Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a leadfoot driver most of the time. but today I had my 5y/o, 8y/o, and MOM in the Mav max with me in Ocotillio Wells. We were there for a day trip. Rode from HWY 78 at Pole Line Rd. to Gas Domes, from there took the sand washes to the Pumpkin Patch, then to Shell Reef and back to Pole Line Rd. to load up and head home. While driving down Pole Line Rd. (pretty silty) 35-40 mph I heard the belt start to go and within a couple seconds it was gone and I had no power to the wheels.

I was lucky enough to have some folks in and old Rhino pull up within 20 minutes and offered to tow me to my truck/trailer. For the life of me, I have no idea what I could have done wrong to have my belt shred with so few miles. I know some people have had their stock belt for well over 1500 miles and others have had theirs let go like mine. I'm bummed.

The funny thing is, I bought an extra belt on Friday afternoon before heading home to load the MAV on the trailer. What I didn't do was look into how to change a belt and what tools would be necessary to do a field change.

Does anyone have a link to the service manual that covers how to change a belt?? :question:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Low or high range in the silty stuff?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
yes run L gear when loaded up and not on hard pack

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low or high range in the silty stuff?
It was in high range.

yes run L gear when loaded up and not on hard pack
I didn't know that. I have the sport mode ow range switch harness installed and still never thought to drop it down in those conditions. Ugh. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
break the new belt in not to hard not to easy cycle it thru heat stages , first 15-20 miles they say ,

just seen u run 31'' tires also and your a 4 seater for sure run low gear, and if it still happens then upgrade the clutch

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine rarely sees high range. You can run up to 45 in low, and with the sport low harness, it is an animal in low gear. I pretty much just use high range for dirt roads so it isn't revved up so high at cruising speed. There is a lot less stress on the belt if you use low as often as you can.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
low range for anything under 35mph and especially when loaded down with passengers or extra weight.

also, you need to ALWAYS ride with another machine. Chit happens as you just found out.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a leadfoot driver most of the time. but today I had my 5y/o, 8y/o, and MOM in the Mav max with me in Ocotillio Wells. We were there for a day trip. Rode from HWY 78 at Pole Line Rd. to Gas Domes, from there took the sand washes to the Pumpkin Patch, then to Shell Reef and back to Pole Line Rd. to load up and head home. While driving down Pole Line Rd. (pretty silty) 35-40 mph I heard the belt start to go and within a couple seconds it was gone and I had no power to the wheels.

I was lucky enough to have some folks in and old Rhino pull up within 20 minutes and offered to tow me to my truck/trailer. For the life of me, I have no idea what I could have done wrong to have my belt shred with so few miles. I know some people have had their stock belt for well over 1500 miles and others have had theirs let go like mine. I'm bummed.

The funny thing is, I bought an extra belt on Friday afternoon before heading home to load the MAV on the trailer. What I didn't do was look into how to change a belt and what tools would be necessary to do a field change.

Does anyone have a link to the service manual that covers how to change a belt?? :question:
You can do the research on you tube, watch the video to get a real feel for how its done. Really all you need is the secondary clutch release tool to open the clutch to remove and install the new belt along with the socket, extension and ratchet to remove the belt cover. I Think the belt cover bolts are 8mm if I am not mistaken. Also a good idea to carry a small flat blade screwdriver and a pair of angle cutters to help get out the push pins from the plastic trim. Throw in a 10mm socket in case you want to get the lower skid plate off the machine for better access...All in all, in the field, your first time, I would imagine you wouldn't be down for more than an hour, and you will only get better and faster from there!

Reactions: c.reynolds

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
low range for anything under 35mph and especially when loaded down with passengers or extra weight.

also, you need to ALWAYS ride with another machine. Chit happens as you just found out.
You're right about that. I try not to ride alone on my motorcycles. Unfortunately, I don't have many friends with SideXSides yet.

My buddy just picked up the new Commander Max so hopefully, I won't ride alone again.

That's why I chose Ocotillo Wells. It's difficult to not run across someone within 10-20 minutes. And I always stay on the main trails when I'm solo. No cross country stuff for this exact reason.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the input fellas!!

I learned a major lesson from this. I'm so glad I found this board before something more serious could have happened.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
also, keep in mind....more times then not, when you blow a belt, it isn't always due to what type of driving you are doing at that point in time. The damage could have been done on a previous ride and the bely finally let go on you while you where outriding it this time.....too much heat will cause the belt to crack and delaminate and then start to slowly come apart.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Thank you all for the input fellas!!

I learned a major lesson from this. I'm so glad I found this board before something more serious could have happened.
here u go this gives u a good idea,

same set up we have

Reactions: SoCalJeff

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also, keep in mind....more times then not, when you blow a belt, it isn't always due to what type of driving you are doing at that point in time. The damage could have been done on a previous ride and the bely finally let go on you while you where outriding it this time.....too much heat will cause the belt to crack and delaminate and then start to slowly come apart.
That makes sense. It looks like a PITA to get to but it makes sense to try to inspect it after every few rides.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
This is what I carry for a belt change in the field:

8mm ratchet wrench (to get the bottom 4 bolts on the CVT cover)
1/4 drive ratchet with a 10" extention, a 7, and 8 mm sockets (7mm for the hose clamp on the front CVT exhaust tube)
I use a staple puller (Home Depot) to pull the plastic rivets.
secondary clutch tool
and of course...spare belt.

Take the time to do a belt change in the comfort of your garage to get familiar with the process.
the hard part is removing the plastics to get to the CVT cover. After that it's a pretty easy, straight forward process.
I can change out a belt in 20-25 minutes in the field.

Like posted above, break in your belt by running it thru at least 3 heat cycles (no full throtle, run for 10-15 minutes, stop and let it cool down for 15-20 minutes, repeat, repeat again), and use low range for cruising around, or high load situations (loaded down, deep sand and silt, climbing steep or rocky hills). Your belt will thank you.

A clutch upgrade would be a good idea. A minimum of a clutch kit for the stock clutch, or best option aftermarket clutches. JMO

Reactions: SoCalJeff

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
spare belt and how to change it, like said, do it at home as a trial, have a box with your belt change stuff in it, a led flashlight or one of those hats with lights on the bil, spare battery for flashlight and spare tire is all great. those are required for any serious riding more than a mole or two from your home

·
Registered
527 Posts
From changing belt on other brands of atv's, I'm sorry, but this doesn't look too bad at all! worse part like you say is removing all the plastic!! one question? So you have a secondary clutch tool to change a belt?? I thought all you need is a 8x70mm bolt to open the secondary, then you can remove/install the belt? Please correct me if im wrong??

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You are correct for the OEM clutch. The bolt should be in your factory tool kit that came with your Mav. I have an STM secondary, which requiers me to remove the secondary clutch bolt to use the STM secondary clutch tool.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As luck would have it, my brand new Mav did not have a tool kit in it (a least, I have not found it). The 8X70 bolt will be purchased this weekend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts