Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Shock tower brace/Gusset kit etc questions

16K views 117 replies 28 participants last post by  McCarthy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide if the shock tower bracing and gusset kits are necessary or not, so I searched and read through a bunch of threads where the general consensus is yes it is, but nobody really explains why. I get it, it strengthens weak areas.

But why? Does the frame crack eventually if not, does shit stop lining up from being tweaked? What exactly happens? Also, my machine has a Can Am front bumper, winch bulkhead, and obviously winch, does this help beef up the front end, or does this make the problem worse?

Just want more info before I spend the money on the stuff.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Basically you are turning single shear points into double shear points. A winch bulkhead will help yes.

I would for sure at least put a Shock tower brace in for now. There's no triangulation from the factory. All the force generated through the shocks gets loaded onto a single shear point in the bolts.

And yes things can start to crack and oval out holes.

#3 ·
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide if the shock tower bracing and gusset kits are necessary or not, so I searched and read through a bunch of threads where the general consensus is yes it is, but nobody really explains why. I get it, it strengthens weak areas.

But why? Does the frame crack eventually if not, does shit stop lining up from being tweaked? What exactly happens? Also, my machine has a Can Am front bumper, winch bulkhead, and obviously winch, does this help beef up the front end, or does this make the problem worse?

Just want more info before I spend the money on the stuff.

Thanks!
Oh I’m so ready for the replies to this thread! Prepare to worry that if you look at your machine the wrong way it’s going to bend and break.

I’m definitely not against them, I just don’t think they need installed the moment you get your machine for the average rider. If you’re the slow scenic type you may not even need them but if you’re going for big air every chance you get, they’re probably a necessity.

#5 ·
How you drive makes a whole heck of a difference.

There's the tourist version and the baja racer version of driving and many other catagories in between.

Double shear when in doubt.....nothing like a wallered out whor# ...ugh I mean hole 😜
X2, it does help. Without a gusset kit, the holes will waller or oval out. There needs to be double shear mounting for the shocks. If not, you run the risk of your front end collapsing. Do you have to do either? No. It's like the old Fram commercial, you can pay now or you can pay later.

#6 ·
With this suspension system the shocks are the bottoming stops so the upper and lower mounts take the full force of impacts. The upper shock mount is too light of material and the bolt isn't mounted on both ends (double-shear). Aggressive driving or even a few less aggressive "mistakes" can break or bend the upper mounts. There are a few examples of the upper mounts breaking and the car sitting on the ground with the shocks protruding through the hood opening. Just looking at the front end it is very clear some extra tubes tying the front together vertically are good insurance. I used S3 they look solid and are one-piece design.

Dwayne

#12 ·
The shock tower brace I would 100% due for the reason Mega has stated. Gusset kit you do not have to go crazy with if you do not want to. I would recommend at a minimum you get a kit like what HMF sells to keep the bolt holes from wallowing out. I used the HMF kit on my last X3 and the bolt hole were still good at 8,000 miles.

One area that should be address is the rear frame where the sway bar mounts. Over time that area will develop cracks. The ZRP trailing arm brace should help prevent this from happening.

Could you get away with not doing a gusset kit? You could, but it is borrowed time depending no how long you plan on keeping your car. Gusset kit is cheap insurance for the front end.

Reactions: Hampton and Tmesic
#13 ·
I just don't get the thought process of spending 25-35K for a SxS that has known weak points in the front end , and not spending an additional $300-$800 to strengthen it to prevent future failures.

When I bought my 19' XRC, I had done my research on this great Site about gusset kits, shock tower brace, and addressing the front, lower a-arms. Ordered all the needed parts and while they were on the way, took the car out for its' maiden break-in run, driving semi-easy, as it was BRAND new.

Slightly bottomed the car ONCE (before I did the Fox tune) and back at camp noticed this ONE bottom out had caused enough flex in the front end to crack both upper ears of the fan shroud/mount.

Enough proof for me that this SxS needs reinforcement in the front end, no matter how hard you drive.

FWIW. C-Ya!!

#14 ·
I really hate it when people post real world experiences and facts to prove their point.

Around here we prefer guessing, speculation and base it on little to NO real world experiences!

We prefer to pretend everything is all rainbows and unicorns...

So stop ruining it with real world experiences!

😁

Tim

#25 ·
I installed a TMW bulkhead and tower on my brand new 21 car a couple months ago with 0.2hrs on it. Here's what that looks like straight from the factory

Those long bolts attach the front lower a-arms. They float thru the thin bulkhead metal sheet which are only mounted to the bulkhead by a bracket sandwiched behind it and those 2 grade 8s, both can be seen in the pix. So those 2 grade 8s, 13mm if I recall, are really the only thing holding the front lower a-arms onto the car, an area that takes a lot of initial impact and abuse

Anyway, heed the advice and add it to your list and install a shock tower gusset too while its already torn down

Bicycle part Gas Trunk Electrical wiring Tripod

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Bicycle part

#27 ·
So If I ordered the parts today, by the time they arrive to Canada (usually 3+ weeks) and another week or so to have them installed, i'll probably have 800-1000 miles on the machine, from what it appears, i'll already have some issues with wallowed out or damaged holes- is this an issue in installing the bracing?

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would like to apply for the position of proctor...

I would like to clarify, proctor not proctologist...

A few guys around here might get that confused!

I am a little surpised so many new and newer guys seem to think that years of experience in things like the shock tower brace doesn't carry any weight.

This theme I keep seeing of "I don't drive hard" means they think they don't need proper seat belts or proper seat mounting and shock tower reinforcements etc.

Shock tower gusset and bulkhead etc all are a weak spot, quite clearly some only want to hear what they want and any real world experiences do not seem to matter with some of the new people.

Tim

Reactions: sand shark
#39 ·
This seems like some relatively cheap insurance to fix the known potential issues from the front end. I’ve been doing some research and piling up parts while I wait for my X3. I’m hoping you guys can help me with a couple questions.

I have the S3 shock tower brace and my winch bumper includes the upper rear double shear bracket and the lower rear that slips over the frame. I’m not sure what benefits the lower rear gives as it seems to be a floating gusset?

is there a bulkhead I can use compatible with the S3 tower brace that doesn’t require diff removal? I’m thinking about warranty issues or anything the dealer could push back on with a new machine if I get diff or smart shox codes.

when refilling with coolant is there any burping or anything typically required or since it is at the top of the system or does the air come out easily? I’ve run Engine Ice in my last few machines. Do the Can-Ams have cooling issues other than self inflicted packing the radiator with mud etc? Would this be a good time to switch over while I’m at it?

kind of thinking one major tear down to get everything where I want it and not void the warranty while the car is new before beating on it.

#43 ·
This seems like some relatively cheap insurance to fix the known potential issues from the front end. I’ve been doing some research and piling up parts while I wait for my X3. I’m hoping you guys can help me with a couple questions.

I have the S3 shock tower brace and my winch bumper includes the upper rear double shear bracket and the lower rear that slips over the frame. I’m not sure what benefits the lower rear gives as it seems to be a floating gusset?

is there a bulkhead I can use compatible with the S3 tower brace that doesn’t require diff removal? I’m thinking about warranty issues or anything the dealer could push back on with a new machine if I get diff or smart shox codes.

when refilling with coolant is there any burping or anything typically required or since it is at the top of the system or does the air come out easily? I’ve run Engine Ice in my last few machines. Do the Can-Ams have cooling issues other than self inflicted packing the radiator with mud etc? Would this be a good time to switch over while I’m at it?

kind of thinking one major tear down to get everything where I want it and not void the warranty while the car is new before beating on it.
Couple of things, a bulkhead setup brings a lot of strength to the front end. If you're looking for something to do the job, and keep the front end holes from wallowing / ovaling out, and you don't have to remove or loosen the diff, look at kits from UTV Inc. or HMF. I run the UTV Inc. ones in both cars, no issues.

I would recommend staying with antifreeze. Nothing wrong with Engine Ice, I run it in my quads and dirt bikes. Smaller motors. You can running it in a SXS, but the issue is if you need it (sprung a leak from a hose splitting) it's not always available as a lot of places don't carry it. But it is great stuff!

There is a bleed screw for burping the system. If you're car is setup with full coolant levels, and a clean radiator, you shouldn't have heat issues. But to give peace of mind, you can always install a fan override switch, and run with it on. Works for me.

#54 ·
I was going to quote your original reply but it's all gone now. I have NEVER bought any toy that I wasn't planning to add mods to but this IS the first one that almost seems like it is mandatory to do before driving it on anything but a smooth road. Since I plan on driving it hard need to plan on protecting it from the start. The jump in price from a x DS rr to the x RS rr ss was pretty big already and the list of must haves keeps getting more expensive too.

22 Ford Raptor might be cheaper in the long run.

#50 ·
Simple answer: If you drive like a bitch, you won't need it. If you love to run like a trophy truck and do big whoops and jumps, it is an absolute necessity! I've said it many times on other threads: don't be me and have to replace your entire frame, bulkhead, and front a-arms at under 300 miles because you didn't do the gusset kit and brace. So, do you want to spend a few hundred dollars and a few hours of your time to be safe, or do you want to spend $10,000 on a frame swap and replacement parts??

Just look up my post on this. I too thought I was safe with my RC model which had the beefed-up bumper/bulkhead and winch. Nope. Again, don't be me. Learn from my mistake, not your own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.