Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,147 Posts
Possibly, what did the filter look like? Did you drain the oil? Chunks of metal in the oil? It's a 20, still on warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Yeah I’d b worried. Better have your ducks in a row with receipts showing maintenance records depending on how new the buggy is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No tune

225 miles

23 hours

this was one hour after oil change.

no bottom noise in the crank.

no noise in cvt.

All super smooth sounding with stethoscope hearing things.

except by oil filter and cooler.

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
Well, im assuming no warranty. So pull the motor and take it to a real shop who has done an X3 motor before. DO NOT TRUST A DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weller racing rebuilt mine when i broke a piston ring land. I believe it was $2600 for CP pistons, gasket set and labor all done in a few days.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Full aftermarket warranty from National somebody or rather for another 3 years.

I’m thinking something oil pump related.

just went by my mechanic buddies shop and he confirms what I believe/heard, that there is no crank noise, no valve train or head noise, and no cvt noise.

mall the noise is coming from the area around the oil filter housing and oil cooler.
Possibly oil pump area.

going to take it to the stealership in the am to see if they have ever seen or heard of it and see what they think.

you think it is worth changing the oil and filter out again and see if there is any change?

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
no clue on oil pressure port.

you sure its not exhaust rattle or a socket stuck on top of something? Use a wooden handle something to push of the exhaust , motor mounts, intake, turbo ..... see it it stops.

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
Easy to get to that nipple but it has a turbo oil lie on it too you would be starving the turbo if disconnected. Pull center cover and look to right under turbo intake

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the noise/rattle is concentrated here.

dissepates in all direction away from circled area.

going to get a new filter and change oil again.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
There is a known problem with the oil filter cap crushing the filters because the three ribs are too tall.
That is probably not related, but FYI.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update

First dealership i took it to Today told me, they they have not seen Or heard anything like it before On an x3. And that it would take 3-4 weeks to take a look at it. So I left there.

second dealership(much bigger dealer and has at least 6 techs in service) I took it to was very helpful and jumped on it when I arrived onsite.

service manager and writer both came out and said they hadn’t seen anything or heard anything like the noise on any other x3.

so we unloaded the x3 and took it to a bay where a “their can am brp tech” was andhe narrowed it down to the starter/clutch/sprague or combination of all as the that is where the rattle is concentrated right under the oil filter and the rattle resonates through the starter.

also the starter seems to spin backwords when the unit is turned off.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts