Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,031 Posts
All I can say is this thread got out of hand pretty fast !

If you read my post I did not bash Shock Therapy and I did not insult anyone in any way.

The simple fact is ST might have 10 thousand different springs available that are all top quality and won’t ever sag or break but if you are considering a spring replacement ONLY, like the OP first suggested in the post, going with a set that has unknown rates will handicap him if he decides later on to do valving for a complete upgrade, unless he chooses ST for the valving.

All shock tuners will need that information to make an informed decision on how to re-valve for the particular customer’s car and the terrain he rides in. I simply stated a fact and left my opinion out of it. The post was concise and truthful and gave a nod to the gentleman that helped me out with my car, nothing more. While no one debates the fact that tuning a suspension for a particular car involves multiple factors and requires some specialized knowledge, every tune requires some baseline information to be done properly. Known spring lengths and rates are just one factor.

Seems to me personally that this thread got off the rails quickly for no good reason other than “someone said something bad about a company or person I like so I have to defend them”. I didn’t and you don’t.

By all means keep bashing each other as you see fit but in the end, it’s not helping the OP and I mistakenly thought this forum was a great place for knowledge and experience to help those who might not have that in regards to their car. I’d hope I’m correct and not disappointed. Have a great day !
I don't think you were the cause of anything.

I don't think anyone thought you were bashing ST. I didn't...

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
I will do it full of gas. So you may very well have a good guess there. I think that would be around 80 pounds of fuel or so.

And it's 1500 dry so...
I've weighed mine before. Those estimated dry weights are garbage. Mine was 1950 without me in it with half tank of gas. If you weigh with full tank I'll guess 1850.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I've weighed mine before. Those estimated dry weights are garbage. Mine was 1950 without me in it with half tank of gas. If you weigh with full tank I'll guess 1850.
Yeah, I do not fully trust the on paper specs.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Well mine will be over 2000lbs with me in it. I guess it is time to hit the treadmill. LOL!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You brought back memories. This old GT2 hand me down car I used to run weighed 18 fiddy lol.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
10,347 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
what in the world happened in this thread....

anyway, i have ST springs only, they work well except in the stutter bumps imo. as you start going a bit faster, the springs are phenomenal, even with everything slow and soft for valving.

could i stand to adjust the shocks a bit better on my xds r, sure, but i dont ride stutter bumps often or long enough to actually do some testing and tuning to get them dialed. i also have everything set as slow as it goes and as soft as it goes. compression is soft, rebound is in i believe to slow them down.

maybe we can get some help with what to actually do with these shocks to make them better instead of arguing about who is better...

I should probably go about 5-10 clicks out from fully seated and try that in the stutters next time out. i dont usually get them packed up, they arent jarring either.

steve

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
599 Posts
what in the world happened in this thread....

anyway, i have ST springs only, they work well except in the stutter bumps imo. as you start going a bit faster, the springs are phenomenal, even with everything slow and soft for valving.

could i stand to adjust the shocks a bit better on my xds r, sure, but i dont ride stutter bumps often or long enough to actually do some testing and tuning to get them dialed. i also have everything set as slow as it goes and as soft as it goes. compression is soft, rebound is in i believe to slow them down.

maybe we can get some help with what to actually do with these shocks to make them better instead of arguing about who is better...

I should probably go about 5-10 clicks out from fully seated and try that in the stutters next time out. i dont usually get them packed up, they arent jarring either.

steve
The ST springs I have have more spring rate than stock. With stock valving I need less hi/lo compression dampening and more rebound dampening. A simple explanation is higher rate springs take more force to compress but extend or decompress with more force.

·
Registered
429 Posts
thanks cascade- and "more" being faster rebound, turning the screws out?

steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
thanks for the help!

steve

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a max ds r turbo. The shock therapy springs were one of the best improvements I’ve made. No longer bottom out and the machines sits so much higher now.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts