhere else i need to place it to get the best possible soundproofing? Any pics?

·
Premium Member
12,684 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Soundproofing on a SXS? Seriously?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use it for a daily driver since im 16 in norway and im allowed to drive it if its registered as a tractor. So yes i need it

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Buy ear plugs. Only way to make it quieter or a helmet. You’re pissing in the wind with anything else. 3m makes some good head phone that are Bluetooth I use them on my zero turn mower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy ear plugs. Only way to make it quieter or a helmet. You’re pissing in the wind with anything else. 3m makes some good head phone that are Bluetooth I use them on my zero turn mower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
U sure it doesnt help to place sound deadener?

·
Registered
6 Posts
use the search bar that's on the top, there are lots of threads I have a SSV system that is made for the MT that's not bad for the price

·
Registered
979 Posts
I used thermo tec heat and sound matt on my og maverick and it makes a difference, a hugh difference? No but it definitely helped

·
Registered
786 Posts
I used thermo tec heat and sound matt on my og maverick and it makes a difference, a hugh difference? No but it definitely helped
Do you think adding a double layer of thermo tec would have helped more with the heat and sound?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Im sure it would but wasn't sure it would be worth the weight
I was looking at the ones that adds more fire proofing, along with sound and heat proofing. At this point in my build I am already beyond the point of conserving on weight.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,354 Posts
I was looking at the ones that adds more fire proofing, along with sound and heat proofing. At this point in my build I am already beyond the point of conserving on weight.
The engine sound of the V twins are way more annoying than an X3. On the X3 it's clutch noise that is the problem but only around 5000 rpm as I'm sure you know by now.

Try driving it first without worrying about it. I had my CVT intake behind the seat blocked for months. Unblocked it a few weeks ago to drive hard and never put it back in. Didn't even notice it wasn't there for 3 or 4 rides haha. Got so used to the noise it doesn't even register anymore.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The engine sound of the V twins are way more annoying than an X3. On the X3 it's clutch noise that is the problem but only around 5000 rpm as I'm sure you know by now.

Try driving it first without worrying about it. I had my CVT intake behind the seat blocked for months. Unblocked it a few weeks ago to drive hard and never put it back in. Didn't even notice it wasn't there for 3 or 4 rides haha. Got so used to the noise it doesn't even register anymore.
Yes I have learned a lot about the X3 in the last 3 months. Reading a lot of the group posts definitely is an educational experience. I will be attempting to achieve a few things. 1) Make it a little safer with some fire protection (fire extinguisher, fire proofing). 2) Make it a little cooler(ceramic tint, Thermal fire blanket with sound absorbing, ceramic exhaust wrap, additional heat shields) 3) Reduce engine sound in the cab area(thermal sound blanket, windows, CVT intake relocate). The good thing is that most of what I am trying to do is overlapping each other, so its a win/win situation. I will be doing this all after I have a chance to take it out and enjoy a few days of riding. Several fire extinguishers are going in before I get it from the dealer as I am not taking any chances. Fire is one of my biggest concerns as I have been around lots of equipment that has burned to the ground while I watched helpless after the fire extinguisher quit working. Fires start so easily with just dry leaves or oil hitting the hot turbo so I will be doing everything I can do to be prepared to put the fire out if it was to ever happen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The parts aren’t currently available, but people have been using the new Commanders back wall panels to cut down on the engine noise, the is a FB post about it

·
Registered
105 Posts
The parts aren’t currently available, but people have been using the new Commanders back wall panels to cut down on the engine noise, the is a FB post about it
Yes, I just installed one this afternoon. Haven’t ridden with it yet though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
U sure it doesnt help to place sound deadener?
No it won't help. Many think this stuff reduces engine/road noise etc. It doesn't do it with enough efficiency that your ears will notice. It's designed to keep metal panels from ringing/rattling/resonating when exposed to high SPL,, that's it.

I'm a fairly big audio buff. (amateur,,, but fairly experienced) I'm also an engineer,,, so when I try to prove if something works, I generally try to do it as "scientifically" as possible. I'm also a sceptic. I have NO issues calling out sub par equipment regardless of what I paid for it. (this is where many have a hard time)

As an experiment, I decided to see if sound deadener would help in a new audio install I was completing on a new Truck I purchased. Being an HT guy,,, I had SPL meters etc so I drove down a known mile stretch of road near my home at the speed limit and logged the interior sound via logger and SPL meter. (as a Pre test)

I then ripped out the interior of my brand new truck and covered every inch of metal with good quality sound deadener. I didn't remove the dash but everything else came out.

I then completed the same test, on the same piece of road, same time of day, same speed etc. The difference was 1.0db pre treatment to post treatment. That test was in a sealed up vehicle with carpet, big seats, metal body panels etc.

Summary: NO,,, sound treatment will not aid in reducing the noise in your SXS. Many swear they can tell a difference. My data says it's all placebo.

Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
786 Posts
No it won't help. Many think this stuff reduces engine/road noise etc. It doesn't do it with enough efficiency that your ears will notice. It's designed to keep metal panels from ringing/rattling/resonating when exposed to high SPL,, that's it.

I'm a fairly big audio buff. (amateur,,, but fairly experienced) I'm also an engineer,,, so when I try to prove if something works, I generally try to do it as "scientifically" as possible. I'm also a sceptic. I have NO issues calling out sub par equipment regardless of what I paid for it. (this is where many have a hard time)

As an experiment, I decided to see if sound deadener would help in a new audio install I was completing on a new Truck I purchased. Being an HT guy,,, I had SPL meters etc so I drove down a known mile stretch of road near my home at the speed limit and logged the interior sound via logger and SPL meter. (as a Pre test)

I then ripped out the interior of my brand new truck and covered every inch of metal with good quality sound deadener. I didn't remove the dash but everything else came out.

I then completed the same test, on the same piece of road, same time of day, same speed etc. The difference was 1.0db pre treatment to post treatment. That test was in a sealed up vehicle with carpet, big seats, metal body panels etc.

Summary: NO,,, sound treatment will not aid in reducing the noise in your SXS. Many swear they can tell a difference. My data says it's all placebo.

Take it for what it's worth. View attachment 268862

View attachment 268863
Did you have to slam your doors to get them to shut after all that sound proofing? I had to uncover some of the cab vent for my doors to close easier. window slightly down would also have done the trick. I don't see the cab vent on back panel so must be in another place?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nope,,, didn't cover the vent completely. Can't remember where it was tho.? Not sure it would have made a difference with that truck. The doors were HUGE, and very heavy,,, truck was sealed up pretty tight before and after the deadener install.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Somebody on FB did the actual tests with the factory rear panel from the new Commanders. I will have to copy the post over to here, but I think it dropped the cab noise from 89 to 77 dB and lowered the overall frequencies as well. He said the sound change was equivalent to wearing a helmet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts