Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

shreded belt stuck behind flywheel

5K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  heavysledz 
#1 ·
I shreded my belt and parts of the belt ( rope like material) has gotten caught behind the clutch flywheel. I've taken it apart all the way to the fly wheel and dont know how to get the wheel off any suggestions? Ty in advance!

#2 ·
It's actuall the inner sheave of the clutch, and you'll need a clutch puller to get it off.

#3 ·
long needle nose, or a knife dig it out ?

how many miles did u get and was it self inflicted?

#5 ·
Yeah you will need a factory clutch puller. Also when removing the inner sheave the puller tip will need a very small dab of grease on the tip only. This will help it turn easy. While turning the puller bolt, gently tap the sheave with a hammer to get it to pop loose. The you can get to anything stuck behind it.

#6 ·
welcome to the forum...sorry to hear about the belt issue. Looks like the other comments have you pointed in the right direction.

#7 ·
Tried to pull peices out just not enough room between the housing to get in their. Ive only got 527mi on my mav and have had to replace tie rods, A arms, 3 new back tires (due to sidewall punctures), had fuel gauge issues ( gauge would read emty when I had 1/2 tank), cv boots And so on.. I dont think the belt issue is self inflicted as I have faithfully ran my mav for at least 15min for a warm up every time!
Dear Abby am I just to much of a man for this "machine!?"
;)

#11 ·
The issue isn't with proper warm up. It is about too much heat in the belt. Sounds like you ride your equipment hard.....I would recommend a CVT belt temp gauge so you can monitor your temps and know when you are getting it too hot and you can prevent a blown belt from occurring in the future.

#8 ·
With the info provided I think at this point ill just bring it to my dealer torn apart and have them pull it and put it back on then finish the job myself after that.

#9 ·
Good luck with that.

#10 ·
Just get the puller. It's simple. Dealers will probably screw it up.

#13 ·
It helps....I have mine wrapped but the biggest problem is heat induced from belt slippage or improper clutching putting too much load on the belt....

#15 ·
exactly!!

#17 ·
I ride in No. NV and its very rocky thats why the A arms got bent.The tie rod bent pulling the rig onto my trailer, pulled it on at a slight angle and bent the rod to a 90°. I ride with a buddy that has a rzr and he beats the wholly livn snot outta that thing and it keeps on tickn. Its to the point where he referrers to my mav as the "PP" pavement pounder!

#18 ·
Dont get me wrong I love my mav but it just seems like BRP spent all the money on the power plant and went as cheap as they could on EVERYTHING else!

#21 ·
Yup, these are made for middle of the road general public. Then customize it to your needs.

#22 ·
You're exactly right! Slowly but surly im getting their just a matter of figuring out whats gonna hold up and whats not.

#23 ·
Spend some time reading here in the forum. It will keep you from learning the hard way when someone else has probably all ready been there done that and has since figured out a better way or what needs to be done to prevent it from happening again. I have no doubt if you equip your Maverick for the terrain you ride in, it will be a beast and will do things and go places the Polaris cannot....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.