Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think most have if not all have claimed increased throttle response. I remember MrRPM claiming there was no HP increase or very little.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I used the search function for you and found this post. The top part is from Hunter works, and the last remarks are from Mr. RPM.

Originally Posted by Hunterworks

I just went and did our standard, remove the filters in the Mavericks case and put lid back on then remove lid and filters doing a dyno run each time.

The graph below shows the baseline the new one with 160lbs in the bed we will continue to use to control tire spin, the one with no filters and one with not filters or lid.

Just like every other vehicle we ever did this test on the gains are nothing and the air/fuel ratio changes too little to amount to anything. As bad as I want to sell another product I can't sell a intake or filter based on adding HP, I don't see it happening.

This is exactly what I'm seeing.

No power by removing the airbox completely, so how can any airbox, stock or otherwise, make any more power?

The 1000 ATV's are the same way.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
bulldogs get his super moderator status busted back down to newbie....:wink:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
lol

it makes it sounds super cool

·
Registered
161 Posts
Once again some unfounded claims of HP. Just build something and say more HP and people will buy it, no testing to back it up just a bunch of B.S. This gets old, but it has the bling going on! Here is one more reason not to believe everything you read.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
agree 928 sport. what is the gain here for 99% of people, no HP, which is the only reason to get one, ok, if your lucky you may get a touch of throttle response IF and I say IF your real lucky, again, that is to small for 99% of people to be a needed add on for over 300. however there site clearly states DRASTICALLY INCREASES THRTTLE RESPONCE AND HP- the word drastically bothers me. so I see no real valid point in this, especially when your not going to even see it most times. im all for items that prove or do something, but cant understand enough to value that when there is hp lack of gain.

from there site
Our new race air intake system drastically increases throttle response and horsepower while eliminating the restrictive factory intake system. Intake system has been highly engineered and tested providing maximum air flow to the motor.

$374.95

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The problem here is the factory system isn't restrictive. Therefor, no hp gain. I was a little concerned with the small inlet tube that goes from the box to the fire wall, so I cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox, screwed in a 2"? PVC fitting, and put a K&n air filter on it (just so sand doesn't go directly in there). Made no noticeable difference in throttle response or anything, but at least I'm not worried about that little inlet tube anymore. Lol

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
agree 928 sport. what is the gain here for 99% of people, no HP, which is the only reason to get one, ok, if your lucky you may get a touch of throttle response IF and I say IF your real lucky, again, that is to small for 99% of people to be a needed add on for over 300. however there site clearly states DRASTICALLY INCREASES THRTTLE RESPONCE AND HP- the word drastically bothers me. so I see no real valid point in this, especially when your not going to even see it most times. im all for items that prove or do something, but cant understand enough to value that when there is hp lack of gain.

from there site
Our new race air intake system drastically increases throttle response and horsepower while eliminating the restrictive factory intake system. Intake system has been highly engineered and tested providing maximum air flow to the motor.

$374.95
You are right on most accounts but I do have the intake and it does make a "noticable" improvement in throttle response to me. I think it responds quick on and off throttle under just about every condition I have put it thru....I purchased it because I intended on adding an aftermarket exhaust and doing the throttle body upgrade as well. And eventually planned on doing some motor work once the ECU roadblocks get ironed out and we get some real world results from end users that justify the costs of the upgrade.

So with that said, I didn't buy it expecting anything really but was thinking of the future when I plan on bumping up the HP and need more air volume to do so....Hell, I may end up with a turbo setup in which case, I won't need an airbox at all!

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The problem here is the factory system isn't restrictive. Therefor, no hp gain. I was a little concerned with the small inlet tube that goes from the box to the fire wall, so I cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox, screwed in a 2"? PVC fitting, and put a K&n air filter on it (just so sand doesn't go directly in there). Made no noticeable difference in throttle response or anything, but at least I'm not worried about that little inlet tube anymore. Lol
funny I popped mine off to, the lil tube to firewall , then realized putting intake hole in front of the heat from radiator prolly wasn't better and in the passenger side floor board was best like routed so I put it back

·
Registered
161 Posts
That is your choice to buy what you won't I on the other hand will not buy from a company that throws a bunch B.S around and will not back it up with any testing. I ask you? If they lie about one thing, why would you believe anything they say? In my book TurnKey gets a 2 out of 10 on this product, it looks cool but so what. The market already has to much crap that will not live up to what it is suppose to.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ive got the AirAid intake sitting here waiting to be installed. Im not spending $30 or whatever for new oem filters so I figured what the hell. Cant be any worse than factory.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
That is your choice to buy what you won't I on the other hand will not buy from a company that throws a bunch B.S around and will not back it up with any testing. I ask you? If they lie about one thing, why would you believe anything they say? In my book TurnKey gets a 2 out of 10 on this product, it looks cool but so what. The market already has to much crap that will not live up to what it is suppose to.
your absolutely correct....I think all of the aftermarket air intakes make the same claims more or less. So who do you choose if you are in the market for one then? I made my choice for various reasons and didn't base it off of their claims.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you read my entire thread regarding the Throttle Body upgrade and the other thread on the Air Raid upgrade I found when upgrading the Airbox, Throttle Body and Exhaust my mav was considerably faster.

I have maintained since day one that adding an Airbox, TB or Exhaust alone will gain you little or nothing. Doing all 3 and you will see a difference. The difference may not show some huge difference on a dyno but you will feel it in the peddle. I raced my friends built RZR 800 which is faster then a stock 900, we have raced so many times and I usually beat him by a few lengths. After add these upgrades I smoked him, 10 or 11 lengths. The other thing I forgot to mention is I added GBC Mongrels which are rated at 28s but measure at 29 inch and the QSC clutch. I will run my mav against anyone's and I am confident I will give them a run for there money even with the added weight of the reinforced cage and everything else I added. My Mav is much heavier then a stock one and me being 300 lbs of love muscle doesn't help either.

I'm actually pulling the QSC off tomorrow and sending it to Casey. I figured this would be a good time to throw the stockers back on and take it for a spin. I will let you know how it runs.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Swerve...couldn't agree with you more......I am still saving up for the exhaust and will pick up the TB of eBay in the next week or so.....still trying to decide on which exhaust.....Alba, Muzzy's or Barkers.....do you think there is anything to gain by doing a full exhaust vs a 3/4? The reason I ask is my stock exhaust is wrapped and if it won't buy me anything, I can save the extra money and buy the fuel tuner....Also, curious what your clutch setup is since i have the same clutches.....I know they will most likely be different but always nice to compare if you are willing to share your secrets....:cool2:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Swerve...couldn't agree with you more......I am still saving up for the exhaust and will pick up the TB of eBay in the next week or so.....still trying to decide on which exhaust.....Alba, Muzzy's or Barkers.....do you think there is anything to gain by doing a full exhaust vs a 3/4? The reason I ask is my stock exhaust is wrapped and if it won't buy me anything, I can save the extra money and buy the fuel tuner....Also, curious what your clutch setup is since i have the same clutches.....I know they will most likely be different but always nice to compare if you are willing to share your secrets....:cool2:
I have been a fan of Muzzy's for years. I believe the full muzzy exhaust is the best you can buy and sounds outstanding. I run the quiet cores and they sound perfect. Personally I would run the full. It's tuned perfectly and not hard to replace. Some of the guys here say the Muzzy tuner is junk but I think it is great. I was able to use the Air/Fuel Gauge and Oxygen Sensor I bought from you and dial in my new setup in a matter of minutes.

The install is not too bad. I bought some wrap, ceramic paint and wrap ties at my local auto parts store and went to town. I wrapped the crap out of them. Muzzy includes enough to get it done but I wanted it a little thicker. When I pull that clutch out tomorrow I will see how my wrapping skills held up. I used the wrap zip ties and let the wrap dry for a day or two (more) and painted the crap out of the wrap. I did 3 coats. (Where some rubber gloves when handling the wrap)

As for Alba and Barkers, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I almost went with the Barkers however the sponsorship program they had wasn't all that great and Muzzy did me a right as they always do. The same is true for HMF, all good setups but I think Muzzy has it dialed in better then anyone. I know all the talk about dyno this and dyno that gets out of hand.

The deal is the Maverick engine was opened up, its air/fuel flow is really good compared to the commander. When you are taking an engine that is already opened up and trying to open it up that much more, its going to be hard to get much more on the dyno. I know what I did made a difference. I can't wait to get my hands on an affordable ECU with programming capabilities. I remember the MSD setup for my Rhino and fine tuning the fuel map was really a lot of fun and made a huge difference (Ask Todd at Hunterworks). I am hoping Steve at monster ecu is able to lower the price, it would be a huge seller.

One thing I noticed from all these upgrades I did was the shaft saver is so F-N annoying now. Before I hardly noticed it, now I want to scrap my entire rig!! I might have my hands on a gizmo though. I sent my VIN to Can-am and I am hoping I get one.

I just got my STM from Kris a few days ago, I have no idea how its setup:) I gave him my specs and he worked his Cold Blooded Magic. We will see how it runs. I will let you know the setup when I get a chance to get into it.

Sorry for rambling:)

Dennis

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I have been a fan of Muzzy's for years. I believe the full muzzy exhaust is the best you can buy and sounds outstanding. I run the quiet cores and they sound perfect. Personally I would run the full. It's tuned perfectly and not hard to replace. Some of the guys here say the Muzzy tuner is junk but I think it is great. I was able to use the Air/Fuel Gauge and Oxygen Sensor I bought from you and dial in my new setup in a matter of minutes.

The install is not too bad. I bought some wrap, ceramic paint and wrap ties at my local auto parts store and went to town. I wrapped the crap out of them. Muzzy includes enough to get it done but I wanted it a little thicker. When I pull that clutch out tomorrow I will see how my wrapping skills held up. I used the wrap zip ties and let the wrap dry for a day or two (more) and painted the crap out of the wrap. I did 3 coats. (Where some rubber gloves when handling the wrap)

As for Alba and Barkers, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I almost went with the Barkers however the sponsorship program they had wasn't all that great and Muzzy did me a right as they always do. The same is true for HMF, all good setups but I think Muzzy has it dialed in better then anyone. I know all the talk about dyno this and dyno that gets out of hand.

The deal is the Maverick engine was opened up, its air/fuel flow is really good compared to the commander. When you are taking an engine that is already opened up and trying to open it up that much more, its going to be hard to get much more on the dyno. I know what I did made a difference. I can't wait to get my hands on an affordable ECU with programming capabilities. I remember the MSD setup for my Rhino and fine tuning the fuel map was really a lot of fun and made a huge difference (Ask Todd at Hunterworks). I am hoping Steve at monster ecu is able to lower the price, it would be a huge seller.

One thing I noticed from all these upgrades I did was the shaft saver is so F-N annoying now. Before I hardly noticed it, now I want to scrap my entire rig!! I might have my hands on a gizmo though. I sent my VIN to Can-am and I am hoping I get one.

I just got my STM from Kris a few days ago, I have no idea how its setup:) I gave him my specs and he worked his Cold Blooded Magic. We will see how it runs. I will let you know the setup when I get a chance to get into it.

Sorry for rambling:)

Dennis
Thanks Dennis your Da' man! So you are saying you wrapped your headers and then ceramic coated them???? I have never heard of that.....can you snap a few pics for me when you open'er up to swap out the clutch. I wrapped my stock headers and yea, I wished I had worn long sleeve shirt too.....My forearms were all irritated for about a week. (Lesson learned).

Muzzy's is at the top of my list.....I am afraid the barkers might be a bit too loud for my liking......Alba has always made great stuff but not much feedback as of yet from the folks who have theirs now....so it's looking like Muzzy's at this point in time.

Yea, I am excited to see what will become of the ECU upgrades......I am hoping with a free breathing exhaust and intake (with TB) that the ECU will allow you to get a little extra out of the engine without any modifications.....

Hell.....I may scrap all of this if Kelly at KMS gets the Silber turbo figured out. He told me check back in a few weeks because he thought he would have the last few issues figured out by then......

I appreciate you sharing your info openly on the forum. There are plenty of folks that are not as willing to share their setups for some silly reason. I have nothing to hide......I am not making a living racing so I don't really care....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks Dennis your Da' man! So you are saying you wrapped your headers and then ceramic coated them???? I have never heard of that.....can you snap a few pics for me when you open'er up to swap out the clutch. I wrapped my stock headers and yea, I wished I had worn long sleeve shirt too.....My forearms were all irritated for about a week. (Lesson learned).
I'd share anything if it would help a Maverick owner beat a Polaris XP1k. It's that simple.

Silicon (not ceramic, sorry) coating like this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010110/overview/

Check out these two videos. These guys explain it really well. DEI makes a paint for painting over your header wrap. It seals it and helps keep dirt and dust out. One more thing to mention, some people say do not wet the wrap before wrapping, I tried a small section without water and it was a pain in the ass!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts