Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is putting a 2500 lb cross country winch on his maverick.

I tried to tell him that that the rig will weight probably 2000 lbs by the time you put 2 people and all of their shit in it. That only leaves 500 lbs of resistance to get out of / over mud/rocks/logs.

I've got the 4000lb warn on mine and it hasn't failed me yet, but it had to work pretty hard to get me out of a few nasty spots.

Can anyone else back me up on this?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
hey buddy, you're making a bad winch choice! Go with a 4000 or 4500.. love my warn provantage 4500.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
good rule of thumb is always double your gross weight of you vehicle and accessories and that should be the winch rating.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yep if he is playing in mud he needs to go 5000. The suction hold mud can put on your buggy is absolutely amazing. If you were on your way back from a long ride ready to get back to camp and cook up a warm meal...then get stuck in deep muck that just sucked the whole buggy down, what would you rather have just barely enough or plenty of winch to pull ya out. Sometimes it's just "piece of mind"but in the case of a winch going 5000lbs isn't piece of mind it's a must. Find something else to save money on not the winch

·
Registered
256 Posts
Also to remember its only 2500 on last row of wraps. Gets less each row up. Figure 1/2 winch capacity when on top wrap.

If Im on the side of the trail posting ... its because Im waiting for you to catch up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Another reason I dont like mud. No need for a winch when you ride the dunes.

You're not riding the right dunes... Ive had plenty of need for wenches in the dunes. oh wait.........

Actually where we ride ive needed a winch on more than one occurance..

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
ya was gonna say have u seen sum of the witches eye's at glamis ? lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts