Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand, and how is it holding up? How much boost, and what hp? Thinking about starting a "Maverick turbo" savings acount.:big smile:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Dude are you sure you wanna go down that road?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not yet anyway but maybe sooner than later. Inquiering minds want to know...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Me too! I am on the fence about it and would like to also hear from some people that have actually installed one. Right now I am leaning toward the Silber kit. I have had a turbo Weber in a "S" and I have had an Aerocharger in an "S". Both were good machines and I loved the power but I have never had a Rotax with a turbo. From what I understand the Aerocharger kit does not require a shim under the head, the Silber turbo does. Of course, the Silber kit will make more boost and therefore make more top end power but you have to take the heads off to install the shims. The only thing that worries me about the Silber kit is that it does not use a intercooler. I called the manufacturer and they said it didn't need it?????? They also said they tried using one and it made it have a little turbo lag and didn't drop the temp enough to justify having it. He also said that where the placement is for the added injector helps cool the charge. I am not sure about that but that is what he told me. Like you, I would love to hear from someone that has actually installed one. Oh, he also told me that they come with a clutch kit but it really needed a different clutch. He said Team is coming out with an affordable primary in a few weeks. If you don't want the clutch kit he will knock off about $100 off the price.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Wow I'm surprised they even bothered messing with a clutch kit.

I would never turbo mine just due to my riding but I would like to see some detailed info and specs....and a couple reviews would be nice as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are the Silber kits still 3995? Somewhere here posted a link a while back that showed that price. $100 for the clutch kit? Must be a cheap ass kit. You would think 200-300 off

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I just worry about what it will do to the reliability.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
There is a turbo Mav running in the mud racing circuit, he is running a silber turbo set up with some nos to help it get going

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are the Silber kits still 3995? Somewhere here posted a link a while back that showed that price. $100 for the clutch kit? Must be a cheap ass kit. You would think 200-300 off
Seems like he told me the clutch kit was just weights. But, he did recomend changing to a STM secondary and either STM or the new Team primary that is coming out soon. We all know the clutch set up on these are marginal anyway so needing better clutching after installing a turbo is a no brainer. Yes, he said the price was $3995. You can adjust the boost levels and the controller will compinsate. It will run on pump gas, race gas or E85. Since there is a station close, if I buy one, I may look at the E85 route. The best I remember he said on race gas or E85 it will put out around 150hp. But, I am like the originator of this thread, I want to hear from someone that is actually running one. I am really close to buying one but I still don't want to pull the trigger till the new controller comes out in a few weeks (I think from Tunemonster). It will give you pretty much complete control of the motor and won't cut the throttle back like the stock ECU does now.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Wow I'm surprised they even bothered messing with a clutch kit.

I would never turbo mine just due to my riding but I would like to see some detailed info and specs....and a couple reviews would be nice as well.
What kind of riding do you do ? I know my homemade turbo kit on my commander works great in the wv mountains through mud holes and 2 foot creek crossings Have 1700 miles with the turbo and so far the exhaust hasn't cracked

·
Registered
107 Posts
Seems like he told me the clutch kit was just weights. But, he did recomend changing to a STM secondary and either STM or the new Team primary that is coming out soon. We all know the clutch set up on these are marginal anyway so needing better clutching after installing a turbo is a no brainer. Yes, he said the price was $3995. You can adjust the boost levels and the controller will compinsate. It will run on pump gas, race gas or E85. Since there is a station close, if I buy one, I may look at the E85 route. The best I remember he said on race gas or E85 it will put out around 150hp. But, I am like the originator of this thread, I want to hear from someone that is actually running one. I am really close to buying one but I still don't want to pull the trigger till the new controller comes out in a few weeks (I think from Tunemonster). It will give you pretty much complete control of the motor and won't cut the throttle back like the stock ECU does now.
Is that 150WHP? It seems with race gas and 14psi it should double the stock hp. Granted the head shims will lower compression and reduce non boosted power. Shit you can make 130hp with 7psi on an Xp900 without having to modify the motor

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I have a Turbo Rotax 840 that I have been running since 2006. with the STM clutches. You will need the clutches no way around it. I have a simple secondary computer that controls the 2 additional injectors and I used to run with out the intercooler with no problem and I thought we would try the intercooler out and I don't think it helped at all, if anything it caused a fuzzy bit of lag but not really noticeable. Im running 14psi of Boost. I might ditch the intercooler when I switch it over to E85 since it will be cooled better and have no worries of detonation and probably turn the boost up a little more. Im somewhere around 120hp to the wheel and it pulls hard. Turbos are not for everyone cause when you stand on the Go fast Pedal it does just that it Hits the Boost and Runs Like a Raped Ape so it helps to be Pointed in the right direction when you stand on it cause the front wheels are no longer touching the ground LOL.

You Guys will make close to 150HP no problem. Just run a big turbo cause it will use the Air. Im running GT 25 and I can flow a lot of Air. Some Places Ive seen are running to small of Turbos and claim that its fine but it will take more LOL.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sounds like fun but with that much power stuff starts coming apart quickly.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Things you hit because your moving so fast! :big smile:
I would prefer to have a Naturally aspirated Hp motor cause they have a more controllable power curve that doesn't hit with a lot of Violence all at once which might be just me cause when we go to the dunes and You hit the Bottom of a nasty hill and I stand on the Gas and it goes to full Boost it seriously sand blasts the hell at of anyone who got close to ya at the bottom of the dune. I can see the Roost of Sand in the rear view mirror and its Crazy how far it throws sand nobody likes to let me lead the way cause they get blasted bad.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would prefer to have a Naturally aspirated Hp motor cause they have a more controllable power curve that doesn't hit with a lot of Violence all at once which might be just me cause when we go to the dunes and You hit the Bottom of a nasty hill and I stand on the Gas and it goes to full Boost it seriously sand blasts the hell at of anyone who got close to ya at the bottom of the dune. I can see the Roost of Sand in the rear view mirror and its Crazy how far it throws sand nobody likes to let me lead the way cause they get blasted bad.
Yep. similar to 2 stroke when it hits their power band. Sling shot effect.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The only reason i can think of why there not using a intercooler on the kits for the mav is because the intake tubing has to run from the back of the car. all the way back to the front and up to the intake manafold. thers alot of surface area for heat to dissapate threw the tubing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts