Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn’t buy something as simple as a spring with a proprietary design. Suspension isn’t THAT complicated.

Seems like they found a range where the spring rate matches the valving a little better and that’s about it. If you ever decide to upgrade from there, that spring may not be what you need. I’d look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
They have different part #'s that can be combined in different combinations. Way more than Eibach has.

If I took the time for all the R&D I wouldn't be posting a spread sheet of my findings either.
When I tell you it isn’t that complicated, I mean that it is simple enough that 30 springs are not required. Hopefully you’re talking about more than just the main spring.

You get a spring that’s within the ballpark you need and set preload and crossover for it. That’s it as far as springs go. If it has to be compressed too much, you order a stiffer spring. You do NOT shop around for a 582.634lb/in spring because your 550 is too soft. You go to the next size up.

I can tell you this about suspension trade secrets:

I’ll gladly pour all my info out there and no one will listen. I’ve done it. Hell, you can’t force them to listen.

Anyone with a scale, a tape measure, and some ingenuity can derive the spring rate. It is not that difficult.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sigh...

I’ll make this as concise as possible.

So the only thing that can do the job of holding the rig up is the spring.

If it’s heavier, you need to increase preload. Too much and you have to go up in spring rate. For the setups I do, more than one inch of preload in the main spring calls for a stiffer spring. Less than 3/16” and I go lighter.

Your springs get ride height. Multi rate springs work in tandem with compression and rebound, but all they do is set a given height at the end of the day. Valving just changes the rate at which you return to zero. Stiffer springs require less compression and more rebound damping. Bypass has to flow more for stiffer springs.

You cannot avoid these principles. This is not some arcane knowledge.

Springs get to ride height. Multi-rate springs alter quite a few things but at the end of the day, you can’t speak on behalf of the pros if you don’t speak their language. “Leave it to the pros” and “the pros do x so x is better” is direct evidence of a logical fallacy.

I don’t like kits and never have because kits are too generalized and target too generic of an audience. Same thing with new riders buying the exhaust with the coolest ad in the magazine and think they’re the shit; they don’t know and think they do, but we all know and just keep our mouth shut because it isn’t worth the time.

If you can’t spout off trigonometric values or give caster suggestions with nothing but tire size and available up travel off the top of your head, you probably aren’t qualified to legitimately argue a point in suspension.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You pretty much just argued and debated yourself like Dr. Fauchi.

Originally springs are simple and not complicated. No need for something proprietary.

Now say you don't like kits because they are generic. Well, Eibach kits are as generic as it gets pretty much.

And that is the whole point of ST having many more options.

Someone can have the same machine as me and it could weigh 500 pounds more and be set up for dunes. I don't even know if Eibach options would cover that.

This is not Corvettes here where every single car is going to be very close to the same weight. Identical model UTV's vary drastically from person to person.

You say you have all these years experience building chassis or whatever. But don't think you are taking into account different set ups for different terrain. Plus how drastically different 2 of the same model can be after the owner makes it the way they want it with accessories and mods.
You pay someone to make your decisions and people pay me to make theirs, yet here you are.

You made your point the first time. It was just wrong.

All this talk about weight and literally no other concrete data to figure it out? Seems like you should come run this joint over here for a while.

Tell you what, I’ve got a set of knuckles with a 16 degree KPI, center of hub located 5/16” above KPI center, and 2-3/32” from kpi center to face of hub. Customer wants 30” tires and does mostly high speed hard packed clay trails. What should be the scrub radius target and what offset rims do I need to get there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts