Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just had to post this,

Went for a good ride in a snow storm, we had about 3 inches of snow on the roads, were driving fairly quick, and something we noticed. Well I have a 2013 Maverick base and the guy who was following me had a turbo'd 900 rzr with 27 mudlight xtr's on it. Before I get started, So anyhow, he was getting really mad as his machine was all over the place and could not keep up with me, I could leave him at will or go and get him if he was in the lead. The Can Am 4wd system is better for these conditions as the Polaris AWD system not work at 50+ mph? I had the maverick in 4wd, and it seemed to really grab well, where he was fish tailing all over the place and wasn't' really moving, btw, the turbo was not really hitting that hard as he said he only had 1lb showing, and the AWD was working in slow area's where he needed it. I have noticed with my Ranger this too, where at high speed I seem to be only getting 2wd, and I thought that it would engage any time at any speed if the rear wheels slipped. He is not happy as the control was horrible.

I have to say coming from a Polaris to Can am, I was bit nervous, but now that I have 1000Km's on it, I really like it. The 2 bad points are noise in the cab, and HEAT, too hot, where my Ranger is quiet and seems to have way less heat.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice to hear your opinion and that your happy with the brand change.The items you mentioned are easily fixed. Just install some heat shield material to the inside of the console plastics and it will eliminate the heat and reduce the noise. Most of the noise comes from the rear bed area being open. So I also installed the cargo bed liner and it helped with noise also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have the cargo bed liner, as I found that the original rack thing was dumb, and didn't look right, it also keeps mud and debris from entering with the bed liner. Didn't think about the sound though. Might have to try some heat tape and see.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have to let you know that a couple of weeks ago I was running my Maverick in the snow and I, too, had on ITP Mudlite tires. I was all over the place and realized I shouldn't be driving in the snow with those tires. I then hopped in my Commander with the stock Maxxis BigHorn tires and I handled the same trails just fine.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Had mine out terrorizing the farm yesterday afternoon. We have one trail referred to as the taboggan shoot. There is a hill on it that is about 300' long and one STEEP sumbitch! I mean STEEP! There is about 8-10" of snow on the ground, and it was going everywhere I aimed it, so I went for the big hill. To my amazement I shot right up it! Couldn't believe it so I went for it again... and again. The Mav has far exceeded my expectations in the snow, and still continues to amaze me at what it is capible of. The stock Bighorn 2 tires really perform in the snow. I've got a couple thousand gold diggers that I was going to use to stud the tires up for the winter, but really can't see the point now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't get over the handling and power of this machine, hammer it anywhere and point it and it goes, its sick really. I am a Polaris guy too as I own a Ranger XP but after driving this, and seeing it perform against 900 rzr's, hmmm, I think I made the right choice, and have to admit, the only reason was PRICE, Can Am lowered the prices on the 2013's, and I could not get a 900 for less, never mind a 1000, here the 1000 rzr is 7K more then what I payed, as really should be comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
14 Mav Xxc here with stock tires and I also find it great in the snow way better than I thought it would be and better than my 12 Outty1000..I'm really pleased with this machine.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
It is really nice to hear you guys talking about riding in the snow. Just don't get that here in Southern Nev.ENJOY...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It is really nice to hear you guys talking about riding in the snow. Just don't get that here in Southern Nev.ENJOY...
Be happy you don't this is getting old and it's cold as heck. That coming from a avid snowmobiler too. Lol

Reactions: zx6rr33

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm heading out tomorrow to ride in the snow 8 to 12" with some hidden drifts.
I have a set of zilla's I was thinking about putting on but it does seem the big
horns do fine in the snow.
2.29.12-Big-Snow-Shots-001-300x224.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Snow is fun!and my Mav will go anywhere I need it to until soft snow more than 15"-16"deep. Then the belly sits down and the tires go to spinning. It dose great in hard snow that's deep cause it will run along on top way better than the jeeps I used to run. The only complaint I have is the lack of reasonably priced cab enclosures ended up making my own.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The only sketchy thing I have noticed is the tendency to just decide that we're headed off to the right or left with no driver input. I have only noticed it when breaking trail in over a foot of snow. It only really made me pucker the ol' bunghole once at about 30 on a real narrow trail with trees on both sides. I avoided wrecking but just barely!

·
Registered
286 Posts
The only sketchy thing I have noticed is the tendency to just decide that we're headed off to the right or left with no driver input. I have only noticed it when breaking trail in over a foot of snow. It only really made me pucker the ol' bunghole once at about 30 on a real narrow trail with trees on both sides. I avoided wrecking but just barely!
Do you have have rhe qe front end?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nope. it has the factory original visco lock diff. It almost feels like catching an edge on a snowboard. Just kinda dodges one way or the other at speed in the deep snow. No big deal out in the open but a little unnerving on a tight trail.
I am curious to see if it goes away when I get a set of tie rods with the bump steer spacers from Alex at CT. I will be getting a set ordered soon.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine will dart left and right at speed too, I think the front diff is to blame as it keeps splitting traction between the two front wheels. It will only do this if I'm hammered down, wont do it if I'm just cruizing. On the other hand I am impressed with how much snow it will go thru. I pull my two place snowmobile trailer loaded to the max with firewood up to my house in 15" of snow and I'm not talking the fluffy stuff!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Mav is amazing in this deep snow were getting in Michigan. My dad just picked up a 2013 XP 900 RZR with 29" Mud Lites and a 2" lift kit. My Mav destroys him in the snow. I do think his RZR would get along better with the stock Big Horns tires. I think the combination of weight, torque and ground clearance makes it superior to the XP 900. I would think the XP1K would do just as good as the Mav or better because of larger tires and more ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Snow riding for me tomorrow

·
Registered
286 Posts
More snow here 2"- 3" yesterday and 5" in the last 4 hours and still dumping.
Dang I was looking forward to some nicer weather.
oh well guess more snow running.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts