Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get the particulars out of the way: I own a 2015 Maverick XMR on 6" portals and 33" BKTs. I have noticed a little oil leak on the garage floor, very minimum, and I figured it was a seal. I thought it was most likely the shaft seal either behind the primary clutch or maybe the secondary but nonetheless a minor "drip" if you will. I decided to take the buggy down the street, less than a mile and return home one day. After the short ride and parking the buggy on the driveway for a moment, I noticed a large pool of what smelled like gear oil next to the rear driver's side tire. Once I removed the belt boxes I see a hole in my gearbox with a plug of metal from the casing still close by. What it looks like is a large nut, just under the secondary shaft, has magically backed off a gear/shaft on the interior of my gearbox and contacted the LH (driver's side) gearbox cover plate internally. This contact has made the nut continue to back off until it, the nut, has pushed a hole completely through the gearbox cover plate. So I am looking for a solution. What now do I need to complete repair? It looks as if I can remove the gearbox cover plate and simply replace that side. Sounds easy enough but I can not locate just the cover plate. I have been to my local shop and they agree, a cover plate would be easy but the computer shows that they don't sell just a cover plate. So it'll cost $2k+ for a complete new box. I don't want to spend that if it is not necessary. Surely there is another way, maybe a machined plate or someone willing to sell the LH cover plate from their broken gear box. Can I repair my cover plate? Also can someone advise if the standard gearbox cover plate will fit the XMR's and maybe where I can find one. All helpful info is appreciated?
pic2.jpg

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
for 150 bucks I would jump on that and replace the gearbox you have.. My concern with your gearbox is all the dirt and water that has been sucked up into the bearings , gears and shafts. I suspect you would find a lot of rust and abrasion damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for 150 bucks I would jump on that and replace the gearbox you have.. My concern with your gearbox is all the dirt and water that has been sucked up into the bearings , gears and shafts. I suspect you would find a lot of rust and abrasion damage.
So the craigslist post in AZ is a no go. He has advised that it is sold. I am still looking.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well in the interim I would remove your gear box and do an inspection to determine the extend of damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts