Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the sxs world. I was looking for some advice. Just got my maverick what should I NOT do with this thing? Like for example can I cross a creek?( Sorry to sound dumb) I'm just trying to gather as much advice as I can. I live in pgh pa so it will be mostly woods style riding. What parts should I have with me? Belt? Tie rods? Can I change a belt in the woods? My dealer claims that the clutch issue is worked out not sure if he's B.s ing me or not. But I've talked to some guys who had 40 + hrs on their machines and they have had no problems. Any input please thanks

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Just don't go deeper than your intakes on both sides, the one is next to your steering wheel and the other is on the passanger side..also just no when to use low range, like riding slow up ruff hills..

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Is it easy to get water in the cvt?
your clutch intake is next to the steering wheel under the plastic panel and the throttle body intake is behind the glovebox inside the passenger compartment.

you also have make sure when your exhaust and clutch outlet tubing are under water you do not turn the machine off.

If you get into water over your lap i would start paying attentionm if you are getting too deep.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm new to the sxs world. I was looking for some advice. Just got my maverick what should I NOT do with this thing? Like for example can I cross a creek?( Sorry to sound dumb) I'm just trying to gather as much advice as I can. I live in pgh pa so it will be mostly woods style riding. What parts should I have with me? Belt? Tie rods? Can I change a belt in the woods? My dealer claims that the clutch issue is worked out not sure if he's B.s ing me or not. But I've talked to some guys who had 40 + hrs on their machines and they have had no problems. Any input please thanks
Where at in pgh? Where did you get your machine at? I'm 40 miles north of you.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ok, know where your at. How where they to deal with? I know stillers motorsports had a few mavs. The standard model. Got mine from moody's in mars. It's an xrs though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the regular mav. They where good. I was Moody's on Friday last week I bought my son a Polaris outlaw 90 and that's when I saw the mav. They gave me a good $ but Mosites beat it. Plus Mosites is a customer of mine so I felt better buying from them.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ur stock cvt exhaust snorkels come out about the same height as the top of ur center console in the rear. Ur cvt inlet and ur engine intake are the same height as ur steering wheel as stated before. U can order an aftermarket snorkel kit from performance atv for 315 bucks. Even if ur not into deep water riding, its worth the "insurance" to have them. They will extend ur snorkels all the way to the top of ur cage. If u dont install them and choose to stay with the factory set, then once water begins to wet ur ass I would start being extremely cautious on continuing any further. Never know when u have a drop off hiding down there. Also too, if u know ur gonna be in water even up to ur seat, get u a can of die electric grease and pull every single electrical connection u can find and die electric grease them. Do all sensors, plugs, every fuse and relay in ur fuse box as well. This is a little more of that insurance to keep ur machine functioning properly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good advice. Thank you. What about the whole belt thing? Should I carry an extra? Can it be changed out easy?

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Good advice. Thank you. What about the whole belt thing? Should I carry an extra? Can it be changed out easy?
yes and yes

buy a belt and wash it with dish soap and water to remove any oils. Tools are in your glovebox to remove the clutch cover. It would be better to buy a 10mm wratcheting wrench for the lower bolts that you have to reach from under the car. Also have a razor knife on hand to cut any strings stuck inside the clutch.

i would do a dry run in the garage just to make sure you are not learning out on the trail.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
yes and yes

buy a belt and wash it with dish soap and water to remove any oils. Tools are in your glovebox to remove the clutch cover. It would be better to buy a 10mm wratcheting wrench for the lower bolts that you have to reach from under the car. Also have a razor knife on hand to cut any strings stuck inside the clutch.

i would do a dry run in the garage just to make sure you are not learning out on the trail.
Actually the CVT cover bolts are 8mm, and the ratcheting wrench is almost a necessity. You can pull the 4 bottom bolts w/o it...but it'll be a bitch

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
There is a clutch tool to spread the secondary in the oem tool kit in the glove box

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did a dry run in my garage and I am glad I did. I found the tool kit does not have a 8mm wrench. I found that a 12" flex extension for a ratcheting screwdriver with a torx bit (i forgot what size it was. Maybe T-27) works really good. You still need the 8mm wrench to loosen up and tighten down the bolts. But it is a lot faster in my opinion.

I made a list of tools the tool kit needs. And I didn't even think about a razor knife. That was a good thought.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'd put a Leatherman/Gerber in there too. I do in all my toys. Those suckers have saved the day numerous times

1 - 18 of 18 Posts