Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering buying the base model. I know the x rs is only 1500 more, but hear me out.

We currently own an xp4 and a rzr s. my wife, daughter and I typically ride in xp4 and love it. My son drives the rzr s. I would be selling the s and getting the maverick. So my son would primarily drive it and my wife would too. I would play in it when I can but it wouldn't be my main ride. We mostly dune ride in ok.

My son loves the s as it is loaded up with elka shocks and such. I had an rzr4 before and the fox 2.0 were great. None of us like the black and yellow and prefer more basic. The gauges don't really matter, as we are typically haulin ass and not paying attention to speed. My son is very light and I have been reading the only big complaint is how stiff the 2.5's are. So I am thinking again, the 2.0's would be fine. The bead locks are not a big deal to us either.

I work in the boat business and some of our dealers are can am dealers. I have a dealer that has a base model right now that I can get a "deal" on. No prep or freight, no sales tax (out of state). He won't get ny more till march and we have a trip planned over spring break . I don't want to miss this op.

Given this info, am I missing anything? Should I wait and get an x rs later? I am leaning toward jumping on this. I don't think my son and wife will be disappointed going from rzr s. I will have so much fun with my turn that I think the base would be fine.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree. However, remember all shocks will soften up with use. But a deal is a deal

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If its only the shocks you question and the deals good enough, go for it. I gaurantee you there will be some takeoff xrs shocks for sale on ebay if you want them.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Probably not that hard if you want them. Like my buddy always tells me, its all a matter of money.

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
Dont get the base model. The shocks along are worth the difference on the XRS. The 2.5 are a top of the line Fox shocks that has 3 different setting to adjust so you can set the car according to your style of riding. This is important cause you can't do it on the base model. You will want the 2.5 shocks in the dunes cause the car does bottom out and this is easy to remove with the XRS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sounds like USAguy likes his XRS and makes good points. but do you know of someone with a base model who bottomed out a lot, and you think it was shock limitation?

would also like to hear from someone who bought the base model. the shocks have some adjustment, just not as many options. hopefully someone does a compare of the two before those of us in the market need to make a decision :) I am starting to think I could be plenty happy with the base model, especially if dealers were making better deals on them by EOY. we'll see. also tempted to see the new wildcat x, cuz I'm drawn to the lower ride height and like the idea of it fitting in my garage while still sitting on the trailer. If anyone knows of a low boy trailer that would let a mav fit, send me a note. take care.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
i have a xrs on order but i have a set of canam beadlocks that if for some reason i ended up with the base model they would go on there..

·
Registered
2019 max R turbo
846 Posts
sounds like USAguy likes his XRS and makes good points. but do you know of someone with a base model who bottomed out a lot, and you think it was shock limitation?

would also like to hear from someone who bought the base model. the shocks have some adjustment, just not as many options. hopefully someone does a compare of the two before those of us in the market need to make a decision :) I am starting to think I could be plenty happy with the base model, especially if dealers were making better deals on them by EOY. we'll see. also tempted to see the new wildcat x, cuz I'm drawn to the lower ride height and like the idea of it fitting in my garage while still sitting on the trailer. If anyone knows of a low boy trailer that would let a mav fit, send me a note. take care.
I didn't see any base models in Glamis but I talk to 2 XRS owners and they bottomed out in the dunes. If the XRS bottoms out then the base definitely will. When I bottomed out I made a quick adjustment to my low speed and the problem was solved. The only point I am trying to make it depends on how you drive in the dunes (aggressive) and if you have modified your SxS in the past to meet your needs then you will want to save yourself some money in the long run and get the XRS. I got the base commander cause I knew I was going to modified the suspension and cage to meet my needs and the X was over priced with shocks and other parts I was going to throw away. If it is going to a family member that will not care or will drive it aggressively get the base.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the feedback from all. Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on the base model Maverick. I put our 09 RZR S for sale this week and someone is coming to pick it up today. So that made my wife happy. She would not have been cool with 3 side by sides in the garage. If all goes well, I will pick it up tomorrow afternoon and get home late tomorrow night. My plan is to go ride on Saturday if it's not too cold. This will be my last weekend to ride until our dune trip in March, so I am anxious to see what it does. It will only be trail riding though.

I went and looked at a base model side by side to a X RS yesterday with my son. We both prefer the looks of the base. The gauges, I actually prefer the simplicity of the base. I do like beadlocks, but not that color. I would likely have replaced those anyhow. So the only reason to not go base for me was the shocks. I still think the 2.0's will be fine for now. It will mostly be my son, who is very light, and my wife drving this Maverick. I will play on it when I can, but it won't be very often. I will cruise in the XP4. I figure I usually put so much crap on these rides anyhow, that if the shocks really do become an issue, I can always upgrade later.

I'll let you guys know my first impression after this weekend if all goes well.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Somehow I keep thinking your riding situation may change after your ride. Your wife & son will be driving the XP4 alot more and you may get more seat time in the Maverick than you think.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I appreciate the feedback from all. Looks like I am going to pull the trigger on the base model Maverick. I put our 09 RZR S for sale this week and someone is coming to pick it up today. So that made my wife happy. She would not have been cool with 3 side by sides in the garage. If all goes well, I will pick it up tomorrow afternoon and get home late tomorrow night. My plan is to go ride on Saturday if it's not too cold. This will be my last weekend to ride until our dune trip in March, so I am anxious to see what it does. It will only be trail riding though.

I went and looked at a base model side by side to a X RS yesterday with my son. We both prefer the looks of the base. The gauges, I actually prefer the simplicity of the base. I do like beadlocks, but not that color. I would likely have replaced those anyhow. So the only reason to not go base for me was the shocks. I still think the 2.0's will be fine for now. It will mostly be my son, who is very light, and my wife drving this Maverick. I will play on it when I can, but it won't be very often. I will cruise in the XP4. I figure I usually put so much crap on these rides anyhow, that if the shocks really do become an issue, I can always upgrade later.

I'll let you guys know my first impression after this weekend if all goes well.
FWIW... Our XRS will be losing its Shocks, bead locks, Seats etc...since it will be turned into a BITD/SCORE race car..so those things will be available pretty shortly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somehow I keep thinking your riding situation may change after your ride. Your wife & son will be driving the XP4 alot more and you may get more seat time in the Maverick than you think.
You may well be right. I love that XP 4 in the dunes though. I am sure I wil spend more time in the Can Am than I plan on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW... Our XRS will be losing its Shocks, bead locks, Seats etc...since it will be turned into a BITD/SCORE race car..so those things will be available pretty shortly.
In all seriousness, when you go to sell the shocks, let me know. I wilil probably buy them off of you since that was the only thing really making me question my decision.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey Ignore Amos I am looking at getting a maverick here in a month or so. And the only reason for me getting an XRS is for the shocks and maybe the bead locks. So if you are looking to sell (or get rid of :big smile: ) them can you PM me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm just putting it out there ... guess I need to get a post up of the items that will be for sale and how much (and how soon). Maybe send me a PM here to let me know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I guess it's time we add a market place on here for used parts :)

I'm just putting it out there ... guess I need to get a post up of the items that will be for sale and how much (and how soon). Maybe send me a PM here to let me know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
806 Posts

I am 6' 6" and 275 lb. I bought the base model but with several aftermarket items. I also don't ride in the dunes, but, I have never bottomed mine out. If you don't care about the extra's that the X comes with and you can get the base model for a "deal" then do it.Your son will love you. By the way, don't worry bout that wildcat X.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts