Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Maverick X3 X RS Turbo RR with Smart-Shox
86 Posts
This is why I turned my Super Duty into basically a mega-Raptor. Diesel tow truck with an $8500 Carli pintop. Best of both worlds and then some

I did that already... bought a 2019 Raptor thinking it would replace my F150, and side by side, except it wasn't particularly good at being a truck (suspension is too soft to haul a big trailer) and wasn't very good at being a side by side (way too big and wide...)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the S3 shock tower brace and my winch bumper includes the upper rear double shear bracket and the lower rear that slips over the frame. I’m not sure what benefits the lower rear gives as it seems to be a floating gusset?

Not sure on this one. Got a pic?

Is there a bulkhead I can use compatible with the S3 tower brace that doesn’t require diff removal? I’m thinking about warranty issues or anything the dealer could push back on with a new machine if I get diff or smart shox codes.

Use a CT Raceworx bombproof gusset kit and you will not need to remove the diff. I will have one in stock for you.

When refilling with coolant is there any burping or anything typically required or since it is at the top of the system or does the air come out easily? I’ve run Engine Ice in my last few machines. Do the Can-Ams have cooling issues other than self inflicted packing the radiator with mud etc? Would this be a good time to switch over while I’m at it?

No need to open the coolant for the install.
Please correct me if I am wrong but it look like the radiator hoses need to be disconnected for the S3 shock tower brace installation.

Here’s a picture of the one that looks to be floating.
Sleeve Finger Automotive exterior Font Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
551 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong but it look like the radiator hoses need to be disconnected for the S3 shock tower brace installation.

Here’s a picture of the one that looks to be floating.
View attachment 273047
That floater is for your rear lower a arm double shear plate.
The tower brace is open at the top and you center the hose while sliding it in place. No hose disconnect.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That floater is for your rear lower a arm double shear plate.
The tower brace is open at the top and you center the hose while sliding it in place. No hose disconnect.
what does the floater do really if it’s just floating? Seems like it should be welded.
Here’s a picture of the S3 shock tower brace and it is solid at the top. Hopefully you can see it okay with the plastic wrap still on
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
551 Posts
what does the floater do really if it’s just floating? Seems like it should be welded.
Here’s a picture of the S3 shock tower brace and it is solid at the top. Hopefully you can see it okay with the plastic wrap still on View attachment 273050
The floater adds a second shear point for the bolt and doesn't need welded. I have the CT gusset and shock brace so not the same as the S3. That does look like you have to remove the hose unless the hose goes around it and not threw it.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
678 Posts
The TMW lower rear bracket is two pieces and captures the lower center tube of the frame supporting the the lower rear bolts. The S3 bracket appears to lack the second part that would actually capture the frame. I'm not sure how the S3 lower rear is considered double sheer since it would still allow upward bending moment on the lower rear control arm bolt.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

·
Registered
111 Posts
The TMW lower rear bracket is two pieces and captures the lower center tube of the frame supporting the the lower rear bolts. The S3 bracket appears to lack the second part that would actually capture the frame. I'm not sure how the S3 lower rear is considered double sheer since it would still allow upward bending moment on the lower rear control arm bolt.

View attachment 273051
This makes much more sense to me. Thank you for understanding what I was getting at.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
678 Posts
This is why I turned my Super Duty into basically a mega-Raptor. Diesel tow truck with an $8500 Carli pintop. Best of both worlds and then some
I don't think pintops qualify as "mega" anything. Better than stock? Sure. Replacement for triple bypasses? LOL.

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Maverick X3 X RS Turbo RR with Smart-Shox
86 Posts
Ya apples to oranges really, lol, but fits what I wanted. Solid axles and I'm not hardcore tearing up trails either, that's what the X3 is for. Original plan was a Raptor but wanted better towability so this was my compromise and very happy with it!

I don't think pintops qualify as "mega" anything. Better than stock? Sure. Replacement for triple bypasses? LOL.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
678 Posts
Ya apples to oranges really, lol, but fits what I wanted. Solid axles and I'm not hardcore tearing up trails either, that's what the X3 is for. Original plan was a Raptor but wanted better towability so this was my compromise and very happy with it!
True. Tuned King pintops are pretty nice though. I did some development stuff with Thuren a while back and have been running Kings since.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,371 Posts
Here’s a picture of the S3 shock tower brace and it is solid at the top. Hopefully you can see it okay with the plastic wrap still on View attachment 273050
Hoses go around the outside of the S3 tower brace.

Make sure to protect your hoses like I did to keep them from wearing on the brace.

And apparently your shock reservoir can rub on the rad hose too lol.

Another tip is if your rad hoses are kind of twisted and kinked from going around the brace, rotate the hose a bit on the radiator neck to get them round again.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Motor vehicle
Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Motor vehicle

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hoses go around the outside of the S3 tower brace.

Make sure to protect your hoses like I did to keep them from wearing on the brace.

And apparently your shock reservoir can rub on the rad hose too lol.

Another tip is if your rad hoses are kind of twisted and kinked from going around the brace, rotate the hose a bit on the radiator neck to get them round again.

View attachment 273065 View attachment 273066
Thanks, really appreciate the pictures.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm a little confused, when you guys are talking about the shock tower brace do you mean something like the billet pieces from ZRP or CT?
So if I have a ZRP and order the ct bombproof kit do I need anything else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the S3 shock tower brace and my winch bumper includes the upper rear double shear bracket and the lower rear that slips over the frame. I’m not sure what benefits the lower rear gives as it seems to be a floating gusset?

Not sure on this one. Got a pic?

Is there a bulkhead I can use compatible with the S3 tower brace that doesn’t require diff removal? I’m thinking about warranty issues or anything the dealer could push back on with a new machine if I get diff or smart shox codes.

Use a CT Raceworx bombproof gusset kit and you will not need to remove the diff. I will have one in stock for you.

When refilling with coolant is there any burping or anything typically required or since it is at the top of the system or does the air come out easily? I’ve run Engine Ice in my last few machines. Do the Can-Ams have cooling issues other than self inflicted packing the radiator with mud etc? Would this be a good time to switch over while I’m at it?

No need to open the coolant for the install.
Sounds great, thanks for sending the link. I’m ready to order, is there a discount code available for the club forum?

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
I'm a little confused, when you guys are talking about the shock tower brace do you mean something like the billet pieces from ZRP or CT?
So if I have a ZRP and order the ct bombproof kit do I need anything else?
2 different things. Shock brace and gusset kit. Pretty sure you're aware of that, not sure what you're asking? Did you order a ZRP shock brace, and the CT Raceworx bombproof bulkhead gusset kit? Both good manufacturers.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts