Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

881 - 900 of 941 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another 8 days in Baja, this time we got down to Loreto

We always start from the El Cortez in San Felipe. Secure parking for all the vehicles/trailers etc

Down the 5

A little rock crawling to connect beaches. We ran more beaches this trip then ever, maybe 150 miles or so:

We chased this guy from his spot before he was finished with his lunch, he's holding onto it though:

Hotel in San Ignacio, La Huerta, highly recommended:

Playa Santispac, south of Mulege on Bahia Concepcion, beautiful bay:

El Coyote:

Playa El Requeson, at low tide you can cross to the island on sand:

La Hacienda in Loreto, good secure parking, also recommended:

Mision San Javier, southwest of Loreto:

You ride across a pretty tough desert like this:

Then drop into some small oasis like this one in Comondu:
valley
An abandoned oven used to make adobe brick:

Into San Juanico, aka Scorpion Bay, popular with surfers these days. Not easy to get to though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So this was one for the record books. We use a chase vehicle/trailer, this time both were mine. I get a radio call from chase driver, "uh, we just lost the trailer". Not what you want to hear in the middle of no where.

The pin holding jack plate came out earlier wrenching the jack, we did not know it had started to weaken the coupler

Vibration etc, and the coupler plate ripped clean in half about 30 mins later, dropping the trailer to the ground. 30 mins later, we had a solution, drove it some 60 miles to San Ignacio, our intended destination for some welding. Good to go.

Last leg on the Pacific side beach, across the peninsula on one of my favorite Baja roads

Mision San Francisco de Borja

And home. In line early to cross the border. Everyone made it home safe. Just about a perfect trip.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
So this was one for the record books. We use a chase vehicle/trailer, this time both were mine. I get a radio call from chase driver, "uh, we just lost the trailer". Not what you want to hear in the middle of no where.

The pin holding jack plate came out earlier wrenching the jack, we did not know it had started to weaken the coupler

Vibration etc, and the coupler plate ripped clean in half about 30 mins later, dropping the trailer to the ground. 30 mins later, we had a solution, drove it some 60 miles to San Ignacio, our intended destination for some welding. Good to go.

Last leg on the Pacific side beach, across the peninsula on one of my favorite Baja roads

Mision San Francisco de Borja

And home. In line early to cross the border. Everyone made it home safe. Just about a perfect trip.
Great pics man, some breathtaking! Looks like a great time was had by all, that's what it's all about.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got curious about Saddle Mountain in Tonopah, AZ when I was driving on Salome Highway one evening, then studied it on Google Maps the next day. I discovered a small trail that goes completely around it. Like most trails that look so simple on the map, this one was more technical in person. It's a fun and scenic ride for sure!!

All Phoenicians have seen this mountain while driving on the I10 through Tonopah. To get there, you exit south on 411th Ave where the Pilot Travel Center is, then go west on Salome Highway, then either turn onto Courthouse Road or park right there at the intersection of Salome Highway and Courthouse Road like I did. After zigzagging on some squirrelly trails in the front Saddle Mountain, I entered the trail that I had studied near the western edge of the mountain. If you're interested it's best to study the map before you go.

The first photo is what you'll see near the Pilot Travel Center.

20201108_130759_HDR.jpg

20201108_135931.jpg

20201108_135926.jpg

Working around the western side, and totally out of view of the approximately 15 campers on the front/north side, I came across something that from first glance looked like a dead end caused by a washout. As I was walking around figuring it out, a rock hunter whose Jeep Renegade was parked nearby came up and said hi. He showed me that if you enter the wash and drive down it for 20 yards, there's a way to get back out on the other side. He said this was the end of the road for him, because last time his friend broke his tire down there and they had to walk several miles. He told me if I could get through this one, it would be the worst thing on the entire trail. He also coached me on how to enter it. I was actually very thankful for the help.

20201108_142624.jpg

Here's my favorite photo. People only see this view if they get past the big washout.

20201108_143149.jpg

This is the back side of the mountain. Right before I took this photo, I came across another big wash which I would judge to be about 60% as tough as the one in my photo above. A guy was standing and watching me from the other side as I crawled up the side he was on. I stopped and talked. He had a Kia Sorrento AWD SUV (very low clearance), had come from the opposite side (probably a better route than I ended up taking), and he was nervous about proceeding. He asked my opinion, and I said if I was him I would NOT enter that small/deep wash. He listened to me and turned around. He had to have taken a smoother route back because I still encountered a few deep washes after that.

20201108_144923_HDR.jpg

This was the last photo I took on the eastern side. I thought I was just about done with the loop, but ended up being incorrect. There was still plenty of driving to do, and I eventually came out under the power lines, east of where I parked.

20201108_145459_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
OK ! so I found this map in a house I bought next door. The old woman and her husband went rock hounding all the time

I thought what the hell I will investigate so across the river is Earp CA and Emerald Cove and a Riding are called Cross Roads

Dang if felt Kinda like a treasure map, I went out for quick ride after setting up camp and it didn’t disappoint

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
That's the first one I have ever seen like it All around it in wilderness markers. The needle’s office is very friendly to the CBD

Normally reality nondescript it tells me they are out doing trail surveys

None of them were out there 10 years ago

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
I was there yesterday alone. Running from QV to Superior. I got to the bottom of those switch backs and turned around, and headed back to QV. it was 80 at the staging, 60 ish at the saddles with 30+ mph gusts. Glad ai was wearing pants and have seat heaters at that time. Not a lot of traffic but I always manage to catch them on cliff faces..

On the way back I stayed in the washes. Finally saw not 1 or even 2 but 5 coatimundi. Managed to get my phone out for the last 2.

Made my day
This was one that made friends with us in Costa Rica last year
60ish degrees and you need seat heaters. Lol I wish we those 1st world problem around here. Awesome pics and great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Rolls area opened up after thanksgiving so I went out. I finally realized why they called it rolls..

Ran out of road and couldn’t find a nice way back to 1829 so I had to backtrack in the dark, with a windbreaker and no windshield 10ish miles at sub 20mph beca the temp went from near 80 to mid 50’s in about 30 minutes. I was alone of course lol

Rolls. Hence rolling hills. I never saw it from this angle before

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
Love the area, nice photos.
My window is a pain for some things but when it gets cold and you have seat heaters its down right Cozy in the cab.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Rolls area opened up after thanksgiving so I went out. I finally realized why they called it rolls..

Ran out of road and couldn’t find a nice way back to 1829 so I had to backtrack in the dark, with a windbreaker and no windshield 10ish miles at sub 20mph beca the temp went from near 80 to mid 50’s in about 30 minutes. I was alone of course lol

Rolls. Hence rolling hills. I never saw it from this angle before.
Thanks for the excellent photos. Were you able to park in the Rolls paved parking area along the Bush Highway? I've never parked there before but have driven past when it was closed in 2019. I was able to approach that area from the 4 Peaks parking area, but didn't go all the way that day, so it's still an unexplored area for me.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #895
Thanks for the excellent photos. Were you able to park in the Rolls paved parking area along the Bush Highway? I've never parked there before but have driven past when it was closed in 2019. I was able to approach that area from the 4 Peaks parking area, but didn't go all the way that day, so it's still an unexplored area for me.
I did a ride there last week no one was in the parking lot they all went through the gate and into the dirt parking areas past the paved parking. I can not remember if they had the paved parking blocked or not? But parking just inside is similar to pulling through the gate a Butter Jones and staging there. Plenty of room to park and ride.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Take 60 out east to the Queen Valley turn to the left. Follow that road towards Queen Valley for about a mile, it will lead you straight to the staging area. Paved road goes left at nearly a 90, dirt road straight ahead is to the staging area.

881 - 900 of 941 Posts