Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered one thru my dealer. It has been 5 weeks since they began the install and it still doesn't work right...no where near as good as stock! My dealer tells me that Silber hasn't been much help. They initially sent a wrong part (spring maybe). Something to do with altitude. If that is an issue, then why didn't they ask the appropriate questions when the order is being placed?! Then, it took over two weeks to get here! WTF! This is the first turbo my dealer has installed on a Maverick. But the mechanic doing the job has turbo experience. Silber advertises their turbo as "bolt on". Well, it did bolt on, but the thing doesn't work right. They say 7 hrs to install it. I would be happy with less than 20. My dealer has way more than that into it trying to trouble shoot Silber's problems. I have dealt with this dealer for years and they are very good. There seems to be a communication issue between Silber's electronics and those of the Maverick. I don't really understand. Not my department. The thing shuts down regularly. No apparent rhyme or reason to this. The RPMs vary when it shuts down. But, for sure, it shuts down when the RPM is held constant at 4300, 5000, & 6900 RPMs. My top end also dropped from 119kph (70mph) to 108kph (64mph)! And the new clutch...rattles. My dealer gave me a loaner last weekend while they had mine and it was superior over my turbo'd XRS in acceleration and top speed! WTF!!! Silber should not be selling a product that does not do what they promise. I have sent Silber 2 emails regarding this pleading for help. They have yet to reply! This is not fair to me or my dealer. I'm going to ask my dealer to send it back. I have no other choice. I guess I'll wait for the aerocharger! BOTTOM LINE (at this point) : DO NOT BUY A SILBER TURBO!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Man…I hope you can get it figured out...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sorry to hear that but every turbo I know of has had reliability issues and they all say not ours! Ours is dailed in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of turbo do u have, desertdog?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Ya u need to talk to or send ur maverick to Kelly at kms in phx az

He has a turbo 200hp maverick

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Also why won't mcX make turbos for us

·
Registered
91 Posts
I talked to Aerocharger and Silber. The guys at Aerocharger told me there was a problem with putting a turbo on a Maverick because of the ECU. Both companies deal with the problem differently. Apparently Silber hasn't gotten it figured out completely for the direction they went.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

what kind of turbo?

·
Registered
11 Posts

completely agree the only person that would tune/ trouble shoot my machine would be some one with experience turbo charging my specific machine perferable some whos done it multiple times. Ive owned mulitple turbo vehicles over the years and learned the hard way a number of times before I decided to ship my car across the country to reputable shops. I would seriously get in contact with this kelly guy

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
What kind of turbo do u have, desertdog?
I dont have one. too much BS for me to deal with.
Everyone that I know of that has had one on a SxS has had issues. All different brands of SxS and turbos.
I 'll let other's have those headaches, no thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont have one. too much BS for me to deal with.
Everyone that I know of that has had one on a SxS has had issues. All different brands of SxS and turbos.
I 'll let other's have those headaches, no thanks.
Hey desertdog, how do you like the muzzy pipes?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much louder do you think they are at idle? under power?
Do you think they gave you the 11hp muzzy claims?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
How much louder do you think they are at idle? under power?
Do you think they gave you the 11hp muzzy claims?
I didn't install the quiet cores or the spark arrester screens and at idle it is just a little bit but close to the same. Under power it is louder but not to loud to me, I have always liked the muzzy sound. It has a deeper throatier sound. The most noticeable difference was the throttle response. It's peppier and more responsive without a doubt. It also feels like its rev's better, easier and quicker. The guy I bought it & the digi tune from dyno'd the combination and got 8 HP gain. I talked to the Muzzy rep at the sand show and he said he can tune it to get 10 or 11 HP. I believe the seat of the pants dyno more than all the different machines.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was my understanding, that once the turbo was set up properly, it would be reliable and would not need adjustment. This was fundamental in the decision to installing one. My buddy has a 900 razor with turbo and has 2000+ miles and no problem. That is what I'm looking for. I just talked to my dealer and Silber has not returned his calls. They have not returned my emails. Their customer service is non existent! My dealer has sent me the following re this thread:
"found it, but we've already tried all the things they've suggested.
the clutches aren't giving us any trouble, yes you may get more bite with an after market set, but the stock ones are holding together for us.
our problem has got to be with the stock computer fighting the turbo, there's no other options. All our map settings are set to Silber's specs, our waste gate is set to their specs, we put a smaller valve in so we don't drown the turbo, we put a weaker spring in the waste gate to cut down on boost, we tried the fuel additive, it fixed the leaning out problem, but at the end of the day the turbo is producing a lot of power and the ECU won't allow it to work better than stock. As for the guys that question our dealerships "ability to install such a sophisticated system" there's nothing sophisticated about it, you bolt it on, the holes only match up one way, if you get it wrong it doesn't fit, the only thing you can screw up is the waste gate setting and the map settings, so if the settings are all set to the EXACT settings Silber wants us to set them to, then how can you go wrong? I'm so frustrated with the service at Silber now, I'm to the point where they should refund the money, pay to take the kit back and when Aerocharger has their kit fine tuned we can order one from them."

BOTTOM LINE: SILBER SUCKS!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
very disappointing......how much did you pay for the kit if you don't mind me asking? Call the BBB and file a complaint....they will have a hard time ignoring that.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'd bet the problem is the throttle closing. Once the computer detects what it thinks is wheelspin, it shuts the throttle. This may not be the whole problem, but I'll bet it's part of it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I bet they need a black box to and that new ecu with cable throttle body

1 - 20 of 48 Posts