Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a hard weekend in the dunes the slippery washers did not fail me. THanks to Andy for the loaner clutch.

I beat on my car pretty hard and put on a little show by jumping down and sideways at Olds hill. Convinced a prospective sxs buyer to go with the Maverick. I also found a new EPI belt in the sand, its longer than the Maverick though. Watched quite a few failures of other machines, re-set a few beads on tires. All while beating the sheet out of my Maverick.

So it looks like for now the slippery washer deal is doing its job for now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good to hear. I also came back from a week at the dunes with zero problems. Hopefully the recall lasts.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
That's good to hear, I'm not convinced its a fix all/solve all solution but at least its working while Can Am can find a permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mine has the slippery washers from the factory, well according to my stealerships anyway. So far I have 300 miles and 200 of them I would say has been run pretty hard.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
ive been pounding on mine and its fine so far !! :)

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
So i'm trying to understnd the whole slippery washer thing. If the clutch does happen to slip it is not tightening the bolt anymore, rather the washers are taking the abuse? Why does it take so many? Seems like just two would take care of it. If it does happen to slip and the washers are spinning on themselves, wouldn't this cause wear on them, in turn lessening the torque on the bolt and causing slack between them letting the bolt tighten little bits at a time? Are they spring washers stacked positive to negative? Wouldnt a left handed bolt have cured this problem from the factory? Sorry for all the questions but ive never taken a clutch apart so i just needed it laid out in laymans terms

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yes, in the perfect world the primary will slip on the bolt without further tightening the bolt. Some have still broke the so called fix. Just thinking out loud but if the dealership does the clutch bolt recall and just throws a big impact on the primary bolt and torques it down he may be over tightening the bolt and not allowing the slippery washers to do there job.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, in the perfect world the primary will slip on the bolt without further tightening the bolt. Some have still broke the so called fix. Just thinking out loud but if the dealership does the clutch bolt recall and just throws a big impact on the primary bolt and torques it down he may be over tightening the bolt and not allowing the slippery washers to do there job.
the recall procedure paperwork expressly says not to use power tools or wipe any grease off the slippery washers. It also says to use no loctite. The dealer would have to be completely stupid to use an impact and not torque it to 89ft pounds.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Agreed, maybe that's why we haven't seen a later production model break a primary bolt to my knowledge. All the ones that have broke has been dealer installed unless I missed one

·
Registered
33 Posts
Washers

Agreed, maybe that's why we haven't seen a later production model break a primary bolt to my knowledge. All the ones that have broke has been dealer installed unless I missed one
Mine came out of the crate with the washers already installed and 11 miles in broken bolt.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I asked dealer to use loc tite they said they couldn't do that lol

Sent from my maverick using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 55 Posts