Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite literally, kicking the rear tires from the inside and they rattle while it’s on the ground. It looks like the tires is moving on the rim (12psi currently) when I give it the boot but I’m not seeing movement in the rods.

I checked the rods and they appear tight but noticed they have moved at some point, not sure if that’s normal or the start of wallowing out the holes. I have a ZRP plate on the way to replace it.
When I kick the tire it’s a quick clank. I’m causing toe in change with this type of kick. Is that possibly the wheel bearings or axles? I notice the axles ‘float’ kind of, there is a bit of back and forth if you play with the wheel front to back while off the ground, like the take up in the planetary gears in the diff, which I’m not sure exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the take up in the planetary gears in the diff, which I’m not sure exist.
There are no planetary gears because there is no rear diff.

Jack it up so the wheels are off the ground. Grab tire at top and bottom, and front to rear. Observe any movement.

Then tear it down and fix your wheel bearings? Have you ever lubed them?

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
901 Posts
There's a lot of new members within the last year on here. Scott brings up a great point, the wheel bearings from the factory have very little grease in them. And need to be greased with the bearing tool available from several vendors. If ignored, the bearings die prematurely and are a bear to tear down and replace. If greased, say every 1000 miles, they should last a lot longer.

The play you feel in the wheels has also been attributed to the rubber bushings in the stock radius rods. And nothing to worry about, but check the radius rod bolts.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car's got 400 miles on it. Serviced around 250 at RideNow Goodyear before i got it. Mayyyybe they greased them, but I doubt it. I was thinking I had ordered the grease tool but it appears not.

A couple of the bolts have shifted on the plate but don't appear to be moving. Just the powder coating removed from the washer. 3 of the 6. I yanked on the rods and they are tight so far. I know I need to get the plate that goes on the hub so as to not wallow out the middle bolt.

Shopping shopping shopping. Hopefully I get a chance to drive it this weekend. lol

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The car's got 400 miles on it. Serviced around 250 at RideNow Goodyear before i got it. Mayyyybe they greased them, but I doubt it. I was thinking I had ordered the grease tool but it appears not.

A couple of the bolts have shifted on the plate but don't appear to be moving. Just the powder coating removed from the washer. 3 of the 6. I yanked on the rods and they are tight so far. I know I need to get the plate that goes on the hub so as to not wallow out the middle bolt.

Shopping shopping shopping. Hopefully I get a chance to drive it this weekend. lol
Doubtful they greased them.
Mine took 12-14 pumps out of a standard size gun... so they were basically almost dry.
You don't have to spend an arm and leg for the tool either. This one worked perfect.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
It will not be your wheel bearings. The play you see is from the rubber bushings on the radius rods. Make sure all the bolts are torqued to spec as they will loosen on you. That includes checking the bolts on the hub side.

Unless you plan on riding in a lot of mud or really wet conditions I would not worry about greasing your wheel bearings. The factory is not sending out dry wheel bearings. They have grease in them. I think the internet/forum created an unnecessary frenzy. I have not touched my wheel bearings in 4800ish miles and know plenty of other owners who have not touched there wheel bearings with thousands of miles on their X3s. This is all desert riding. But if if makes you feel better get a wheel bearing grease tool and pump away.

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Once you get the pull plate it will help with keeping the bolts from shifting. A dogbone kit or radius rod nut plates will also help keep the bolts from moving - Zbros, XMX, Cognito, CT Raceworx

Reactions: Scott F

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Taking 12-14 pumps I sure couldn't call them a "packed bearing" so premature wear I believe would be imminent.
I'm sure some had more grease than others do to the lack of QC.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Taking 12-14 pumps I sure couldn't call them a "packed bearing" so premature wear I believe would be imminent.
Has anyone taken a brand new wheel bearing out and actually inspected them to see how much grease is in there?

Reactions: BLR

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did the same thing and the rear tires will toe in. It’s the center rod on the hub. It’s either loose or getting wallered out.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Justordered all the greasing stuff, need to find those plates again for the center.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
HPnMORE4J said:
Has anyone taken a brand new wheel bearing out and actually inspected them to see how much grease is in there?
Yes there were pictures on here and internet on with a bearing opened showing how little it had.
I'll look for it, that's what convinced me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would have to agree with azerick. Mine had started to wear the spindle on the rear toe link bolt with only 150 miles on it. Shock Therapy makes a toe link set made out of stainless steel that will eliminate this concern. It comes with new hardware and the drill bit for $100. Make sure you upgrade the links first if you plan to, otherwise you will be buying a second link kit to fit the larger 5/8" rod ends or 3/4" rod ends. Th toe link kits are not interchangeable with the larger rod ends.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes! I went to grease mine after the first oil change based on what I read on this website. My right rear bearing fell apart. They were dry as F***! No BS. Can Am has a quality control issue.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Can am does not make the bearings I’m sure . So it’s outsourced. So not really brp qc

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That's debatable, they purchase them and install them in their machines under their brand knowing it's an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Debatable? Maybe but they are not brp bearings. Plus even with no grease what so ever they still outlast Polaris bearings lol. I would change bearings in my rzr about every 5-600 miles due to environment we ride in. I know guys out west get better mileage but not around here. I’m still on original everything except for 1 set of brake pads. 1500 miles or so

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
I would disagree with this. I pulled my tires at about 500 Mike's and my rear bearings were getting so hot they had an almost black ring around them where the bearing race is. Fronts did not have this. Have not seen this discolored ring on any new unit. They do have some grease but very little.
I think each car will very a little but it is a good thing to address from the start versus gambling on a rear spindle or hub.

It will not be your wheel bearings. The play you see is from the rubber bushings on the radius rods. Make sure all the bolts are torqued to spec as they will loosen on you. That includes checking the bolts on the hub side.

Unless you plan on riding in a lot of mud or really wet conditions I would not worry about greasing your wheel bearings. The factory is not sending out dry wheel bearings. They have grease in them. I think the internet/forum created an unnecessary frenzy. I have not touched my wheel bearings in 4800ish miles and know plenty of other owners who have not touched there wheel bearings with thousands of miles on their X3s. This is all desert riding. But if if makes you feel better get a wheel bearing grease tool and pump away.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts