2020 Mav Sport xrc
38 Posts
Hi EODAZ, would you tell me where you access this Four Peaks trail ride and
is it the same trail (609) that Desert Tarantula is referring to? Thanks DH

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
Like extreamec said 609 is on the other side of Roosevelt lake but yiu can go up and over four peaks and then get to the 609 via the 71

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oh Mega you don't suck you just made a bad choice. Admitting is the first step to recovery. Ha ha.
I just want to say that all of you 4 Peaks/Young guys are not just excellent riders, but amazing photographers. Thanks for taking the time to take these photos during a 152 mile run!

·
Registered
198 Posts
So yesterday I was deciding at the last minute where to go, and I ended up doing something similar to my personality......random/scattered thoughts, yet full of energy. I decided to check out 3 different locations, gather information for future trips, enjoy the outdoors, and take lots of photos (wayyyyy more than are shown here).

In this post I'll display some photos of my first destination, which was Hovatter Road/Harquahala Road, basically in the Salome area. I had never been there, but for some reason the Hovatter exit on the I10 always had some kind of mysterious or intriguing quality to me.

The other goal here was to explore the Hillbilly trail that goes through the mountains south of Salome. Basically I did it haphazardly, trying to find it with a random small rocky trail that came off of Harquahala Road. After many "whereTF am I" minutes, I finally found it as confirmed on my Garmin Montana, and later found a much easier/quicker way to access the Hillbilly next time. But honestly, I was in the wrong place for this trail, as both the start point and end point are on the other side of the mountain range over on Highway 60. Another day I will do the Hillbilly all the way, properly.

Total miles on the Maverick for this trip was 75. That's 21 for Salome and the rest for Kofa (my next post).

20200412_113909.jpg
20200412_123358.jpg
20200412_123448.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
On the next leg of yesterday's trip, I went to the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge. What intrigued me before going the was the sheer beauty of the mountains. I did some study and loaded some tracks on my Garmin Montana. Yesterday was only my beginning. There is so much more to cover, plus I bought a Funtreks book and gpx card that has some complex Kofa trails I still need to study.

First stop was Palm Canyon Road off of Hwy 95 south of Quartzsite. This is basically a tourist stop, not an offroading spot. But I'm seeing a leg on the map tonight called Kofa Queen Canyon Road that needs to be explored. At the end of the Palm Canyon Road, there's a parking lot and hiking trail to go into the middle divide in the huge mountain and see the palm trees.

20200412_141924.jpg

20200412_145034.jpg

Next stop was driving further south on the 95 to King Road, parking just off the 95, and proceeding 6 miles on King Road to Castle Dome Mountain Trail, which has as sign post on King Road.

The thing about Kofa is there are hardly any side trails. The desert is more pristine. If you want more variety, a quick ride back to Quartzsite will solve that problem.

This trail was fun and the views were really nice. The track was right on the money on my Garmin. Here is one photo along the way.

20200412_162100_HDR.jpg

Because of time constraints, I decided to stop at McPherson Pass, and 2 photos from that waypoint are shown below. But there is so much further to go on this trail, which eventually turns into the Big Eye Mine Trail. I need to start this one much earlier in the day.

20200412_163154.jpg
20200412_163545.jpg

When I got back to King Road, I decide to drive further east. Since Kofa doesn't have many side trails, I was looking for another sign post for future exploration. FINALLY I came to a 3-way junction. The left turn in that junction went straight north toward to the huge mountain range whose FRONT is the palm canyon mountain face shown above. Looking at the photo of my Maverick, you can see how deep I got, i.e. the left side of that range is the Palm Canyon face. I want to go back and turn north on that road and see where it goes.

20200412_171527.jpg

20200412_171901.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
ANY day in the sxs is better than a day at work - which is where i am now. guess i shouldn't complain, especially with everything currently going on. phoeniux - as usual, excellent write up and great pics. keep them coming.

·
Registered
198 Posts
ANY day in the sxs is better than a day at work - which is where i am now. guess i shouldn't complain, especially with everything currently going on. phoeniux - as usual, excellent write up and great pics. keep them coming.
Thanks for all your support Texasrider. Yes I'm still working too, and I'm happy that my company is holding it together. But when I drive through Quartzsite and see all the people living the simple life in all kinds of trailer variations (both BLM and private lots), I think about converting to that lifestyle some day.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for all your support Texasrider. Yes I'm still working too, and I'm happy that my company is holding it together. But when I drive through Quartzsite and see all the people living the simple life in all kinds of trailer variations (both BLM and private lots), I think about converting to that lifestyle some day.
its funny you post this and BLR comes along to support your post. we had a toyhauler years ago, wife really wants another one. i do too, but the thought of writing that check causes me to hyperventilate. mabye next year i will get serious about it. we got hooked on a full time rv youtube channel. we agree that i don't think i could cash out and truly do full time, but i could easily do a couple month tour. and hats off to BLR for living the dream.

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 ds turbo r
113 Posts
Trails in northern Michigan, where “oops” means you only ripped 1 wheel off.

Yeah, it’s been a rough 6 weeks in quarantine for me.

quality sucks, didn't bring my go pro with me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dang Dude ! Nice looking ride you got. I like your weather is holding off to have a good ride was thinking you still had snowpack

Saw all the commotion your governor has created in your state even-one pissed off in the capital area

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 ds turbo r
113 Posts
Weathers been good for the last month now. Little cold last week, frosts been out of the ground for 2 weeks. Was a good year for riding so far, put on 400 miles over the winter. Clovers popping up on the trails now. So I’ll be limited to the north side of the property for fun rides. Just tears to much up with the big horns and boost.

Yeah, she’s making some waves for sure. Lot of protesters at the capital yesterday, ar15’s included. People flipping out over buying paint and flowers.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
Quick ride to saguro lake. Butcher Jones and the lake are closed, so I back tracked in. No one there passed one jeep on the way in did not see another person for hours. Went to all coves and again no one, it was like everyone on planet earth disappeared.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quick ride to saguro lake. Butcher Jones and the lake are closed, so I back tracked in. No one there passed one jeep on the way in did not see another person for hours. Went to all coves and again no one, it was like everyone on planet earth disappeared.
That's how it was on Sunday near Salome, then in the Kofa mountains. I encountered ZERO vehicles on the trails. I don't prefer zero.

601 - 620 of 673 Posts