Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within three months I've had two primary clutches replaced. I picked it up today after having the second clutch and a new Gates belt installed. I took it down the trail for a test run and it seemed like the transmission would slip around 30mph. A transmission signal fault message displayed across the dash and the engine shut off. I started it back up and it sounded like the engine was knocking and wouldn't idle higher than 500rpm. Lucky for me, I was in my yard trying to load it back on the trailer at this point. I dropped it off at the dealer and the service manager mentioned mine spends more time there than my house and it's the only unit they've had come back with problems. Sorry for my rant but I'm pissed and either looking to lemon law it or try to sell it back to the dealer. Have any of you contacted Can Am directly about your Maverick?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Call can am directly and let them know your problems, anything can be fixed and it sounds like a clutch related problem which is the biggest fault to the maverick. I know its hard to spend the cash but I'd bet a aftermarket primary would fix your problem and get a nice performance boost

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Primary wont have anything to do with a tranny problem. But your right an aftermarket primary fixes the biggest problem with the Mav.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Sorry about your troubles, most all of us are free from trouble and I might consider that you change dealerships for service or buy a manual and tackle the work yourself. A new primary would be added insurance for you. Question, do you drive it in high gear even at low speed? This will fuk everything up! You can't trail ride in high gear, under 35 mph, buy a sport low switch and watch it come to life in low

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most if not all of my running is in high gear as it should be. Why should I ride around in low? Can you explain why riding in high will fuk everything up?

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Just best to use low when driving under 30 mph for any length of time, more belt grip and higher RPM which moves more air thru CVT.

Todd

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I assumed you were trail riding? The belt temps will become too great in high at LOW speed. If you're doing more than 35 in high it's fine

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
no one has reported a problem like yours and a light come on for tranny to , so im sure they will get your lemon sweeten up !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it! We'll see what they find out Tuesday. At this point I feel like I've blown 18 grand. I'm going to try and get a new maverick or at least an extended factory warranty. I'll call Can Am tomorrow. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good luck, I keep mine in low up to 30 and it does fine. I haven't bought the sport low switch yet. Haven't needed it where I ride.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I ride in high on all machines I ever owned.. You just have to know when to use low, like slow ridin on ruff trails with rocks, logs and hills and such....maybe I just know how to drive better then you guys..:) lmao

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bama, If you already use low all the time and don't have sport low because you don't think you need it, you are missing out. It's like a new machine when it come to trail riding and hill climbing.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
JSmith speaks truth. I can fly through the woods in sport low, excellent acceleration off the bottom too. It should come with it

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I ride in high on all machines I ever owned.. You just have to know when to use low, like slow ridin on ruff trails with rocks, logs and hills and such....maybe I just know how to drive better then you guys..:) lmao
X2 this is how its done!!!! Low is only for high load situations or bigger tires or mud bogging 20 mph max after that your just screaming your motor for nothing. Gncc racers never use low

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Clutch it, sport low and hit 50+ in low with stock tires. Big mud tires 65 mph. I stay in low but to each his own

·
Registered
50 Posts
Primary wont have anything to do with a tranny problem. But your right an aftermarket primary fixes the biggest problem with the Mav.
I may be missing something and if I am please fill me in but the tranny is the primary and secondary. the T in CVT is transmission.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts