Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1161 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
I had a great time in the Cinders except for the stereos in every other SXS, and like a DA, I parked by the main road with all the dust it must be a challenge to see how much dust you can create while driving by camps

Although I found lot’s of forest trails to explore

Oh yeah and folks letting there kids drive their SXS

We went to dinner with my brother in Flag and moments after we left camp two young girls in a Polaris missed the turn at the 1st camping area barely missing trees jumping the culvert knocking down the brand new sign and driving through camp. Although the family came back to tried to stand it back up Oh Sorry 😐 !

View attachment 272082 View attachment 272083
OUCH! What happened to the girls and Polaris, LOL! Were they alright? Did they get ticketed or anything?

·
Registered
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,541 Posts
The camp next to us said they were OK messed up the front of the SXS some plastics laying around

But my brother sent me a FB post three life flight responders to a crash up the road
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Darkness

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
The camp next to us said they were OK messed up the front of the SXS some plastics laying around

But my brother sent me a FB post three life flight responders to a crash up the road View attachment 272085
Yeah, I received that alert. I think 2 died? Very unfortunate, just continues to shine a bad light on all off roading.

·
Registered
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,541 Posts
Yeah, I received that alert. I think 2 died? Very unfortunate, just continues to shine a bad light on all off roading.
Unfortunately your right I was amazed by the lack of knowledge about driving and respect for the guys on the trails Drivers passing us head on at race speed no hand signals as to how many in a group

They camp next to us said it was the busiest they have seen it.

What makes it harder is the trees cant see far enough ahead I had mu spots and driving light on to try snd avoid a head-on

Watched the hill climb but quickly could see someone getting hurt so me moseyed on

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Unfortunately your right I was amazed by the lack of knowledge about driving and respect for the guys on the trails Drivers passing us head on at race speed no hand signals as to how many in a group

They camp next to us said it was the busiest they have seen it.

What makes it harder is the trees cant see far enough ahead I had mu spots and driving light on to try snd avoid a head-on

Watched the hill climb but quickly could see someone getting hurt so me moseyed on
Yep, and with the many newbies that are driving now with no disregard for anything, it just fuels the tree huggers fight. Accidents / deaths is just what they want to continue to assault the off roading community, and get areas shut down.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
794 Posts
Yep, and with the many newbies that are driving now with no disregard for anything, it just fuels the tree huggers fight. Accidents / deaths is just what they want to continue to assault the off roading community, and get areas shut down.
That is the problem with every established OHV area in pretty much every part of the country. It isn't new to UTV's, this is the same conversation for the last 40 years. This is the same as when I was a kid going to Glamis in the 80's. The simple answer is if you don't want to deal with the crowds, or the issues that come with them, either travel further from population centers or go during the week. Unfortunately people aren't getting smarter and every day that passes brings us closer to Idiocracy being a documentary.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
That is the problem with every established OHV area in pretty much every part of the country. It isn't new to UTV's, this is the same conversation for the last 40 years. This is the same as when I was a kid going to Glamis in the 80's. The simple answer is if you don't want to deal with the crowds, or the issues that come with them, either travel further from population centers or go during the week. Unfortunately people aren't getting smarter and every day that passes brings us closer to Idiocracy being a documentary.
Yep, pure and simple.

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
515 Posts
I’m amazed at how few riders use hand signals to signal how many riders are following in their group. This is something I learned while riding motorcycles with my dad as a grom.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
I’m amazed at how few riders use hand signals to signal how many riders are following in their group. This is something I learned while riding motorcycles with my dad as a grom.
Excellent point! More drivers / riders don't than do. They probably have no idea.

Reactions: Waveslider

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Yeah unfortunately you’re right, many just don’t know. When I signal to oncoming traffic most assume I’m just waving. Or if there’s nobody behind me and I signal as such they think I’m brandishing the Black Lives Matter symbol.
Man, I was called right twice in the same thread! Banner day, LOL.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,541 Posts
Never thought of snow machines but same issue on watercraft

Like both of you. I grew up fishing, hunting, boating, riding and buggyin all learning from Dad, Uncles Cousins. Maybe that’s it no mentoring prior to purchasing a SXS

A buddy of mine used to sell Kawasaki's ninja’s in San Diego he sold them to Navy Sailors or Marines he would ask if they had ridden a motorcycle they would mention a mini bike or a dirt bike back home

He would try and sell them something less powerful until they get used to riding but nope

Unfortunately days later he would he would read in the paper of a accident on some of the twisty roads in the backcountry and what ya know one of his sales

He saved the articles to to persuade them to reconsider a less powerful bike mostly to no avail

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was up there in late 90s took the steam train up and bus back to Durango

Guess I will make a trip back up with the RV and SXS

Did the resend the NO SXS in town law when you were there?
yeah the sxs were allowed in town as before. congratulations to the businesses for getting it worked out. lake city even renewed and expanded their ordinance for utvs on the street. we were there in 2019 and you couldn't drive down the main street. this time you could. so maybe there is more of us doing the right thing than the d#$% heads that don't.

1101 - 1120 of 1161 Posts