Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide if the shock tower bracing and gusset kits are necessary or not, so I searched and read through a bunch of threads where the general consensus is yes it is, but nobody really explains why. I get it, it strengthens weak areas.

But why? Does the frame crack eventually if not, does shit stop lining up from being tweaked? What exactly happens? Also, my machine has a Can Am front bumper, winch bulkhead, and obviously winch, does this help beef up the front end, or does this make the problem worse?

Just want more info before I spend the money on the stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,321 Posts
Basically you are turning single shear points into double shear points. A winch bulkhead will help yes.

I would for sure at least put a Shock tower brace in for now. There's no triangulation from the factory. All the force generated through the shocks gets loaded onto a single shear point in the bolts.

And yes things can start to crack and oval out holes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide if the shock tower bracing and gusset kits are necessary or not, so I searched and read through a bunch of threads where the general consensus is yes it is, but nobody really explains why. I get it, it strengthens weak areas.

But why? Does the frame crack eventually if not, does shit stop lining up from being tweaked? What exactly happens? Also, my machine has a Can Am front bumper, winch bulkhead, and obviously winch, does this help beef up the front end, or does this make the problem worse?

Just want more info before I spend the money on the stuff.

Thanks!
Oh I’m so ready for the replies to this thread! Prepare to worry that if you look at your machine the wrong way it’s going to bend and break.

I’m definitely not against them, I just don’t think they need installed the moment you get your machine for the average rider. If you’re the slow scenic type you may not even need them but if you’re going for big air every chance you get, they’re probably a necessity.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
How you drive makes a whole heck of a difference.

There's the tourist version and the baja racer version of driving and many other catagories in between.

Double shear when in doubt.....nothing like a wallered out whor# ...ugh I mean hole 😜

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
How you drive makes a whole heck of a difference.

There's the tourist version and the baja racer version of driving and many other catagories in between.

Double shear when in doubt.....nothing like a wallered out whor# ...ugh I mean hole 😜
X2, it does help. Without a gusset kit, the holes will waller or oval out. There needs to be double shear mounting for the shocks. If not, you run the risk of your front end collapsing. Do you have to do either? No. It's like the old Fram commercial, you can pay now or you can pay later.

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
239 Posts
With this suspension system the shocks are the bottoming stops so the upper and lower mounts take the full force of impacts. The upper shock mount is too light of material and the bolt isn't mounted on both ends (double-shear). Aggressive driving or even a few less aggressive "mistakes" can break or bend the upper mounts. There are a few examples of the upper mounts breaking and the car sitting on the ground with the shocks protruding through the hood opening. Just looking at the front end it is very clear some extra tubes tying the front together vertically are good insurance. I used S3 they look solid and are one-piece design.

Dwayne

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,321 Posts
Oh I’m so ready for the replies to this thread! Prepare to worry that if you look at your machine the wrong way it’s going to bend and break.

I’m definitely not against them, I just don’t think they need installed the moment you get your machine for the average rider. If you’re the slow scenic type you may not even need them but if you’re going for big air every chance you get, they’re probably a necessity.
I do agree it gets wayyyyy overblown on here. They are weak but not THAT weak. But the shock tower does bug me. It's retarded Can Am doesn't have it triangulated from the factory. There is even leverage in the top mounts.

·
Premium Member
9,077 Posts
I love it!! Bunch of stupid know nothing comments. So you guys against it have you driven a car with the tower support? Once you do you will realize the rigidity it adds and the life of the frame it adds.

but I think you know it all’s should stay under that rock and not listen at all to the people who have been there and done that. I’ll stand back and watch you back pedal when shot goes wrong. Hey just look at out local know it all newb SS.

been there broke that.

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Car Bumper

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
The shock tower brace I would 100% due for the reason Mega has stated. Gusset kit you do not have to go crazy with if you do not want to. I would recommend at a minimum you get a kit like what HMF sells to keep the bolt holes from wallowing out. I used the HMF kit on my last X3 and the bolt hole were still good at 8,000 miles.

One area that should be address is the rear frame where the sway bar mounts. Over time that area will develop cracks. The ZRP trailing arm brace should help prevent this from happening.

Could you get away with not doing a gusset kit? You could, but it is borrowed time depending no how long you plan on keeping your car. Gusset kit is cheap insurance for the front end.

Reactions: Hampton and Tmesic

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just don't get the thought process of spending 25-35K for a SxS that has known weak points in the front end , and not spending an additional $300-$800 to strengthen it to prevent future failures.

When I bought my 19' XRC, I had done my research on this great Site about gusset kits, shock tower brace, and addressing the front, lower a-arms. Ordered all the needed parts and while they were on the way, took the car out for its' maiden break-in run, driving semi-easy, as it was BRAND new.

Slightly bottomed the car ONCE (before I did the Fox tune) and back at camp noticed this ONE bottom out had caused enough flex in the front end to crack both upper ears of the fan shroud/mount.

Enough proof for me that this SxS needs reinforcement in the front end, no matter how hard you drive.

FWIW. C-Ya!!

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
I just don't get the thought process of spending 25-35K for a SxS that has known weak points in the front end , and not spending an additional $300-$800 to strengthen it to prevent future failures.

When I bought my 19' XRC, I had done my research on this great Site about gusset kits, shock tower brace, and addressing the front, lower a-arms. Ordered all the needed parts and while they were on the way, took the car out for its' maiden break-in run, driving semi-easy, as it was BRAND new.

Slightly bottomed the car ONCE (before I did the Fox tune) and back at camp noticed this ONE bottom out had caused enough flex in the front end to crack both upper ears of the fan shroud/mount.

Enough proof for me that this SxS needs reinforcement in the front end, no matter how hard you drive.

FWIW. C-Ya!!
I really hate it when people post real world experiences and facts to prove their point.

Around here we prefer guessing, speculation and base it on little to NO real world experiences!

We prefer to pretend everything is all rainbows and unicorns...

So stop ruining it with real world experiences!

😁

Tim

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I first bought my Side by Side I did a ton of online and forum research. I agree with most of the responses above and is how hard you drive it. I also researched and watched a ton of Shock Therapy videos and one that stuck out was the Shock therapy and explains why the additional parts are necessary.

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
What's that old saying?

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"......

1 - 20 of 118 Posts