Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Tool kit should be in the upper left compartment of your glove box. If it aint there you need to have the dealer provide one. There are enough tools to do a belt change (not the best, but enough to get you thru in a pinch), plus a spanner wrench for the shocks that you would need if you need to make some shock adjustments

Reactions: SoCalJeff

·
Registered
527 Posts
You are correct for the OEM clutch. The bolt should be in your factory tool kit that came with your Mav. I have an STM secondary, which requiers me to remove the secondary clutch bolt to use the STM secondary clutch tool.
Ah I see, Thanks for clearing it up and the info!! had no idea STM you had to removel sec to change belt. Is it much more work than to change on a OEM?? Or not to bad?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Tool kit should be in the upper left compartment of your glove box. If it aint there you need to have the dealer provide one. There are enough tools to do a belt change (not the best, but enough to get you thru in a pinch), plus a spanner wrench for the shocks that you would need if you need to make some shock adjustments
Yeah, the glove box was empty. I will talk to them today when I pick it up. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Ah I see, Thanks for clearing it up and the info!! had no idea STM you had to removel sec to change belt. Is it much more work than to change on a OEM?? Or not to bad?
You don't have to remove it, you just have to remove the mounting bolt since that is also where you screw in the clutch spreader unlike the OEM secondary...

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
You just have to remove the secondary bolt to use the STM clutch tool. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hey SoCal here's another tip to save your belt that some have discovered the hard way. When you run hard long enough that you know you've heated the belt and then stop, be aware that after you stop the belt will continue to heat up due to the air flow stopping. Just like shutting off an engine and then the temperature rises since the water flow has stopped. If you take off again before the belt has time to cool down don't take off and put the hammer down right away. You need to drive moderately for awhile so the belt has a chance to come back down to normal operating temp. If you jump in and flog it with a hot belt it can blow up due to excess heat.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I have an STM blower that I let run for 5 min or so after I shut the motor down.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have an STM blower that I let run for 5 min or so after I shut the motor down.
I have been abusing my STM rage 6 this weekend in high 80* weather and had no issues yet. Knock on Woody's head.
I ordered the blower Tuesday. I hope to have it by midweek. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
204 Posts
With all this talk of the belt, I had to check it out and do some of the recommendations on here. I don't have that many hours on it but also wanted to know how hard it would be if I get stuck and have to do a change in the field. I purchased the 8mm ratchet wrench, a 1/4" drive ratchet and 6" extension. I got the swivel head ratchet which helps in some areas plus makes it easier to spin the bolts off. It didn't take that long and now I'm happy to know that my belt still looked brand new.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts