Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Unfortunately the starter gears and flywheel are bathed in oil and that oil is common to the rest of the engine. Now whatever metal has been created from broken/compromised gears has circulated throughout the whole engine. That means all the bearings, cylinder walls, piston skirts, etc, etc have been subjected to the same metal you found in your filter.

If that is the case the only way to repair the engine correctly is a complete tear-down to clean, inspect and repair or replace any damaged components.

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
update

First dealership i took it to Today told me, they they have not seen Or heard anything like it before On an x3. And that it would take 3-4 weeks to take a look at it. So I left there.

second dealership(much bigger dealer and has at least 6 techs in service) I took it to was very helpful and jumped on it when I arrived onsite.

service manager and writer both came out and said they hadn’t seen anything or heard anything like the noise on any other x3.

so we unloaded the x3 and took it to a bay where a “their can am brp tech” was andhe narrowed it down to the starter/clutch/sprague or combination of all as the that is where the rattle is concentrated right under the oil filter and the rattle resonates through the starter.

also the starter seems to spin backwords when the unit is turned off.
Either way, sounds expensive! Be glad you have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If this dealership does good can I post their info on here as a good dealer?

don’t know forum rules when it comes to this.

they ordered 12 or so parts today and scheduled me to bring the car back on the 7th and try to see if they can knock it out in one day. ( if there is not excessive metal through out motor).

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
If this dealership does good can I post their info on here as a good dealer?

don’t know forum rules when it comes to this.

they ordered 12 or so parts today and scheduled me to bring the car back on the 7th and try to see if they can knock it out in one day. ( if there is not excessive metal through out motor).
I would. Sounds like a good one already.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update #2

Starter replaced, starter sprague unit replaced, double gear replaced along with gaskets oil and filter.

sounds so quiet now.

very pleased with the dealer at this point. From a service point of view everything couldn’t have gone any better.

only weird thing was they didn’t let me pay my deductible and said they would call me Tuesday. So as of right now zero out of pocket. Service manager told me my warranty company said yes to the repair and all costs associated

i arrived and dropped car at 9:15 am and picked up the car at 4:30 pm.

the dealership is freedom powersports in Weatherford Texas.

freedompowersportsweatherford.com

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, im assuming no warranty. So pull the motor and take it to a real shop who has done an X3 motor before. DO NOT TRUST A DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weller racing rebuilt mine when i broke a piston ring land. I believe it was $2600 for CP pistons, gasket set and labor all done in a few days.
Wow!! Weller Racing just went to the top of my list. I bet Ride Now would have charged $8000 for that, I mean seriously. Maybe I should go to Weller for my next upgrade project and start a relationship with them!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update 3#

still smooth an quiet so I think all is well again.

the dealership called and said the warranty company had paid the 2200.00 and they wanted the remaining 50.00 dollar deductible.

so glad I bought the 1400.00 dollar extended warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Update 3#

still smooth an quiet so I think all is well again.

the dealership called and said the warranty company had paid the 2200.00 and they wanted the remaining 50.00 dollar deductible.

so glad I bought the 1400.00 dollar extended warranty.
Thanks for the update. How long does the extended warranty last?

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
I know you have it resolved, and sorry I am late to the party, but there is an oil pressure test port on the engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2020 x3 MXR turbo, and Ive always thought mine was a little noisy around the same area. Runs great, cranks right up. Im trying to figure out how to upload the vid now. Were there any other symptoms other than noise?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts