Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
654 Posts
Bad advice. I keep my cash working for me in the market which is up over 30 percent in the past few years, that’s number one.

2. Many states, including the POS state I live in, NY, unlike California, only charge tax on the balance owed. If I trade in a vehicle for 70k and buy another for 100k, I pay tax on 30k. You’d have to sell privately for quite a few thousand more to come out close to even.

Car dealers, Powersport dealers, they almost all suck. I don’t car if your mother owns the dealer, you’ll still get robbed If you allow it.
There's no sales tax in Oregon (or Montana). I don't care how far up the market is, I'm not taking out a loan for a toy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So selling it outright (presumably you would get more than trading) would be better and bypass the dealer.
In general you are right. But at least here in NY sales tax is almost 9 percent. So if I trade a car to dealer and get 100k, which I got for my M5 (had 2500 miles in 8 months) I’d have to sell privately for about 109k to break even. And to sell privately people you don’t know come by, want to test drive it, etc. It can be dicey.
There is value in the ease of the transaction with dealer, At least the transactions I’ve engaged in unlike the OP unfortunately.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Very simple. COVID delays. Not at all unusual. And all temps are extended automatically under COVID rules. I drove my 2020 Raptor from an out if state dealer with no plates, didn’t bother with temp tag, for 6 months and never got pulled over.

I mean no offense to the person in the car business who commented, but I call BS. The day I believe a car dealer is the day I’ll shower with Sandusky just to get my back washed.

I have bought brand new in the past 6 years 7 Porsches, 3 Macans, a Panamera, 2 911s, and now my 2021 Cayenne GTS. Every car had a lien at time of trade. and that was from 5 different dealers from Ct to Jackson, Mississippi, dealers who didn’t know me from a hole in the wall. Each and every time they paid off the lien and put my equity toward the new vehicle and I drove away.

When I traded my Can Am 2020 XTP for my first SxS, I got 9500 toward the trade that day and drove home with the new one. I did not have the title. In fact, the dealer I bought from called me two days after the transaction and asked my permission to send the title to the dealer I traded in to.

I’m not saying the OP won’t get paid, I’m sure he will,

Oh, besides the Porsches, I’ve bought brand new 3 Ford Raptors, a Platinum, a 2021 Highlander, , a 2020 M5, and in and on. Yeah, I have a personality defect. Life is short and I live it to the hilt.

Now that I’m done with what you may regard as lunacy or bragging, I can tell you I’ve never, nor would I ever, leave a dealership without getting every dime I’m owed right then and there.
I have done a lot of trading and buying selling machines but it was my first time to sell to one like this . I fully agree with ya , just have to chalk it up to another lesson learned and work through it and get my money .

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's no sales tax in Oregon (or Montana). I don't care how far up the market is, I'm not taking out a loan for a toy.
To each their own. But if you do the math, you would see that keeping money growing, especially when interest rates on loans are so low, is not a bad way to go. But I get your point of view also.

I just bought my daughter a 2021 Toyota Highlander. Traded her 2015 CRV for 13k. Tax savings was another 1500 approximately, so had 14500 down on 40k purchase. Financed balance for 48 months at 650 a month. Total interest is about 1600. That 25k remaining in the market for 48 months, on average, and of course markets rise and fall, but if history is any judge, will earn about 10k.
In March 2019 when covid struck, markets collapsed. In 2008 markets collapsed. In 2008 the DOW was about 10,000. The NASDAQ was at 5,000. With 2 major hits in between, where are they now?
I’d rather get on average 10 percent on my money and pay 1.99 percent on a loan.

As I said, all that notwithstanding, some do not like having payments. Nothing wrong with that at all. But the math is the math. And numbers don’t lie.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
654 Posts
To each their own. But if you do the math, you would see that keeping money growing, especially when interest rates on loans are so low, is not a bad way to go. But I get your point of view also.

I just bought my daughter a 2021 Toyota Highlander. Traded her 2015 CRV for 13k. Tax savings was another 1500 approximately, so had 14500 down on 40k purchase. Financed balance for 48 months at 650 a month. Total interest is about 1600. That 25k remaining in the market for 48 months, on average, and of course markets rise and fall, but if history is any judge, will earn about 10k.
In March 2019 when covid struck, markets collapsed. In 2008 markets collapsed. In 2008 the DOW was about 10,000. The NASDAQ was at 5,000. With 2 major hits in between, where are they now?
I’d rather get on average 10 percent on my money and pay 1.99 percent on a loan.

As I said, all that notwithstanding, some do not like having payments. Nothing wrong with that at all. But the math is the math. And numbers don’t lie.
I've seen plenty of +10% investments go to -10% investments and when you're leveraged to the tits you start to have a hard time dealing with the negative equity. I don't care how you spin the stock market to me, I will never agree to accept debt on toys (and I have a stock account). Everyone was an expert back in '05 too and when the world burned the experts faded. Also, Lets also not act like recreational vehicle (ATV/UTV/RV/Boat/ETC) buyers are getting loans so they can maximize their stonks...because they aren't.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In general you are right. But at least here in NY sales tax is almost 9 percent. So if I trade a car to dealer and get 100k, which I got for my M5 (had 2500 miles in 8 months) I’d have to sell privately for about 109k to break even. And to sell privately people you don’t know come by, want to test drive it, etc. It can be dicey.
There is value in the ease of the transaction with dealer, At least the transactions I’ve engaged in unlike the OP unfortunately.
I agree on the ease of transaction, I'm lost on the selling for more to break even. When I sell a vehicle privately and replace it with a different vehicle I only pay the difference and I have 6 months to do it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very simple. COVID delays. Not at all unusual. And all temps are extended automatically under COVID rules. I drove my 2020 Raptor from an out if state dealer with no plates, didn’t bother with temp tag, for 6 months and never got pulled over.

I mean no offense to the person in the car business who commented, but I call BS. The day I believe a car dealer is the day I’ll shower with Sandusky just to get my back washed.

I have bought brand new in the past 6 years 7 Porsches, 3 Macans, a Panamera, 2 911s, and now my 2021 Cayenne GTS. Every car had a lien at time of trade. and that was from 5 different dealers from Ct to Jackson, Mississippi, dealers who didn’t know me from a hole in the wall. Each and every time they paid off the lien and put my equity toward the new vehicle and I drove away.

When I traded my Can Am 2020 XTP for my first SxS, I got 9500 toward the trade that day and drove home with the new one. I did not have the title. In fact, the dealer I bought from called me two days after the transaction and asked my permission to send the title to the dealer I traded in to.

I’m not saying the OP won’t get paid, I’m sure he will,

Oh, besides the Porsches, I’ve bought brand new 3 Ford Raptors, a Platinum, a 2021 Highlander, , a 2020 M5, and in and on. Yeah, I have a personality defect. Life is short and I live it to the hilt.

Now that I’m done with what you may regard as lunacy or bragging, I can tell you I’ve never, nor would I ever, leave a dealership without getting every dime I’m owed right then and there.
Big flex brother. You da man. Sounds like none of those cars you cashed out of but instead rolled over the equity into the new ride. We will do that all day every day. It’s the cash out that we won’t release til title is received. We have released cash to customers without title but it’s usually done with sugar over spice. You come in hot and we won’t go the extra mile for you. But hey, sounds like you got it all figured out. Believe me, don’t believe me, I don’t give a rats ass. It just tell it like it is.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I’d agree that financing a car at 1.9% is better than paying cash out of an investment account. What rate do you have on your Side by side? It ain’t no 1.9%. Right now we have an overly inflated market on cars, toys, houses etc. these things will be the first to crumble and leave people upside down. I chose to pay cash because I had it on hand and didn’t have to pull from investments. I did however, sell some other toys (6 quads and 2 dirt bikes) to be able to not have to finance. I like the idea of being able to sell at an instant without having to worry about a banks involvement (like said by another here, a slave to the bank). I feel like I’m just parking that money like it being in a savings account. To each their own. I understand and have lived on both sides. This is a debate that has been going on forever and I am much more comfortable in a debt free (actually a minimal debt) financial situation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Car dealers, Powersport dealers, they almost all suck. I don’t car if your mother owns the dealer, you’ll still get robbed If you allow it.
Add contractors, landscapers, shipping companies, rental agencies, pharma, stock brokers, engineers ……., the list goes on and on and on. You’re right, I get what I can on every deal. If a customer doesn’t want to play my game, I get what I can and move on the the next deal (best advise I ever got in my 30+ years in the biz). It’s business. I don’t rob people. I never take more money than a client is willing to spend. What do you do for a living? If sales is involved, I bet you do too. Like I said, It’s just business.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As COVID was just freaking everyone out last year, BRP was offering these cars at MSRP Out the Door and 0% financing. That was an excellent deal in my book. The dealer's floors were quickly empty and all that was sitting were Arctic Cat and RZR's. CA dealers were buying lots in Las Vegas and these sold like hotcakes until May 1st. Since then it's been a very tough market as a buyer; ADM, loan fees, set-up gouging, total free for all. Last year you couldn't find Triple Black or even the Silver/Red, everything was Blue!

Drove to Phoenix for the deal...

Dwayne

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Well brothers I picked the check up this evening ! Long story short , I made quite a few calls and texts cross referencing back and forth between the GM and the bank and they mailed the title out a day early and the GM drove and picked my check up and I went and got it .
Now if my X3 would hurry up and come in! This coming Tuesday will be a month on order .
Glad y’all followed along lol

·
Premium Member
14,073 Posts
Well brothers I picked the check up this evening ! Long story short , I made quite a few calls and texts cross referencing back and forth between the GM and the bank and they mailed the title out a day early and the GM drove and picked my check up and I went and got it .
Now if my X3 would hurry up and come in! This coming Tuesday will be a month on order .
Glad y’all followed along lol
Glad part of the nightmare is over! The waiting could be worse though, LOL!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
This sucks . There is zero evidence in sight when any 2022 200hp RRs will be arriving . Been calling dealers all morning and one guy told me it could be 2023 before he has a 200hp RR in because he can’t even order it yet . Said that just because can am puts the ads out and brochures doesn’t mean they’re even producing the RR yet. They’re producing the 120hp version and one dealer has one now . 2022 120hp x3.
Bummed out . Had heart set on the 200 but the wife is now very upset at me because we’ve ordered all these accessories and absolutely no delivery in sight for the RR any time soon. Making calls now and may just get a 120hp and be done with it .

·
Premium Member
14,073 Posts
This sucks . There is zero evidence in sight when any 2022 200hp RRs will be arriving . Been calling dealers all morning and one guy told me it could be 2023 before he has a 200hp RR in because he can’t even order it yet . Said that just because can am puts the ads out and brochures doesn’t mean they’re even producing the RR yet. They’re producing the 120hp version and one dealer has one now . 2022 120hp x3.
Bummed out . Had heart set on the 200 but the wife is now very upset at me because we’ve ordered all these accessories and absolutely no delivery in sight for the RR any time soon. Making calls now and may just get a 120hp and be done with it .
Told you the waiting would be worse! I really can't see it before November "if" that soon. They're still delivering 21s. Hang it there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The 120 after a call to EVO and a few bucks is 205HP... Just Sayin If you can resist that temptation, I'd bet money you'll start seeing the 22's slowly start coming into stock around the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is Can am taking sales tactics from speed UTV?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Making calls now and may just get a 120hp and be done with it .
Terrible idea.

Take if from someone who has learned the hard way in just about every hobby he's been interested in. (cars/streetbikes/dirtbikes/quads/sxs's/Toy Haulers/Guns/Home Theater) The hobby doesn't matter,,, it's the thought process.

WAIT/SAVE for what you want,,, not what you can get/afford today. You'll just be trying to flip that overpriced 120 for a 200 next year, and repurchasing all the accessories to outfit it the way you like. You'll justify it to yourself by saying that you'll swap all the accessories over,,, but you won't.

If you just don't have the willpower to wait, find another hobby to occupy your time until SXS's are more readily available, or cancel the order and find a good used one. They are out there,,, you just have to do some research and be a little patient. Patience does not seem to be one of your character traits,,,,, but if you're waiting anyway,,,,, put it to use.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts