Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out to St. Anthony last week with my wife for a couple hours crushing the dunes and had a good time. After scaring the living shit out of her and now I don't know if I'll get her back out there, big mistake! I noticed there were five po-po's running around, the 900 XTs with paddles and all that crap. My question is, WTF! Why are these guys running these things without any covers on the clutches? Does sand or dirt or water never get into the clutches?? I'm sorry but I think only a Nimrod would ever run that thing without the cover. Just sand particles alone getting in between the rollers and the buttons and ramps and everything else, will totally eat the shit out of those clutches after a while. Is it really worth saving the belt from the heat for a couple hundred bucks versus a couple a grand for new clutches? I just don't get some people. Or am I missing something here?:disappointed:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I ran my Mav without one for a while. But then I noticed the new belt was .250 narrower after a few hundred miles. Don't know if it was the efing texture that ///AIRDAM puts on the CVTech or sand, so I put the cover back on. As soon as I get my skids I'll install a new belt and run it without the cover again. After blowing a belt on my Rino, I took the cover off and ran it for 3000 miles on one belt. Heat is what kills the belts, so yes running it without one will make your belt last a lot longer. And on ours there's a fan behind the primary that pulls outside air in and then pushes it through. So that air will push a lot of sand out.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I ran a modified cover on my Teryx. I cut the factory alum cover into 2 halves lengthwise so I could change the belt without removing the gas tank. Having the open cover made the belt last a lot longer. In fact never blew a belt after that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That would not be possible in most riding situations unfortunately. Rocks, water, and mud don't play we'll with CVT systems I imagine. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts