Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out riding in the woods today,i got into a tight spot trying to manuever around i slipped belt enough so i saw some smoke.so i got out of where i was then it started surging some and not wanting to move .I was by myself so i headed for my trailerthere was a bank next to my trailer so i tried to climb it and it started the surging again.when i got home i took belt cover off belt looked fine secondary and a little black residue on it you could wipe right off nothing on primary.i only have 70 miles on it .i did blast up the blacktop for about 30 40 seconds before i got back into the woods .any ways i put new belt on the paint marks on primary bolt still line up.any ideas or am i being a sally:kiss:

·
Registered
424 Posts
The only way to correct the slipping belt on a Maverick is to upgrade your clutch system. Once you figure in the cost of constant belt changes on a faulty stock clutch it's more of an investment than anything.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
funny mine up north in L gear surged like it had a cam in it - 1300-1600 rpm bounce, but give it lol more gas and it smooth out what happens when u give it more gas ? there gonna be a lil jerky

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know i took it easy on my way back to my trailer but it was something that it hadn't done before my 14 daughter was with me and could tell something was different.Kris i someday am going spend that money but not yet i going to by some bigger tires and rims .

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
i don't know i took it easy on my way back to my trailer but it was something that it hadn't done before my 14 daughter was with me and could tell something was different.Kris i someday am going spend that money but not yet i going to by some bigger tires and rims .
weird let us know what u find out ,

u might wanna get clutch b4 bigger tires and rims, that will make the belt slip faster !

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you smoked the belt really bad, you could have a flat spot in it. That could make it jerk. However if you smoked the belt I would recommend replacing it,even if it looks good. Because it will most likely leave you stranded when it breaks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got mine stuck in a creek this weekend. Once I got it pulled out, something was wrong. I didn't hear a belt slipping but it just felt different. The engine RPM got higher but it was just barely moving. I put it in Low and drove about 40 yards, then put it in reverse and backed up about 10 yards...put it in High again and it started taking off fine. I didn't have any other issues with it...could it of been the clutch slipping?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I got mine stuck in a creek this weekend. Once I got it pulled out, something was wrong. I didn't hear a belt slipping but it just felt different. The engine RPM got higher but it was just barely moving. I put it in Low and drove about 40 yards, then put it in reverse and backed up about 10 yards...put it in High again and it started taking off fine. I didn't have any other issues with it...could it of been the clutch slipping?
Sounds like you got the belt wet and it was slipping…..pull the CVT cover drain plug and see if there is any water or dry debris that could have been wet at one time……this will confirm it this was the culprit. Usually, if it is slipping, you are gonna smell it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
u needed to get all the water out and then the belt to dry off the it will fully grab so ur good, pull cover and check it out

·
Registered
58 Posts
Like Todd said , get a Dalton clutch kit and a black violet secondary spring . I got mine from him. It does the job and does it well ! I have not smoked a belt since and I'm running 29.5 outlaw 2s ... Rpm problem solved and its alot stronger on the bottom. It is gonna get replaced by Kris for a Qsc/Stm at some point but I'm like you and needed a quick ,cheaper fix ... I also got the recall for the primary stud done to hopefully “bulletproof" it and buy me some time...

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Like Todd said , get a Dalton clutch kit and a black violet secondary spring . I got mine from him. It does the job and does it well ! I have not smoked a belt since and I'm running 29.5 outlaw 2s ... Rpm problem solved and its alot stronger on the bottom. It is gonna get replaced by Kris for a Qsc/Stm at some point but I'm like you and needed a quick ,cheaper fix ... I also got the recall for the primary stud done to hopefully “bulletproof" it and buy me some time...
Ill buy ur used dalton kit

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I didn't know where the "CVT cover drain plug" was so I decided to buy the maintenance manual. I figured it would lead me in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Always good to have one. The drain plug is located on the rear of the back CVT cover towards the rear of the vehicle. There is an access hole in the skid plate to get to it...

·
Registered
103 Posts
That CVT cover drain plug was a pain in the ass. It was very difficult to get it off through that little square opening. When I finally got the rubber piece off, there was sand inside it. I guess sand and water got in it while I was stuck in the sandy bottom of the creek. I figured it would be sealed where nothing could get in. I emptied all of the sand out of that rubber piece then put it back on. Pretty difficult getting the clamp back on it too. I took a zip tie so I could tighten it to hold the hole open all the way, finally got it back in place, then cut the zip tie off. Not sure if it needs to all come apart and cleaned out or what. My dealership is still waiting to get the tools in to fix the clutch recall. I will be glad when they do that...then they can clean it out when they have it apart. haha

·
Registered
725 Posts
If there is sand and what not in your CVT housing that could cause a whole new batch of problems. I would take it apart and clean it or remove the plug and stick a water hose in your CVT intake or exhaust and wash what you can out!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts