Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of been a lurker on here for a little while. Mainly reaping the benafits of such a vast wealth of knowledge...maybe even a little nervous to post what I got going for fear of the haters... but anyway I'm kinda new to the sxs thing just coming off a moto-x addiction. I bought an xrc and have been having a blast. That was until I went to an srrs event... after that I found my rig was sub par for what I really wanted to try.. so I went to work dismantling my xrc and started building a chassis as soon as I could get my hands on the tools to figure it out.

Now I'm no pro fabricator nor do I claim to be. Im just a concrete guy in everyday life. This has been quite the learning experience especially not having a clue about offroading things...

So so after sniffing out a million pictures and designs of how people are doing things, I've come up with a conglomerate of a lot of different peoples knowledge and methods of making stuff work. I wish my engineering could be more original but like I said I'm no fabricator. I've used designs from things I've seen on here as well as other places, but hey if it works right??
Its taken me a minute but here's what I got so far..
I figured ill probably get some hate but I'm sure there's a few people who would like to see it.. and ill continue to post as things progress... its a slow process as I work a lot but the end result should be fun at least... enjoy..
Happy new year yall...
(

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Welcome aboard and enjoy building the new toy. The journey is as much fun as driving the completed project. Been there done that a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Welcome!

You got to start somewhere! If its out of your wheel house

The only suggestion is you have some seriously beefy plate don’t be afraid of using alloys for you mounting points

Unless you planning on drilling them to lighten you’ll be amazed how weight adds up. In the off road racing classes with limited HP OZ’s spells faster cars less weight = less kinetic energy trying to destroy your car. Look up some of Newton’s Laws

Great start keep us posted 👍🏼

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
148 Posts
Sweet, keep your motivation and get it together sooner than later. I have a real bad habit of going big and ending pissed and burnt out.
Keep it up, looks like a fun project.

Are you going to use all the powertrain and other shit form your RC?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sweet, keep your motivation and get it together sooner than later. I have a real bad habit of going big and ending pissed and burnt out.
Keep it up, looks like a fun project.

Are you going to use all the powertrain and other shit form your RC?
For now yes. Unless its just not working out.
I plan on getting a real set of a arms and trailing arms for sure and going from there as I need.. I guess I'd like to get a radiator that fits in there a little better also

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great looking already, keep us posted! But going to an SRRS event probably was an expensive trip, because suddenly the “need” to spend money on making a bulletproof machine was present! Subscribed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,159 Posts
Welcome from Tucson AZ. Nice project, subscribed!

·
Registered
2021 Maverick X3 RS Turbo RR
70 Posts
Wow! What kind of things are you trying to do with the project car? Rock bouncer type of stuff? Looks like an awesome project. Subbed!

Cheers to you for stepping out of your comfort zone. Looks like it's going to be worth it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've taken pics the whole way thru. Ill post
some of them up here shortly. The big idea was to get this thing done as a good start type of rig... its been an undertaking given my limited knowledge of fabrication, sxs stuff,and time. As soon as I get this done and able to ride a little bit I plan on getting right after building another chassis using the mistakes I made as a kind of a guide...

And as for today I'm on to figuring out steering shaft angles. I've been concerned about it ever since I took note of the input shaft angle when I was mocking up the rack and its proving to be as big of a pita as I feared.. .
One of my hangup when I started this was to not modify any stock pieces of my xrc so I could put it back together with no b.s. if this didn't work out. Soooo with that being said trying not to hack and chop my steering shafts is killing me today. Its close. No where near as classy as I would like to have it in the end but for the moment it turns lol... good day all.. ill keep the pics coming...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Super impressed with your build space, build stands and tube bending skills. You sparked a curiosity in me to watch some of the "jumper" YouTube videos. NUTS! I hope to see one of these events one day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone seen any user groups or forums that detail how people construct the SXS rock bouncers?

Specifically the specialized hardware they use and accommodations they make to construct them with the level of durability and optimizations required?

·
Registered
2021 X3 X rs TURBO RR with Smart-Shox
91 Posts
I agree this looks like a huge undertaking and can't wait to see the build process. Nice fun project. :cool:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts