Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i talked to a few guys at the SSSS about clutches and sandtires. Ther general consensus is Skat Trak smoothies in front one size bigger is perfect.

Then we come to rear paddles.

Skat Trak says Tim Kelly's 12 paddle staggered Glider works well.

Fullerton says you cant beat STU's.(these guys are arrogant and even i know better that a larger tire that will not spin and sucks donkey crank)

A couple of other vendors say 8 paddle Extremes will pull out of the hole hard and hard on acceleration while cornering. But move alot of sand on the top end which costs hp.

so thinking of the dunning i do, which is hard and fast cornering on and off the gas. The top end speed is not what i am looking for. I want a car that pulls hard off the line. So i think the 8 paddle extremes will be the ticket. Worst case i drag my ass over to Tim and buy a set of stagger cut gliders.

Now lets talk clutching.

Airdam says rage 3 with gen 1 secondary is good for 120ish hp

Kris has the rage 6 and gen 2 secondary setup (i requested this setup and he says its great for future big hp)

Kelly at KMS says Rage 6 with gen 2 secondary and he will tune for $350

EPI says they have a clutch kit for $300ish that wil raise the shift rpm and have a smoother backshift

Tim Kelly says use the damn stock clutch and lighten the spring for less drag and heat. He also says let the clutches cool themselves down after running it hard, by letting it idle in neutral or electric blower fan.

the clutching is my biggest question. If i do nothing and use the Tim Kelly method i would always be worried. Now if i swap out the clutches for the STM rage 6 i will never be worried and have plenty of room to increase hp.

just talking out loud, these topics have been beaten to death recently.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You sound like me, things just going round and round in your head! You know the right front tire. 26x9x12. And like you said, the general consensus is the 8 paddle 26x12.5x12 skats. Those staggered 12 paddle are an unknown to us right now. As for the clutch, well you know what happened to mine. So I'll always preach for people to get an aftermarket primary. And then the aftermarket secondary gives you better back shifting. But I'm happy with my stock secondary. Good luck with your decisions!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Who is KMS?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm with ya so here's what I was told by everyone at the show regarding sand tires. EVERYONE said basically the same thing. Skat Trak extremes are the fastest in a straight line race and pull hard for hill climbing. But I was told by multiple people that for a better overall duning experience the STU blaster works better only because it has a stronger side wall. But that comes with a higher ply rating which makes the tire have a little more weight. If you like to drift when cornering then get the a stagger paddle tire. I was told that Tim knows his shit by the skat trak guy but they had no real answer when I ask if the Maverick would overrev with the staggered glider paddle. I ask that ? because the scoop is only 5/8" and even tho there is more of them, I believe a clutched Mav will easily keep them spinning very fast maybe too fast. I was also told by each person that if you have a 26" rear paddle the car will handle much better if you have on the 27" front.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I ran the Skat 26-12.5-12 8 paddle up in Oregon back in July(Dunefest) with the stock knobbie in front & the QSC/STM set-up. This was the first time with booth the paddles & clutch set-up. It launched hard and pulled out of the hole fast but my top speed was about 60mph. Never had a long enough stretch to see if I could squeeze any more out of it. I was having some issues with the car due to the low range sport mod and I also had a seized weight in one of the arms so I couldn't completely fine tune it, I got it pretty close but not perfect. I haven't been back to the dunes yet but have spent some time out in the dirt & rock crawling with 30" Mongrels. I spent about a day getting the clutch dialed for the big tires and it seems to be right around 62-64mph top speed. I recently changed my helix in the STM sec so hopefully I will get it where I want it for the different tires that I run & get it dialed for the paddles come Halloween.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
u seen 25'' 8 paddles skats perform next to you - so u know that outcome !

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mega, you can't go wrong with Kelly. I would go with the Rage 6 you can always take weight off but you can't add arms.
Paddle tires... The 12 paddle staggered is a Skat that is trying to be a STU. The STU's are nice but I bet between 25 and 45 you really can't tell the difference between the 2. It would be really interesting to see what happens when you go to 7 paddles extremes (26-12-12 on 7" wheels do the same on the front with buffs 6psi in the rear and 9psi up front). I'll bet a beer that is the setup for both hill and sand drags. Once again I doubt duning you would ever no the difference between 25 and 45 mph.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
D-D-T :smile: If you are worried about over rev, you could always tune that out of the primary with some added weight to keep the revs down.....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would rather have more paddle to match HP than to detune the clutch to match the paddle.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
your not detuning the clutch, your tuning it to stay in the optimum HP range instead of overshooting. No different than tuning your clutches when you change to larger tires. You aren't loosing power, you are just changing the way you deliver it to the rear wheels….

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I would rather have more paddle to match HP than to detune the clutch to match the paddle.
whats nice about paddles is u can run 4psi and get huge traction or run 10 psi and have huge wheel spin so u can tune that by simple psi !

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Guys Think about it for one second a Lite weight tire and wheel combo the RPMs faster and has a Higher top end speed is gonna work better when your dunning. It gets up and goes faster. Stiffer sidewall for sliding that's BS. I want my Rear end to slip a little otherwise your gonna have a lot of front end Pushing in the turns to. Weight kills so if you can run Lighter weight tires its going to be faster all the way around. photo 4.JPG heres a picture of the staggered Glider that Mike was looking at.
heres a picture of the STU with all paddles shaved off. photo 5.JPG

·
Registered
317 Posts
It sounds like desert season is right around the corner! LOL I have been contemplating the paddle tire situation for months now. The rzr's we have in our camp all use the STU's and they seem to work well but they also have them shaved pretty thin to make them lighter which makes them more prone to flats. I have always had good results with Skats in the past but I think I will just run the stock tires again for part of this season and get more feedback from the guys here before pulling the trigger. So are we going to get a big Mav trip planned this season? Now that more people have them, it would be a blast ripping through the dunes with a giant line of Mavs!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
whats nice about paddles is u can run 4psi and get huge traction or run 10 psi and have huge wheel spin so u can tune that by simple psi !
I understand that you can run a lower psi to increase paddle traction but since you also have a less ply tire its possible to have issues with your sidewall when you run too low psi. Im not saying for 4 psi is too low either. I ran my skats around 5.5 lbs but the lower the PSI you go the higher the risk, thats all I'm saying. I'm not saying it IS a problem, Im saying there is a higher chance or risk of a problem. Also, my car is clutched for the stock bighorns which is way heavier than any paddle tire. So for me to use a paddle that is a few pounds heavier than the lightest one doesnt really matter. IMO. They both will be much lighter than the bighorn so they should spin just fine. Besides for me, I'm not a racer so its not all about "the race". However I have not yet commited to the Blaster or the Skat.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Just curious, how much $$ are y'all spending on those tires. They are almost weightless compared to the tires we run around here

·
Premium Member
8,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok i decided on tires yesterday. I called up Utv Inc for a quote and they had a great price on tires.

i got 26x12.5x12 8 paddle extremes and 27x9x12 smoothies.

now i just have to sweet talk the wife out of 2k and i am calling Airdam for some shinny clutches to make me whelie in the sand. woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So are we going to get a big Mav trip planned this season? Now that more people have them, it would be a blast ripping through the dunes with a giant line of Mavs!
Vets weekend saturday Nov 9 noon on the left side of Olds hill, show up ready to ride, full of fuel and leave the sissy's at camp. We are gonna rip to China wall.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i hope you guys are gonna all be out thanksgiving i plan on being there for a clutch tuning weekend. olds to china wall is a good rip with some great riding. wish i could be there, hopefully everything works out right and i will be there thanksgiving

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I had a full set just Buffed down and No paddles to run and make a Video showing that it does not take a bunch of paddles to run the dunes. I will try and have out another Mav running the Glider combo to show how they work to. Also Just had a Set of 30" Skats Made last week its Tall and most people are for show and want to Roll a tall tire so Skat -Trak found the Combo for a lot of Roll out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts