Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

661 - 680 of 696 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Other side of the city the terrain is light years different. Got out on FR 700 and then took off on some random roads. Let my wife drive for 1/2 the trip. She seems to like that better. She kept it under 25 the whole time.

I learned you can’t cross at Kelly canyon to the west side of 17 and get over to Fr 237 to get back to my house. Had to back track 5 miles.

I really need to figure out why the USFS maps suck for certain areas in Gaia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I persevered through another Anthem AZ holiday traffic jam yesterday and made it to Sedona for my first time in Sedona as an OHV rider.

Before I show my photos from the trail I liked, let me say something about the Cliffhanger Trail, which is unusual. If you're starting from the 89A, you need to go very slow and cautiously on the small trail, because there are people with tents set up under trees RIGHT BESIDE the trail. Most of these looked like the nomadic 14 day camper types. I drove very slowly and waved at some of them because who knows, some day I may be one of them.

Then on the upper Cliffhanger, I encountered a large vehicle that looked like a mini hummer with a flat bed with side rails and several people in the back. The trail was tiny, and all I could do was roll up a small burm and sit in a flat area so they could pass. When the driver gave me a dirty look, I went a little further because I thought he needed clearance. Then he lectured me that I was destroying the vegetation. The problem is someone had to do something, because his mini-monster vehicle was taking up 100% of the trail width. I don't think these tour operators like SxS's, to say the least.

I found it tonight. I guess they really are Hummers. Sedona Offroad Adventures. I'll keep my original description like it was....haha.

SedonaHummer.jpg

-------- THE SEDONA OUTLAW TRAIL --------

Now to say something POSITIVE, I LOVED the OUTLAW TRAIL. It has the perfect combination of everything most of us desire. Obviously great views, places where you can drive fast on tricky curvy terrain, lots of crawling up rock slabs or ledges, and a scenic winding forest road to take you back to finish the loop. For those who look for extras, right where the rough section transitions to the forest road, there's the Honaki Indian Ruins, with a ranger station and toilets. Apparently you can pay for a tour if it's open, but it was closed yesterday.

This is a CAN'T MISS trail, plus there are other alternate trails and signs to get you started. Very late yesterday I had fun on the Ranch Loop Trail that starts near the 89A, but I didn't complete the loop. This morning at home I can see where it goes, and I need to go back. This whole area has much more to explore.

All these photos are from the Outlaw. As usual, I have the scenic photos but could not get out of the Maverick to take cool technical photos when it was jacked up on rock slabs or ledges. Trust me, they are there. The Jeeps love this place.

20200523_151926.jpg

20200523_152055.jpg
20200523_160211.jpg
20200523_160612.jpg

20200523_160648.jpg

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
What’s the second stand alone scope for?
Was shooting 1650 today with a light bullet. Hard to get impact detail on damp soil from a 25x scope at that range. So I brought out the 80x scope so I could walk it down.
When it’s dry out normal scopes good enough for impacts, no dust on rain days, just scratch marks.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
That’s a long way for creedmore. Excellent cartridge though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes sir it is. Anything past 1400 it starts becoming challenging. Will still group at 1760 on light wind days. Half the rounds will be tumbling when they hit leaving triangle holes.
I break out the 338 when I have people over to shoot water jugs at 1760. But that guns made for that.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Made it out to our new private shore fishing spot yesterday with lots of trial and error. First 3 roads ended at cliffs, got it on the 4th. Nice little gate to get through and the place is ours.

45 min, 16 miles from our place. Would be much quicker if I did t get asked to go 25 because it’s cold, and ‘can we listen to Trolls soundtrack?’

Kids these days lol

The start of a 16 inch deep track that ends up with the top of your doors level to the grass. With a couple of ‘ohhhh shot’ turns and rocks for good measure. This is Elk Meadows on the way to the west shore of Upper Lake Mary

Moon set on our place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you want empty roads, northern Nevada is your place...

The dust trail you see is from wild horses. Probably 40 or 50 came bailing off the top of this mountain to the valley below. An awesome sight. We saw hundreds of horses over the two days. They're a problem Nevada has not figured out how to deal with.

10,000 feet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
doesn’t look like you where there memorial weekend with the bounce house crew

The land managers up there are appalled by the visitors that weekend

Beautiful shots man looks nice up there this time of year how long of a trip from phoenix is it for you

661 - 680 of 696 Posts