Registered
2017 Can-am Maverick 1000r DPS
90 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Maverick Sport X RC
31 Posts
Martinez Cabin

Our first real trip out this past weekend with the new car and put in around 115 miles total, cruising around the desert and exploring.

Desert camping. It’s not the forest, whispering pines, and running creeks…but the desert has a beauty of its own.

Our view from the trailer

My temporary load-out for gear. Hopefully should have a better set-up for the next trip.

Couldn’t have asked for better weather. Think the highs were maybe 70°-71°, lows around 50°. Absolutely gorgeous out.

The Martinez Cabin has seen better days

The mining base a short 10-15 minute hike away

Foolin’ around at the Waterfall

And lots of trails

It was a great weekend, tough to go back to work.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #949
Where is the Martinez cabin at?

Can you post some details about the mine and its hike. Looking to put a ride together soon, this looks interesting.

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Maverick Sport X RC
31 Posts
AZ Off Road – Hours and hours of fun sitting at work waiting to take more time off? Or hours and hours of future outdoor fun in the new car? I prefer to think about the outdoor part!

EODAZ – Hope this helps:

If you’re in Florence, AZ….head north on 79 and take Cottonwood Canyon Road east.

Right off the 79 there’s a staging point…but there’s a TON of camping/staging spots on either the north or south side of Cottonwood road. It’s a little over 5 miles to a cattle guard and then there’s a few camp spots after that…but that’s about where it turns into more of a high ground clearance area, and less trailer-friendly.

Getting to the cabin isn’t too difficult…we used GAIA on our phones and followed the roads accordingly. Very difficult to get totally lost, there’s signs at major crossings pointing the way. There’s more than one way to get there, but mainly: Cottonwood Canyon Road turns into Ajax Mine Trail and bear right on to Mineral Mine Road which heads south and eventually turns into Box Canyon Road. Take that a while and make a hard left onto Martinez Canyon Road. That will take you all the way to the blocked cabin road (mainly stick to your right for off-shoots), where you have to get out and hike. At a brisk pace it’s a 10 minute hike to the cabin, in a wash and no way to get turned around. From the cabin you can continue left on a steady incline road that leads to what looks like Columbia mine on the map, which is a long ways off on foot. We didn’t do that. Instead follow the wash right, past the cabin, through the canyon and it’s another 10-15 minute hike to the mining camp.

We found two mine shafts easily nearby. One past the main structure, on the same side of the wash, and one up high across the wash.

The same-side one is relatively accessible, with a steep and slippery descent. Someone was nice enough to tie off a long length of mule tape to hang on to.

It didn’t go very far until we reached a flooded out section. I didn’t bring my waders, so stopped here.

Across the wash and a short hike up, there’s a vertical shaft. Wouldn’t even think of climbing down this one without professional equipment.

There are other mines spread throughout the general area, but this was the biggest and most interesting one we came across.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A trip from Mesquite Nv to Tassi Ranch and Colorado River

The water line on the wall to the right of the river shows that about 8 or 9 years ago I'd be in 30 or 40 feet of Lake Mead here. In 2005 four of us ran power boats from the marina at Callville Bay to this point.

This was a prerun for our Baja trip next week. Here we come!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bking- looks like a good ride!
I mapped something out that way before and seemed to be more than a tank of fuel. Did you stop at Bar-10 to top off or make it with a can?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bking- looks like a good ride!
I mapped something out that way before and seemed to be more than a tank of fuel. Did you stop at Bar-10 to top off or make it with a can?
I've done Bar Ten, it's southeast from Mesquite, this route is southwest and we took fuel. We went over Limekiln Canyon then back through Whitney Pockets and along the north side of Virgin Peak mountains. It was about 140 miles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Went for a short ride with the wife and kid with thw Maverick and the RZR on the north rim of the Snake River, right around Evel Kenevel was supposed to land. It was cold but dry and not much mud or dust. We found a local secret hodden lake called Vineyard Lake. I have looked for it half heartedly in the past but never did find it until today. Not very big but cool nonetheless. I got the wife and kid behind the wheel in the Maverick really for the first time too. Then we went ti Red Robin for burgers and beer. The kid drove home... View attachment 264373 View attachment 264374 View attachment 264375
did you start your hike in off the 950 road or the turn around to the west on the devils corral road?

941 - 960 of 987 Posts