Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m glad I stumbled on to your build. I dig things that are “outside the box”. I just wrapped up an XRC (Sport platform) build with a ton of custom fab/tube work and features rear steering. Anyway, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love it! I’ve toyed with the same idea, my biggest concern is the weight though. Those big thick plates look like 1/2 steel, they are heavy. I’ve looked at some 1-1/2 DOM .090 wall, (I think it’s DOM) and it seems so much heavier, perfect for strength but using the same engine will make it slower then the stock buggy. Looks like they used 0.070 for the frame, but it seems so light. I feel the like frame will be twice as heavy as the stock one. I want a stronger frame but I want my speed to 😁! You are definitely going to have to get a bigger turbo! Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nothing too crazy today... started thinking about my tunnel a little before my seat comes so I can get it mounted. The top piece in the back will come out with the lid as to provide easy access to my prop shaft should I need it. Still fiddling with my steering to kill the angle on my steering shaft as well.. View attachment 264213 View attachment 264214
Ditch that oem steering wheel. Get a larger D shaped removable one. Move leverage and comfort plus increased security when left unattended

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ditch that oem steering wheel. Get a larger D shaped removable one. Move leverage and comfort plus increased security when left unattended
Ordered a quick attach deal and a wheel.. just waiting..trying to do all my welding around things I won't use again as not to char the hell out of things.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I love it! I’ve toyed with the same idea, my biggest concern is the weight though. Those big thick plates look like 1/2 steel, they are heavy. I’ve looked at some 1-1/2 DOM .090 wall, (I think it’s DOM) and it seems so much heavier, perfect for strength but using the same engine will make it slower then the stock buggy. Looks like they used 0.070 for the frame, but it seems so light. I feel the like frame will be twice as heavy as the stock one. I want a stronger frame but I want my speed to 😁! You are definitely going to have to get a bigger turbo! Keep up the good work.
The weight factor has crossed my mind... and my thoughts are maybe not the most efficient but here goes...
In total I don't see this as a speed machine anymore .I had the original xrc for a whole summer and took it out 1 weekend to windrock. I totally dig the gnarly hillclimbs and bashing on rocks, hence the things like 1/2 inch plate and .120 wall tubing.....
As soon as this one is done I have intentions of starting another one and touching on things like weight. Changing some things I don't particularly appreciate about this on...
Like I say... not really a fabricator or offroad guru.. I just saw these things and wanted one..so here I am.. I will definitely weigh it when it's over and post it.. as it sits right now.. from handling and moving both frames around my garage. I personally don't feel like I'm doing to bad on weight.. although I do plan on some power upgrades it will be interesting to see where things end up as far as like a power:weight ratio goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Got some of the pipes in on the back of the cab. Eyeballing some rear suspension stuff...
All the while thinking about all the stuff I don't know about... like clutch stuff. Or maybe a gear reduction kit for the transmission.. im pretty sure that with the 32" tires and a little extra weight ima need to make some adjustments...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

This is standing on its own. Keep in mind I've made no suspension adjustments. With the height it's sitting at I'm no longer worried about any weight issues as she's pretty perky.. ride height was actually figured to be quite a bit lower. All in all I'm satisfied I guess. Don't know enough to be disappointed yet so I'll keep plugging away. Looking at figuring out intercooler mount and some electrical and plumbing rough routing and trying to tie up some loose ends today...(y)

·
Registered
153 Posts
View attachment 264364
This is standing on its own. Keep in mind I've made no suspension adjustments. With the height it's sitting at I'm no longer worried about any weight issues as she's pretty perky.. ride height was actually figured to be quite a bit lower. All in all I'm satisfied I guess. Don't know enough to be disappointed yet so I'll keep plugging away. Looking at figuring out intercooler mount and some electrical and plumbing rough routing and trying to tie up some loose ends today...(y)
Being that's its a one seater I'm sure that and the factory plastics/ brackets ect probably a wash for weight Mind you. If your doing doors aluminum skins lights wiring beer cooler it add up quick.

Looks great.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Maverick X3 RS Turbo R, RED & BLUE
7 Posts
Looks like a lot of work and engineering haha, something I'd start and abandon to the side of the shop later. Quick question, and maybe I glazed over it earlier, but why are you doing this? I mean, what is the end goal? Rock bouncer, hill climber, etc? Not to poo-poo on your parade, but seems like modifying the stock chassis would have been easier at this point and knowing the cost of steel - cheaper too.

I'll keep watching the build, keep up the good work! Looks way better than anything I'd ever dream up :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

Managed to sneak out for a minute and get my front end wrapped up a little bit.. went with a little cheap insurance on my bolt heads getting a gnarly case of rock rash seeing how they get a front seat on getting smashed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks like a lot of work and engineering haha, something I'd start and abandon to the side of the shop later. Quick question, and maybe I glazed over it earlier, but why are you doing this? I mean, what is the end goal? Rock bouncer, hill climber, etc? Not to poo-poo on your parade, but seems like modifying the stock chassis would have been easier at this point and knowing the cost of steel - cheaper too.

I'll keep watching the build, keep up the good work! Looks way better than anything I'd ever dream up :cool:
Rock bouncer/hill killer. I see the guys down south (I'm from michigan) doing the southern rock racing series and the bounty hills and such... looks like a blast. I went to an event and checked it out last summer.. decided to at least build something that could take the beating... who knows maybe ill sack up and go try the real deal...
All I know is that it looks like a blast, I'm tired of racing dirtbikes and I want to try it. If all else fails I learned a lot doing this. And I can swap my stuff back into the 2 seater.
As far as the chassis. I look at mine and think it's pretty cheesy..it wouldn't live through it without taking on a lot of damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No great strides this weekend...
Got some tabs done on the tunnel, a couple more pipes to finish things off. I got some .95 wall for all of the fill in pipes. Cut an angle on the rear of the tunnel to give a little more option as to seat angle. I wasn't going to jump right on putting a winch on it but I found a great spot so I made a mounting plate for that. Wanted to get it mounted but... well time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
started mounting the seat this week as well as a couple little things here and there with the little amounts of time I have after work and life all week...
Hope to get something done this weekend..

21 - 40 of 53 Posts