Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that smart shox has been out for a little bit and the factory has seemed to fix the issues with them. What's your take on them, if you have them.

Are they worth the upgrade ? What do you like and dislike about them ? Are they really stiff in anything over 1' or more like shock therapy says?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have been influenced by my experience with "smart" suspension systems based on my disappointment with my BMW motorcycle. I won't have another until I am absolutely convinced of their reliability.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been influenced by my experience with "smart" suspension systems based on my disappointment with my BMW motorcycle. I won't have another until I am absolutely convinced of their reliability.
What bmw do you have... my bmw active suspension has been flawless no issues and I abuse the thing everyday.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
I drove my friend's X3 with the Smart Shox. It was pretty nice. In soft it felt nice in the choppy sand. You can fell the difference between the different settings. It is just missing an "oh shit button like the Polaris set up on the XP Pro. Now if you go ape shit and get the Shock Therapy QIS added you get 3 levels in each setting.

It is a pretty cool set up. I like that it also adjust the rebound. If I were in the market for a new X3 it would be hard to pass up the Smart Shox set up.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
smart shocks come with the new ecu
and as of now no programing/flash is available
getting a shock therapy dumb shock upgrade
is worth far more than a gimmicky smart shock
that is more prone to failure
shock settings dont need to be changed
set it up correctly and your done
these cars see all the extreme conditions
water, heat, cold and abuse far worse than most applications
last this fits perfectly into brps master plan for extra revenue
expensive upgrades that are prone to expensive repairs where the dealers
are the best/only place that can fix them

·
Registered
2019 X3 RC
25 Posts
If I were going to purchase a new one I deffinately would not want the smart shocks. The springs still sagg and will have to be delt with. Heard of them throwing codes and not working. If you want to be able to change the settings on the fly get the IQS from Shock Therapy. Probably be a cheaper route in the long run also.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If I were going to purchase a new one I deffinately would not want the smart shocks. The springs still sagg and will have to be delt with. Heard of them throwing codes and not working. If you want to be able to change the settings on the fly get the IQS from Shock Therapy. Probably be a cheaper route in the long run also.
IQS only changes compression. It does not read what the car is doing and adjust for that. That is a huge deal. Ideal is having a shock tuner work the smart shocks for your conditions. Although one thing I wish Can Am would do....since you know they have all these models of cars.... have a desert one where shocks are tuned for desert, a dune one, rock crawler (not just stickers, skid plates and a winch, but shock tuned for that application). I don't think we will see it but would be cool.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
smart shocks come with the new ecu
and as of now no programing/flash is available
getting a shock therapy dumb shock upgrade
is worth far more than a gimmicky smart shock
that is more prone to failure
shock settings dont need to be changed
set it up correctly and your done
these cars see all the extreme conditions
water, heat, cold and abuse far worse than most applications
last this fits perfectly into brps master plan for extra revenue
expensive upgrades that are prone to expensive repairs where the dealers
are the best/only place that can fix them
The smart shox set up is far from gimmicky. It is quite a sophisticate set up and it is impressive what it can do. Adding the Shock Therapy QIS just makes it a whole lot better. The ability to change your suspension settings on the fly is pretty nice. If I were someone that rode in mud all the time or slow trail riding then it is not needed and the person should save their money. If you are into dunes, desert or higher speed stuff I think it worth a look. I just wish they put the buttons on the steering wheel to make it quicker to change on the fly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I drove my friend's X3 with the Smart Shox. It was pretty nice. In soft it felt nice in the choppy sand. You can fell the difference between the different settings. It is just missing an "oh shit button like the Polaris set up on the XP Pro. Now if you go ape shit and get the Shock Therapy QIS added you get 3 levels in each setting.

It is a pretty cool set up. I like that it also adjust the rebound. If I were in the market for a new X3 it would be hard to pass up the Smart Shox set up.
Sand Shark seeing how you seem to be the only one in the thread who has been in a smart shox car. Outside of small stuff, did the system ramp up to fast and get to stiff? Did you get to push the car at all? Run 1-2' whoops at full speed or big G outs?

I have been in turbo s cars with live valve and I like how they ride once you put a spring kit on them to help with the rear bucking they have from the factory. So I have a little idea on how the live/smart shocks work in body roll, squat, and dive. I really liked how my 20 rode once i played around with settings. I figured smart shox would be like my 20 with out body roll, squat, and dive. But there only seems to be two kinds of feed back so far, I love it, or it's a POS. And no one is really saying how they ride or respond in desert/dune rinding yet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What bmw do you have... my bmw active suspension has been flawless no issues and I abuse the thing everyday.
I had a 1200 RT and rode it all over the country, albeit an early adopter on the suspension with an '06. The electronic suspension was very unreliable and rebuilding was expensive with no sense that it would last any longer than the first time. I'm usually pretty easy going on the problems with technology, but I simply could not live with that shock system.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Sand Shark seeing how you seem to be the only one in the thread who has been in a smart shox car. Outside of small stuff, did the system ramp up to fast and get to stiff? Did you get to push the car at all? Run 1-2' whoops at full speed or big G outs?

I have been in turbo s cars with live valve and I like how they ride once you put a spring kit on them to help with the rear bucking they have from the factory. So I have a little idea on how the live/smart shocks work in body roll, squat, and dive. I really liked how my 20 rode once i played around with settings. I figured smart shox would be like my 20 with out body roll, squat, and dive. But there only seems to be two kinds of feed back so far, I love it, or it's a POS. And no one is really saying how they ride or respond in desert/dune rinding yet.
I really only took it around for a quick rip not far from camp. You can definitely tell the difference in the different settings as far as body roll and overall feel.

I have been in and driven the 4 seat turbo S with the live valve. The Can Am is similar, but has the added bonus of controlling the rebound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I own a Smart-Shox car. I had my shocks recalibrated by the dealer a few months ago and since then I've had zero problems with the system. I just spent 4 days in Rocky Point Mexico and did a lot of high speed riding in all types of terrain. I really worked that Smart Shox switch on the dash I'll tell you that. Driving fast through the whoops I would mostly stay in Comfort mode. When I saw something coming up like a small jump or something that I knew would need more compression to keep from bottoming out I would quickly change the switch to Sport+ mode. Things immediately stiffened up with no bottoming out. After the rough stuff I'd switch back to comfort mode. It is pretty noticeable when you switch from Comfort mode to Sport+. I have a booster seat in the back for my 5yo son. In Comfort mode I can be hauling butt over all kinds of rough terrain and I'll look back at my boy and he's sound asleep! After I first bought the car I posted about how the vehicle felt like it was a Landspeeder from Star Wars whenever it's in Comfort mode. I still feel like that. Down in Mexico I pointed out to my older son how when the car is in Comfort mode and you're on a washboard road, you can't really hear very many rattles from the doors. As soon as you switch to Sport+ you hear rattling immediately. And you can also feel the ground! There's very little "ground effect" in Comfort mode. It rides like a 76' Lincoln Continental when I want it to and in a split second I can change it to a rally truck. I've watched the Shock Therapy video and I can say that I didn't experience what they talked about on the big whoops. I'm a novice. But I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I don't need to have my shocks set up for fast desert riding and jumping only to have my son beat to death in the back seat. Or set my car up so it rides great for the kids and old lady only to have it bottom out on some small jump. This can only get better if you ask me. When the crappy springs start to sag I'll put better ones on it. With the beating the car took in Mexico I didn't have a single shock fault. They worked flawlessly. I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a 1200 RT and rode it all over the country, albeit an early adopter on the suspension with an '06. The electronic suspension was very unreliable and rebuilding was expensive with no sense that it would last any longer than the first time. I'm usually pretty easy going on the problems with technology, but I simply could not live with that shock system.

i had a 2011 RT with the adjustable suspension and loved it. Did Michigan to Alaska and back, my fav bike of all my bikes (harleys before that)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I own a Smart-Shox car. I had my shocks recalibrated by the dealer a few months ago and since then I've had zero problems with the system. I just spent 4 days in Rocky Point Mexico and did a lot of high speed riding in all types of terrain. I really worked that Smart Shox switch on the dash I'll tell you that. Driving fast through the whoops I would mostly stay in Comfort mode. When I saw something coming up like a small jump or something that I knew would need more compression to keep from bottoming out I would quickly change the switch to Sport+ mode. Things immediately stiffened up with no bottoming out. After the rough stuff I'd switch back to comfort mode. It is pretty noticeable when you switch from Comfort mode to Sport+. I have a booster seat in the back for my 5yo son. In Comfort mode I can be hauling butt over all kinds of rough terrain and I'll look back at my boy and he's sound asleep! After I first bought the car I posted about how the vehicle felt like it was a Landspeeder from Star Wars whenever it's in Comfort mode. I still feel like that. Down in Mexico I pointed out to my older son how when the car is in Comfort mode and you're on a washboard road, you can't really hear very many rattles from the doors. As soon as you switch to Sport+ you hear rattling immediately. And you can also feel the ground! There's very little "ground effect" in Comfort mode. It rides like a 76' Lincoln Continental when I want it to and in a split second I can change it to a rally truck. I've watched the Shock Therapy video and I can say that I didn't experience what they talked about on the big whoops. I'm a novice. But I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I don't need to have my shocks set up for fast desert riding and jumping only to have my son beat to death in the back seat. Or set my car up so it rides great for the kids and old lady only to have it bottom out on some small jump. This can only get better if you ask me. When the crappy springs start to sag I'll put better ones on it. With the beating the car took in Mexico I didn't have a single shock fault. They worked flawlessly. I hope this helps someone.
View attachment 264481
Picture of your son sleep is priceless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Good to hear the system is working and not having any issues after the update. And there is a noticeable change in the settings. Did you come from another machine before this one to compare it too, or is this your first sxs?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Good to hear the system is working and not having any issues after the update. And there is a noticeable change in the settings. Did you come from another machine before this one to compare it too, or is this your first sxs?
This is the first one I've ever owned. None the less, it's impossible not to notice the dramatic change between Sport+ and comfort. I haven't quite figured out the best situation for the middle switch position which is Sport mode. I just go from top to bottom on the switch as needed (Comfort to Sport+).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve owned both a SS and nonSS turbo RR. I switched because I’ll go from trail riding to tracking it with high speed jumps, whoops, etc. On the track, my non SS had a ton of body roll, and although it performed well, it just felt like driving a truck on a race track. After getting the SS model, I can put it on firm and absolutely blast through the course. It slides around just like I want it to, but still is soft enough for the trails. My view of it is, if you’re only riding on one type of terrain, then SS are probably a waste. If you’re going to different places with different terrains, in my experience, SS made a night and day difference. YMMV, but they’ve been reliable and worked really well for the last couple hundred miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts