Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

641 - 660 of 674 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Feeling a little down because one of my favorite places was deserted (see previous post), at 2:00PM I thought "what else can I do?", "where else can I go?". Then out of nowhere I thought about Wickenburg Box Canyon which I had heard about but NEVER BEEN TO. I had a feeling that there may still be a couple/few people there by the time I arrived, but I wasn't sure. Since what I call the main/eastern trail of the Belmont Mountains is actually Vulture Mine Road which originates from Wickenburg, I thought why not check out the road which I've never driven on, find out where Box Canyon is even if I decide not to ride, and just try to complete the day with some exploration and knowledge gathering.

OMG was I in for a big surprise!! The photos below show that this was THE PLACE where everyone was going. It even beat the turnout I saw at 4 Peaks last week. This was my kind of place. I like all kinds of chaos and craziness, and there were so many people and so many different machines, darting in and out of the water. My photos were geared toward scenery, so they in no way show all the people who were in the canyon, parked in the wider areas of the river, and camping or day camping in every tree covered area.

This is the most sustained water I have ever driven in. I was tentative at first, but coming back the other way, maybe emboldened by getting through some deep areas while following Jeeps and trucks, I got very aggressive and waves of water were coming over the top and splashing me in the face and chest. I was really having fun after the hot and lonely trail I had been on earlier in the day.

This is a MUST VISIT AGAIN place. Also of interest is that I went on a back road that rises up away from the river, and I'd like to use it to explore where the road or trail is that takes you all the way up to Yarnell at 4780 feet. That may not happen until the Fall or Winter, but I'm still going back to Wickenburg Box Canyon for water fun, and am curious how long the water will last this summer?

20200502_164923.jpg

20200502_164958.jpg

20200502_171809_HDR.jpg

20200502_171836.jpg

20200502_172310_HDR.jpg

20200502_172335_HDR.jpg

20200502_171738.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
FINALLY got out for a ride. between work and this covid haven't been able to do much. also an unfortunate thing for me if where i live in texas you have quite a drive to get to anything decent. guess that just makes me appreciate the time out that much more. bought the rig in sep 2019 and now have 484 miles on her.

anyhow, had a great time on saturday. went to my buddys place in east texas and rode the back roads and some old forest service roads. found several trails where we were busting brush and some nice climbs. some of the less traveled had really bad ruts that made for fun crossing and definitely required good line choice.

20200502_140254.jpg

friends gf had roamed the area when she was younger. area was called hollow rock mountain. she said there was a large rock with a hold through the center of it, hence the name. they had explored the area a couple weeks ago with no luck of finding the rock. this weekend we found it. road up to the rock hasn't been traveled much lately and was washed out pretty good. made for a very fun climb. great spot for lunch.

20200502_150523.jpg

20200502_142207.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
FINALLY got out for a ride. between work and this covid haven't been able to do much. also an unfortunate thing for me if where i live in texas you have quite a drive to get to anything decent. guess that just makes me appreciate the time out that much more. bought the rig in sep 2019 and now have 484 miles on her.

anyhow, had a great time on saturday. went to my buddys place in east texas and rode the back roads and some old forest service roads. found several trails where we were busting brush and some nice climbs. some of the less traveled had really bad ruts that made for fun crossing and definitely required good line choice.

friends gf had roamed the area when she was younger. area was called hollow rock mountain. she said there was a large rock with a hold through the center of it, hence the name. they had explored the area a couple weeks ago with no luck of finding the rock. this weekend we found it. road up to the rock hasn't been traveled much lately and was washed out pretty good. made for a very fun climb. great spot for lunch.
Wow I really like East Texas!! Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quick overnight at Client's Well/Long valley AZ
Lots of people on sat but ghost town Sunday afternoon.

HORNEY TOAD9th

BLUE RIDGE Reservoir

GATOR ROCK.
Thanks for another great idea of a place to ride. I want to dedicate my summer to Payson, Young, the Rim, and farther north where you were. But I DON'T want to be the guy who drives over the edge of the rim like some unlucky SxS driver did last year. In other words, I need to get an area map and do some studying.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #647
Thanks for another great idea of a place to ride. I want to dedicate my summer to Payson, Young, the Rim, and farther north where you were. But I DON'T want to be the guy who drives over the edge of the rim like some unlucky SxS driver did last year. In other words, I need to get an area map and do some studying.
You will be just fine, the Guy who went over did so because he was driving on Rim road that literally goes right on the edge of the rim at high speed and got surprised by a corner and could not hold it and slid sideways off the cliff. That is just that road and in that area, all the rest of the roads are forest roads that are winding through the hills like any other part of AZ. You have just as much chance going off the road where you have been riding as up there. The simple answer is know your ability and don't take risk around corners with other peoples lives and you will be fine. Like the young girl who was driving the family Polaris S and was cutting the corner coming at us. We were on the hill side of the road and she should have been on the valley side. Instead she was all the way over in the gutter coming around a blind corner at about 30 MPH. I was teaching my 16 year old son to drive in the forest and was teaching him how to proceed around corners. Well he listened because he slowed down on his how and moved over to the inside edge just as we saw the PO PO coming right at our front grill. He hit the breaks and stopped on a dime and cut up the hill a little way. She hit the breaks and just missed us. Dad was in the passengers seat. That is the real danger in the mountains not the roads. Don't get me wrong I drive fast very fast but on straightaways and roads I can see the road I am riding on. Corners I slow down and but hit it on the other side.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You will be just fine, the Guy who went over did so because he was driving on Rim road that literally goes right on the edge of the rim at high speed and got surprised by a corner and could not hold it and slid sideways off the cliff. That is just that road and in that area, all the rest of the roads are forest roads that are winding through the hills like any other part of AZ. You have just as much chance going off the road where you have been riding as up there. The simple answer is know your ability and don't take risk around corners with other peoples lives and you will be fine. Like the young girl who was driving the family Polaris S and was cutting the corner coming at us. We were on the hill side of the road and she should have been on the valley side. Instead she was all the way over in the gutter coming around a blind corner at about 30 MPH. I was teaching my 16 year old son to drive in the forest and was teaching him how to proceed around corners. Well he listened because he slowed down on his how and moved over to the inside edge just as we saw the PO PO coming right at our front grill. He hit the breaks and stopped on a dime and cut up the hill a little way. She hit the breaks and just missed us. Dad was in the passengers seat. That is the real danger in the mountains not the roads. Don't get me wrong I drive fast very fast but on straightaways and roads I can see the road I am riding on. Corners I slow down and but hit it on the other side.
Thanks for the insight about Rim Road. I didn't know any details about it. You're right. It's no different than many of the sheer edges along the Montana Mountain Loop.

I'm happy that your son avoided the reckless driver.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The Mogollon Rim is a 2000 ft drop! My buddy was up on the FS300 and he couldn't believe all the people up there this weekend. Exercise extreme cautions when driving up there on the weekends! We've had some close calls on that trail too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Mogollon Rim is a 2000 ft drop! My buddy was up on the FS300 and he couldn't believe all the people up there this weekend. Exercise extreme cautions when driving up there on the weekends! We've had some close calls on that trail too.
Thanks for the additional advice!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I can't wait to get mine up north. You all just hanging out up there randomly? I'll be couple miles north of Munds on 17 next week(end) if you're up there.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Went on an early morning ride today. Made a loop from sycamore side over to Saguaro lake. Did some rock crawling and then some tree moving. What a great day on the trail ! Thx Mega for the invite and the entertainment watching you move that big ass tree !

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Cinders area as my buddy clearly doesn’t listen to ‘let’s avoid the whoops’

Yeah he got stuck right after telling me ‘you’ll make it, it’s not that tight’

Wolfsnout... better than nothing I suppose.
I did have a ‘oh hell’ moment after running this car wide open for about a mile, pulled up to him and shut it down, smoke from the right side of the engine, turned out to be from the clutch housing. We thought the belt went but it’s fine. Ran down for another 15 miles back.
Got shot milage, 6.5 galling for 51 miles of driving. But it was nice to have him say my car is faster and smoother which is true. He was back on the Liberties but only dropped 2 bars for that ride and he’s got a RR RC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Cinders area as my buddy clearly doesn’t listen to ‘let’s avoid the whoops’

Yeah he got stuck right after telling me ‘you’ll make it, it’s not that tight’

Wolfsnout... better than nothing I suppose.
I did have a ‘oh hell’ moment after running this car wide open for about a mile, pulled up to him and shut it down, smoke from the right side of the engine, turned out to be from the clutch housing. We thought the belt went but it’s fine. Ran down for another 15 miles back.
Got shot milage, 6.5 galling for 51 miles of driving. But it was nice to have him say my car is faster and smoother which is true. He was back on the Liberties but only dropped 2 bars for that ride and he’s got a RR RC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool face photo! 51 miles! Maybe the Cinders is more fun and interesting than I perceived it to be.

·
Registered
198 Posts
First let me say I really appreciate the Arizona guys for posting up so many cool photos and giving me so many ideas.

I'm still trying to figure out what Sycamore Creek is all about. I tried again 3 or 4 weeks ago after going to the top of 4 Peaks. I crossed the freeway and drove the Sycamore Creek main road all the way down to the creek. 100 people were camping down there, but I was very confused on what to do next. I had no idea where Widowmaker was, no idea where anything fun was. The campers were just laying around and eating and talking. I mean is this was NOT a group of rock crawlers or racers. They were just hanging out. So I ended up just crossing the freeway again and going home.

Anyways today I was all excited about hitting Cottonwood/Sedona after loading up tracks on my Garmin and studying as much as I could. But I hit a 2mph traffic jam in Anthem, and after confirming on my phone that it was going to be the same for many miles, I turned around and hit the Carefree Highway. I decided to take the 74 and the 60 to Wickenburg and hit Box Canyon for the 2nd time. But another setback was waiting for me when I got to the Hassyampa River on Rincon Road. A group of men were finishing up on COMPLETE BLOCKAGE of the river with steel posts and wire. One of them came up to my window and said it's private property. Another said "Keep driving down the public road". So I did, and a half mile down the road I found a large pullout area that had a previous camp fire.

What they didn't know was that I really didn't want to get too wet in the river. My goal was to explore how to do the Wickenbug-to-Yarnell route. So Rincon Road went up a mountain and transitioned into another road which ended up being the same one I rose up to (from the canyon) on my first trip. I ran into a rancher who told me all the turns I needed to make to find the back road to Yarnell, and then I did exactly what he said. This was an exploratory run so I didn't even get close to Yarnell, but I learned so much today, and have a gameplan for next time. I'm really, REALLY getting to LIKE this extensive area, and today was a complete success even though I had unexpected setbacks. Now if only I could do this kind of thing in my IT CAREER, and increase my salary 20 to 40%!! I'm working on that.

I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't think I'd have some photos to post by Tuesday after the Memorial Day weekend.

Oh, BTW I already know 3 back ways into the river, one discovered today, if I want to enjoy Box Canyon as thousands of people have done in the past. The fences will NOT stop me.

641 - 660 of 674 Posts