Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know or heard of some slow Mavericks?

I finally got a chance to race my xp against my Maverick and the XP smokes the Maverick, never a competition. Starting to wonder now about the dyno numbers.

Was just emailing back and forth with someone who has contact at a big dealership in PA and they have reports of some slow ones.

I admit I am totally new to the Maverick electronics but is there anyway the key is programmed wrong or something. Top speed so far has been 76 but acceleration is not what the reports are saying it is.

The xp has 26x9 light tires all the way around, Dalton clutch kit, muzzy pipe and gen 4 fuel controller.

Was reading on here stock mavericks out running XP's with stage II cams etc.

When my power commander gets here I will know if the throttle is opening all the way or not.

Anyone have experience at this?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would have the dealer reflash the ECM and reflash the key, make sure you are running atleast 91 octane since the maverick requires that atleast .. Anything less than 91 the knock sensors will detect a knock and cut timing back, if yours is brand new its possible the dealer put 87 in it. And there's a chance you have a bad secondary spring from the factory which has been tossed around from time to time

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have the dealer reflash the ECM and reflash the key, make sure you are running atleast 91 octane since the maverick requires that atleast .. Anything less than 91 the knock sensors will detect a knock and cut timing back, if yours is brand new its possible the dealer put 87 in it. And there's a chance you have a bad secondary spring from the factory which has been tossed around from time to time
Dealer is 250 miles away and I already put Dalton clutch kit in, quicker with it in there too.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ahh I missed it. I have raced several stock XP's while I was still stock and always beat them. It's not by a huge margin but I always pull ahead. Not sure what's up with yours. I have heard of some people claiming there Mav was slower then most.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Stupid question but do you have it in sport mode?

What RPM is it pulling?

Yes it is possible your key is programmed wrong, I have seen it before. It should say "PERFORMANCE KEY" on the display when you fire it up.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stupid question but do you have it in sport mode?

What RPM is it pulling?

Yes it is possible your key is programmed wrong, I have seen it before. It should say "PERFORMANCE KEY" on the display when you fire it up.
Egg on my face, not in sport mode. My son been riding on it. Pardon me for my Maverick electronic ignorance.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It happens. Same thing happened to me after my wife drove it the other day that is why I asked. I guess I could pull the switch out of the panel and tape it up.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
problem is I don't know when it got flipped off. I just redynoed and got right at 60hp instead of the low 50's I got so I have to pull clutch kit off, gen 4 controller off and start from scratch. Ugh!!! I feel stupid for not noticing and also I will say again, I hate this smart electronics.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It happens. Same thing happened to me after my wife drove it the other day that is why I asked. I guess I could pull the switch out of the panel and tape it up.
That's what I did! Taped it in the on position, and zip tied in to the frame behind the dash. I think running with the sport switch off is only for east coasters :D:D:D

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
When the rear tires spin at whatever rate brp set it to it closes the tb to slow down the tire speed. And with the sport mode it just changes the amount the tb moves compared to the pedel And only giving you max 70% open. Is what I've been told

1 - 20 of 33 Posts