Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if any of my fellow enthusiasts have experienced this . I sold my Trail to a local power sports dealer and was told by the GM I’d receive payment in a few days , was upfront that I wouldn’t get paid immediately at the dealership when i delivered it. That turned into “the finance department can’t guarantee me the check will arrive that soon”. Then it turned into since there was still a small lien owed to the bank it’ll be a couple weeks before they can pay me because they have to receive the title .

I looked at their website and they now have it posted for sale with full pics and descriptions and I haven’t been paid a dime yet which obviously has sent my temper through the roof . I’ve always been pleasant to deal with but I’ve only got about one “pleasant” text to the GM left in me before I go nuclear . Appreciate any experiences and feedback . We truly never stop learning lessons .

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
I kind of think they are partially telling you the truth. If you owed on it, the lien has to be payed off first. Then the dealer would get the title. However, how can they list it if they don't have the title?

I would stop by the dealership and talk to the same GM, and pose the same question. How are they selling it without the title? If they have the title, where is my money? Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is how I feel about getting the paperwork to get plates for my 21 F350 I bought out of state. I’m a 60 day and two 30 day tags into this. At least they keep sending me temps.

Im sure you’ll get your money, but they’ll keep dicking around until you get loud.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kind of think they are partially telling you the truth. If you owed on it, the lien has to be payed off first. Then the dealer would get the title. However, how can they list it if they don't have the title?

I would stop by the dealership and talk to the same GM, and pose the same question. How are they selling it without the title? If they have the title, where is my money? Good luck, let us know what happens.
Bingo brother . That’s why my anger soared because I was like WAIT, how are they now publishing it for sale without the title ? I’ll follow up for sure .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is how I feel about getting the paperwork to get plates for my 21 F350 I bought out of state. I’m a 60 day and two 30 day tags into this. At least they keep sending me temps.

Im sure you’ll get your money, but they’ll keep dicking around until you get loud.
Oh man we are in middle of the same thing ! We bought my wife a Toyota Sequoia in texas back on Mother’s Day weekend and we’ve had two 60 day temps emailed to us . They finally said the plates had been mailed to our local DMV. Crazy .

yea I’m trying hard not to be an complete rear end to them tomorrow but I’m owed almost $10k.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
589 Posts

I bought a camper out of state last year and it took a year to get the plates and title. Not kidding, an entire year. No lien, no banks, MSO in hand, no complications...the DMV just sat on it for a year.

As far as the OP goes, the powersports industry is shady as hell. I'd probably pay them a visit.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,025 Posts
I bought a camper out of state last year and it took a year to get the plates and title. Not kidding, an entire year. No lien, no banks, MSO in hand, no complications...the DMV just sat on it for a year.

As far as the OP goes, the powersports industry is shady as hell. I'd probably pay them a visit.
What do you mean by...."pay them a visit"?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m in the car biz and this is commonplace and a lot of customers get riled up about it when they are not explained properly. When we pay off a car with a lien, we can not pay the balance to the customer until we receive title from the lien holder. This takes a long time. I’d say at least 4 weeks. We can sell the car without title but we can’t process the new dmv until we receive title. My guess it’s the same across all industries that deal with paying off loans. It goes like this….. trade in car and buy a new one on day 1. Process paperwork at dealership and send out paperwork to the bank on new car by mail (maybe a couple days to process paperwork) add another day for overnight package. Bank processes paperwork (couple days) then pays dealership. Once funds received, a check is cut (sits in box for managers signatures for a day or two usually) then gets overnighted to bank to pay off loan (our goal is to pay off the loan within 10 days) Banks sit on paperwork for a few days (or longer) and then sends title. From bank receiving payoff check to sending title is usually a couple weeks. For us, this is the most frustrating part since we have no control of how long it takes for bank to deliver title after payoff. All we can tell customer is it is in process and if they need more info, they can call the bank and ask them. Bottom line is honest communication is key. Need to set realistic expectations. Sounds like that was not the case with your dealer. IMHO the only thing the dealer did wrong has been setting expectations.

·
Premium Member
8,216 Posts
I’m in the car biz and this is commonplace and a lot of customers get riled up about it when they are not explained properly. When we pay off a car with a lien, we can not pay the balance to the customer until we receive title from the lien holder. This takes a long time. I’d say at least 4 weeks. We can sell the car without title but we can’t process the new dmv until we receive title. My guess it’s the same across all industries that deal with paying off loans. It goes like this….. trade in car and buy a new one on day 1. Process paperwork at dealership and send out paperwork to the bank on new car by mail (maybe a couple days to process paperwork) add another day for overnight package. Bank processes paperwork (couple days) then pays dealership. Once funds received, a check is cut (sits in box for managers signatures for a day or two usually) then gets overnighted to bank to pay off loan (our goal is to pay off the loan within 10 days) Banks sit on paperwork for a few days (or longer) and then sends title. From bank receiving payoff check to sending title is usually a couple weeks. For us, this is the most frustrating part since we have no control of how long it takes for bank to deliver title after payoff. All we can tell customer is it is in process and if they need more info, they can call the bank and ask them. Bottom line is honest communication is key. Need to set realistic expectations. Sounds like that was not the case with your dealer. IMHO the only thing the dealer did wrong has been setting expectations.
Great info. Tim

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Lol that’s how i felt up there cascade .
You nailed it , that’s what I told my wife is that why didn’t be fully explain all this when he wanted to purchase it for their inventory . Fully informing me of the process instead of making me feel I’d be paid in a few days would have went a long long way .
I had told the guy I’d pay it off and get the title and bring it and the machine to them soon as it came in but they wanted to go this route . Thanks for the info !

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
just be careful with some places. Back in the day i traded in my old S10 ZR2 for a more family friendly ride. When going through the process the finance department told me that there was still a lien on my truck. I laughed and said "BS". I paid it off within 4 years of buying it, and i was in year 10 of ownership, and i then laid the title down on the desk with the banks sign off on it.. She shut right up and said "there must be a mistake somewhere then"

maybe your dealer doesn't have the cash to pay you back, so they are selling it to get the money? lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
just be careful with some places. Back in the day i traded in my old S10 ZR2 for a more family friendly ride. When going through the process the finance department told me that there was still a lien on my truck. I laughed and said "BS". I paid it off within 4 years of buying it, and i was in year 10 of ownership, and i then laid the title down on the desk with the banks sign off on it.. She shut right up and said "there must be a mistake somewhere then"

maybe your dealer doesn't have the cash to pay you back, so they are selling it to get the money? lol
Sometimes the Lien holder does not get removed from the registration. Another common issue for trade ins. If you have title, you’re all good. If you lost title or never received one, you need a notarized lien release from the lender listed on registration. Dealer can not get a lien released and it has to be done by the seller. Pain in the butt for everyone.

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
Sometimes the Lien holder does not get removed from the registration. Another common issue for trade ins. If you have title, you’re all good. If you lost title or never received one, you need a notarized lien release from the lender listed on registration. Dealer can not get a lien released and it has to be done by the seller. Pain in the butt for everyone.
There's a lien holder on the registration? How is that possible? I was under the impression that the owner's name and address is on a registration? Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called the bank this morning , and they informed me they hadn’t received anything yet and still showed it as my active loan with no attached info notes. Obviously this angered me so I called the GM again and while upset kept it professional that I hadn’t heard any updates and the bank didn’t know jack after yet another week passing, and that I saw they had it for sale and was selling a machine they hadn’t even paid me for . He got on the phone and called back and told me they sent the check Monday that they should get it today or tomorrow and I had him send me the check # and amount it was written for so I could verify with the bank in a day or so .
That is where we’re at now . LOL.

Never again. Thanks for everyone’s info !

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
I called the bank this morning , and they informed me they hadn’t received anything yet and still showed it as my active loan with no attached info notes. Obviously this angered me so I called the GM again and while upset kept it professional that I hadn’t heard any updates and the bank didn’t know jack after yet another week passing, and that I saw they had it for sale and was selling a machine they hadn’t even paid me for . He got on the phone and called back and told me they sent the check Monday that they should get it today or tomorrow and I had him send me the check # and amount it was written for so I could verify with the bank in a day or so .

So you got the old "Check's in the Mail" line?

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
589 Posts

Consumer debt is slavery. Pay cash and avoid all of this nonsense.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts