Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Can am Maverick and wanted to buy some skid plates for it. Well after buying this beast I am tapped out of money. Has any one of you bought skid plates and would not mind posting a diagram of them, and measurements.
I would appreciate that so much.. In advance THANK YOU.. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was thinking about getting a piece plastic 4x 8 sheet from tap plastic in sacramento or online and cutting it out myself... I bet that would save a lot of $$$.

Rich

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
I was thinking about getting a piece plastic 4x 8 sheet from tap plastic in sacramento or online and cutting it out myself... I bet that would save a lot of $$$.

Rich
i was quoted $300 for a 4x10 sheet of 3/8" UMHW plastic. i could make skids for my Maverick, Teryx4 and possibly a second Mav. Its definately the cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See everyone wants to make there own.. :) Just need a templet do make it.. I know some one will make one and post it.. At least you can hope for one.. Thanks Guys.. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Skids from Factory UTV cover pretty much the whole under belly of the Mav where stock ones are around the frame rails. Tracing the stock ones will only give you limited protection & another edge to catch on when going over objects. With UHMW and full coverage you just slide over anything you encounter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok now that you made fun of me.. :)
If I do find some of the UHMW plastic what is the best way to cut it?? Look I me doing this all my self, give a woman a break will ya.. :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You can use either a skil saw or table saw to cut the plastic to the size needed. Jig Saw or bandsaw for the tight cuts. Do a few test cuts first because if you go too slow or use the wrong blade the plastic will want to melt. I used a carbide tipped blade & worked like a champ on some stuff that I have made. Use 3/8" or 1/2" UHMW depending on the terrain your going to play in, most are using the 3/8".

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Ok now that you made fun of me.. :)
If I do find some of the UHMW plastic what is the best way to cut it?? Look I me doing this all my self, give a woman a break will ya.. :)
Skill saw
jigsaw
Holewsaw
Router

A word of advice. These tools are very sharp and dangerous. The safest way to use them is to remove all clothing. Make sure to post pictures of you completing the task safely.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts