Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 maverick xrs-dps model, November production 2013

been on 2 big rides, now time for first service

last ride was perfect, not a issue in the world, didn't smoke belt, etc. nothing that would kill the bike or such.

took and washed her up, detailed it as always, etc. parked it on trailer on concrete so its not a issue of critters crawling in.

had to use my trailer today , mav cranked up on first button push as always. I went to back it off trailer and noticed I had to give it more gas then usual, my trailer tilts so it came right off. I went to pull it around and park it... nahhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, all she would do is raise rpm's and barely pull. high, low, 4wd, etc... nothing. I hear what sounds like a bell clanking every once in a while.

no belt dust, etc. no smoke... just no pull..... what the hell????

if clutch came loose, its going to air dam or someone... but ran perfect when parked, now sitting for 2 weeks and something just goes bad?????

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't pulled the clutch cover, and it being little over 2 months since purchase, its not my place, that's what my first thought was also. but as long as I hit it up to over 6000 rpm it will finally inch some. I guess since first service will have first warranty lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Yes, sounds like the secondary bolt backed off. Don't run it like that or you could chew up some parts really quickly. Either pop the CVT cover and take a look or take it to the dealer.....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Depending on how good you washed it, you could have sprayed water into the clutch intake. It's happened to me before. Pull the cover.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
pull the drain plug first...it is much quicker....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill check the drain plug tonight when I get home, its snorkeled with the factory xmr snorkel kit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kinda what happened to me but all i did was stop at a stop sign, go to take off, high rpm barely moves then a brief metallic clang, a quick puff of belt smoke..... Got it home thinking i had broke the belt and this is what i found- secondary clutch bolt backed all the way out and pushed thru the plastic molded cover.... Its at my dealers now and they taking care of it with no cost to me, as it should be....hopefully you are just holding some water in yours!

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did your make a sound that sounds like one of the toy bell deals on kids bicycles?? mine every few seconds makes a ring ding ding noise?? also, hows the drain plug on the belt housing to check to drain? I haven't tried the mavericks, I know where it is on the outlanders and commanders

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
bottom rear of the CVT housing. There is an access hole on the factory skid plate.....crawl underneath and you will see it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks brother, same as commander then

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
you bet...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ya i guess the metal clang did sound kinda like a bell but i believe i only heard it the one time....i was at a fairly high speed for about 2 miles right before i stopped so its possible it was making that noise and i didnt hear it....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So... pulled the drain off, and probably 2 or 3 shot glasses of water came out, not much of anything. Water was black like it had belt dust in it but normal to what I could tell. Even reved it up and not much water blew out. I took 3rd snorkle tube lose and shine light in and can see clutch, not water lines or anything. Hell I have no clue!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Dude. The belt was wet. Rev it in neutral for a while and create some heat. Once the belt and clutches are dry u are good to go. Ck your snorkel for leaks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
2 or 3 shot glasses is a lot of water lol. The belt is maybe 1/4 inch from bottom of box.
The belt may be ok but I bet u burnt a spot in it. It will probably jerk during takeoff now.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im thinking it got in thru the snorkle behind the seat, 3rd snorkle in other words, we had 8" of rain in 3 days here, snorkles are tight thats the only 1 that isnt protected from the elements

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yeah, kinda sounds like wet belt, shouldn't be any water in it at all!! Leave plug out, rev in N and leave it sit over night in the dry, then try to engage it in gear next day, see if there is a diff. doesn't take much water to make them slip, if it drys out and does move, and you feel a slight "bump" as your trying drive, you may of hour glassed your belt, but usually it takes a lot to do that

·
Registered
164 Posts
i would take the CVT cover off and check everything out before the next ride …much easier to do in the garage then on the trail. then you could check belt and clean everything up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts