Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the big sand box today. Was riding with the Teryx forums peeps with a Rhino leading. Not the fastest group. But they did move along at a good pace. We duned to one of the big hills, either hill 4 or China wall. Of course, everybody stopped to have a cold one. Well, I don't drink, and the slower than normal pace left me with a little bit of energy that I needed to release. So, I kept duning! Shot the hill about a dozen times. Headed out into the dunes twice. Put on a show for about twenty minutes. Had a BLAST!!! Never smelt the belt slipping. Everything was working great. I stopped for ten minutes with my fellow utv'ers. Then we left the hill, and we were just tooling along and the belt exploded into a thousand little pieces!!! I had 525 miles on it. Luckily, there was a Rhino in our group with an 800 Rotax motor in it, and he had a brand-new belt that he let me borrow. It took two of us 22 minutes to change it. I was hoping that the belt could handle my driving style. I'm bummed that it cant! I'm debating on installing a boat bilge blower on the cvt intake, or drilling ten or so 1 1/2" holes in the cover to get more air to the belt.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yeap you're the unlucky first! I'm sure it's because of the heat, I was hoping the revisions can am made would keep this from happening but we shall see.

·
Registered
113 Posts
good thing it didnt bust you belt box, they dont have any in stock anywhere, we used some good ole JB weld to patch ours back together.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Glad my new Primary will be here before the Mav gets here..... Seems like that's all I see anymore is blown belts on Commanders... junk slipping primary

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
didnt wanna see this but im hoping u drive crazy and 525 miles was pretty good for ur belt ? lol

duning and a chit load of hill runs and showing off im sure created a BUNCH of extra heat/slipping , :)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
ouch, i think a blower would be better than drilling holes myself, it forces air down at all speeds. holes wont do much good at slow speeds. its the heat that causes them to fail and then split apart during aggressive riding , or after that if it got real hot. im betting you wont shred another with a blower.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I thought 525 was pretty good also. I was under the impression that dunning was about as extreme as it gets as far as belt life was concerned! What should expected belt life be in the desert?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
we just need a bad ass blower for the inline tube wired to a switch , !

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had the cvt blower from suprme tool inc and all has been good with the commander, you might want to check your helix for wear if your clutch is getting hot. I'm going throughout them on my outlander,it's been 37 degrees with 85 to 90% humitate here ( Darwin, Australia )

·
Registered
9,396 Posts
If it makes you feel better USAguy shredded his Maverick belt today too.

Reactions: Glamisfan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why not wrap the exhaust in this area with header wrap.I t would cut down on some of the heat around the cvt housing.

·
Premium Member
8,366 Posts
Why not wrap the exhaust in this area with header wrap.I t would cut down on some of the heat around the cvt housing.
i dont think its exhaust heat that is the problem. remember the belt is held on the sheeves by friction and friction creates heat and heat kills rubber belts.

i think i need to get me a spare belt and swap them out so i have a good broken in spare belt.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeap you're the unlucky first! I'm sure it's because of the heat, I was hoping the revisions can am made would keep this from happening but we shall see.
I too was hoping the revisions would give us a reliable belt. On my Rhino I ran it with out a housing, and I had 3000 miles on the belt when I sold it.
Even with the double walled exhaust, it's to close to the housing! That's 50.5 hp flowing by the entire length of the cvt housing. So I think I'm going to wrap the header pipe, and install a blower, and try it again. Sure I was driving it like a 16 year old kid that just stole a brand new Corvette! But, I still want the belt to be reliable!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Glamisfan, let me know which belt you recieve from brp as a replacement belt. I've been following the belt thread on the commander forums and I find it crazy you can't actually buy a belt with the same part number that the machine come with from the factory.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Seriously for a 20k second machine from BRP and this crap still going on? How do the french fruit loops drive when they are testing this thing!!! This is absolute BS its not like you guys a racing it. It should be reliatble for hard recreational riding. I think people should get the extended warranty and if i even sniff my belt make the jerks replace it!! These cvt issues should have been dealt with at the engineering stage way before the units sold. If this was in the auto industry this amount of failer rate weve seen on this forum would make the car co the joke of the industry with the auto journalists and media sticking it to them.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts