Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Shock Therapy IDK

40K views 194 replies 32 participants last post by  HPnMORE4J 
#1 ·
So i dont like starting off a post or review about a company bad. So let me say there customer service was good. Everyone seemed helpful and knowledgeable to a point that i delt with. I did decide to go with them for shocks and revalve cause i just move to Phoenix area and they were a local vendor. In retrospect im a little disappointed i made this decision. I should have made the drive to havasu. So what has me out off is that a big concern for me was spring rate. Shock therapy never gave me a real answer i guess. I asked if they have multiple spring rates they used or if they have a generic pre packed here is a stage 2 kit and if youre heavy a stage three kit. When i placed the order they told me they use thousands of spring rates. That made me scratch my head a little. After all the detailed questions i figured ok. They must use multiple spring rates. Pulled the trigger. Picked them up friday. Now they bring out my shocks. Disappointed by pride in work right off the bat. It may be petty but its the point of taking pride. I cleaned my shocks before i dropped them off. I could not clean behind the hub the the softer to stiffer spring sit on. So they didnt clean it either. Just ran the cross overs right into all the dirt and left it there. Next they told me they leave the high and low speed compression as well as rebound right in the middle. I need to figure out the adjustment. They then tell me i have the stage to springs. I thought they used multiple spring rates? I guess they dont. The guy couldnt answer when i asked him. Get them home. Bolt them on. Ride height in the front after a ride down the road and back. 21” and 22” in the back. Now i have to drop ride height way down. I thought this was suppose to be a company that claims they are fully set up to Your ridding style and just bolt on. Make a minor adjustment and go? Any feed back from guys that have had it done and if had similar or different experiences would be great. Again. Not bashing them. Just was shocked ( no pun intended) by the lack of pride in work.

See less See more
#3 ·
Stage has nothing to do with spring rates. ST will ask how your car is setup with add-ons/weight and determine the best spring rate for your ride. They do not disclose exact spring rates as that is considered their IP (intellectual property) based on their hours of testing. I see no issue with that.

Yes, adjusters are for YOU to adjust. They are for fine tuning, not meant to be setup on a bench

Knowing what they were going to be doing to my shocks I sent them in spotless.

#4 ·
As mentioned, any shock tuner sets you up, gets you in the ballpark where they expect the shocks will work. They don't know how fast you drive, what terrain you drive, how loaded down your car is. It's up to you to fine tune your set up. Everybody does. You'll need to tweak your F / R settings for compression and rebound. It's not hard, just a little time consuming.

They're also not a cleaning service. That's on you. Like a mechanic working on an engine, he isn't going to clean it to do the work on it.

#5 ·
How do they ride? I’m envious of the guys that are close enough to just swing by Shock Therapy. With you being so close what drove your decision not to drop the whole car off? If ST installs your shocks as part of springs and valving then they set up ride height and can better tailor the work to your car.

#7 ·
I didnt feel a need to take my whole car over and load up and drag it all out and pay them extra money to take them off. I asked them about it but they said its the same as just dropping shocks off other then i would pay an extra $250. It was already on the lift so.

#6 ·
Im not saying they are a cleaning service. I cleaned them all. Just couldnt behind the one hub. Idk. I work on cnc equipment for a living. First thing we do is clean it top to bottom on the area you are working on. Its common practice. I guess just something ppl forget to do now a days. Thanks for the rest of the feed back. I dont get why they cant give an answer on if they run different spring rates or not.

havent had a chance to actually ride. Put them on this weekend. I have to leave to chicago for work for two weeks. When i get back ill take it out. Im sure i will be very happy with them. Its just sadto me ppl dont take pride in their work. I know you think they should t have to clean them but when you take pride in your job you just do it. Its a loss on these newer generations i guess and we just expect it.
anyways. Looking forward to getting some seat time with them.

#8 ·
ST has proprietary rates, they are never going to tell anybody what their rates are. I don't want to harp on the cleaning thing, but.....

It has nothing to do with newer generations. You didn't clean them, that's on you. I have news for you, some tuners that get dirty shocks charge to clean them, before doing the work. How would you feel if you were charged? I wouldn't let some dirt sway your decision one way or another. After the first ride, the shocks will be dirty again.

Reactions: Jonnyxrsmax420
#9 ·
I had Shock Therapy Suspension tune done and installation of DRS springs kit, and RIS to Smart Shocks. I decided it was best to make the drive from Vegas to Phoenix and take my Can Am to them for a complete install. Since my Can Am is set up a lot different than most it took them all day to get the work done. I was the first into the shop in the morning and the last to leave at closing time. They had to do several different spring sets to get it just right since they had never done one on such a heavy machine. I had them set it up to ride best with both tanks full of fuel, 4 fat people, and full ice chest of beer. It was rather stiff when just by myself driving, but the more weight I add to it the better it rides, so overall the suspension rides great and can take the bad woops with 37 inch tires at 50+ MPH and just feel like a roller coaster with the wheels planted firmly on the ground at all times. I have only done this once when racing back to the truck to get a tool out of the truck for another rider (jeep) that had broke down. This drive one way took the jeeps 35 minutes and I did the round trip in 15 Minutes. I was actually amazed how fast I could go in so rough a trail.

Reactions: Wicked can
#11 ·
I had ST do my suspension work as well. Full tilt + IQS. I delivered the car to them so they could set up ride height etc. The car was spotless when I delivered it,,, and just as clean when I received it. They charged me nothing extra for the removal/install of the shocks and ride height setting. Maybe that charge was rolled into the quote I received, since I never intended to not take the full car into them, and I was just unaware of it,,, either way, since I am local, it was worth it to me to have them set it up.

They did have an additional charge of $100 for the IQS electronics install. Pretty reasonable charge IMO, but I'm very particular with my car, and I didn't want to pay the extra 100 bucks for it. I was recovering from an abdominal surgery at the time and was in no condition to be crawling around in the car at that point, so I bit the bullet and paid them to install the electrical stuff.

I disclosed my need for the electronic portion of the IQS to be done well and clean. The assured me that it would be.
When I picked up the car I asked them where the installed the IQS controller and how they routed the wiring. They pointed all of it out to me and I was happy with their work. They actually have a full procedure "dictated" to them from Fox where/how to run the harnesses etc.

Are they nice, uber friendly, kind-hearted souls to deal with? Not really. It's their business,,, nothing more nothing less. They are busy as sh!t. (no excuse,,, just fact)

Are they professional knowledgeable business people who do what they can to give you what you pay for. IMO, yes.

This is not a knock on you or your experience OP,,, just giving you my experience as a reference point. (y)

#12 ·
I had ST do my suspension work as well. Full tilt + IQS. I delivered the car to them so they could set up ride height etc. The car was spotless when I delivered it,,, and just as clean when I received it. They charged me nothing extra for the removal/install of the shocks and ride height setting. Maybe that charge was rolled into the quote I received, since I never intended to not take the full car into them, and I was just unaware of it,,, either way, since I am local, it was worth it to me to have them set it up.

They did have an additional charge of $100 for the IQS electronics install. Pretty reasonable charge IMO, but I'm very particular with my car, and I didn't want to pay the extra 100 bucks for it. I was recovering from an abdominal surgery at the time and was in no condition to be crawling around in the car at that point, so I bit the bullet and paid them to install the electrical stuff.

I disclosed my need for the electronic portion of the IQS to be done well and clean. The assured me that it would be.
When I picked up the car I asked them where the installed the IQS controller and how they routed the wiring. They pointed all of it out to me and I was happy with their work. They actually have a full procedure "dictated" to them from Fox where/how to run the harnesses etc.

Are they nice, uber friendly, kind-hearted souls to deal with? Not really. It's their business,,, nothing more nothing less. They are busy as sh!t. (no excuse,,, just fact)

Are they professional knowledgeable business people who do what they can to give you what you pay for. IMO, yes.

This is not a knock on you or your experience OP,,, just giving you my experience as a reference point. (y)

Easily worth the $100 for the iQS install. I did a video of the install. Pretty amateur haha never did a video like that before. Anyways, not that bad of a job, but, I wouldn't do it for less than $100 that's for sure.

#13 ·
I dont take any of it as a knock. Just was looking for other ppls experience with them and what they had done. After hearing all super smiths stuff he caries and what they had to go through at least its for sure they havw a wide variety of spring rates available. I have no doubt the car wont ride better at all. I have read all the reviews on how well it rides after.

hollywood i would have gladly paid to have them clean the small two inch section i couldnt get to rather then them just running the crossover rings into that section and leaving it. 🤷‍♂️

#14 ·
Unless you take your car to them there is no guaranty the ride height will be correct. There is no way they have a thousand spring rate combinations. I did my own spring install and it took a few tries.

I've called them on the phone a few times and thought they were mediocre. I assume whoever they have answering the phone is probably a low cost employee.

#21 ·
Yeah, so I think 25 different spring rates for X3's is a lie. There's a whole assortment or reasons; everything from vendor minimum order size and inventory management to necessity and implementation. How many people are getting the exact same spring combination? Casually watching threads here and other forums says there might actually be three or four combinations at most.

That isn't to say the product is bad or doesn't work but I'm not naive either.

#40 ·
Once I get mine back from the shop I will post my numbers. I don't think mine should be a very common spring as their is not that many Can Am's running so Fat.🦏

Reactions: OffRdX
#45 ·
So being a suspension guy I have this theory on ST spring rates, I think in a lot of cases they are inverting the typical rates you see in order to raise the combined rate and create a less progressive rate increase. Here’s an example, say you have 250/250 or 250/300 the combined rates are 125 and 136 in lbs, when those rates hit the stop they go up to 250 and 300 which is a spike you will feel, if you flip the 300 on top it’s less, but because of the way things are done in off-road there is a stigma with doing this because it’s not the way it’s been done. Having a higher initial rate has its advantages for sure so I think that is the why in this situation. Also I highly doubt they are using custom rates, but they might be using a custom length which is made for them. This would allow longer springs in weird lengths like 17 inches or some off measurements. Also consider the diameters used, the eibach kit has spacers doesn’t it? So that could be the other custom thing is the proper dimensions without using adapters.

#47 ·
Ooh this thread is a combination of forum-favorite vendor nut swinging, aftermarket hassle, newbie with unrealistic expectations, AND weaponized autism.

I'm IN!

And bitcoin spam too?!?! wowzers lol

#49 ·
It's when a bunch of nerds on the internet band together to figure something out, like how many different spring rates a shock company uses lol.

Reactions: DogRunner2
#52 ·
The spring rates are not magic. I would bet all the shock tuners are pretty close on their spring rates. The magic is in the valving and the other stuff the do internally to the shocks.

#128 ·
Did I see a write up that in Glamis forum that you had Tom do your shocks? If so any advice on what to provide, he did mention to me that dune riders are the hardest to dial in due to so many riding styles and type of dunes. I know the transitions out here on the Oregon coast go from A-Z, biggest is high/low speed chop, whoops and g-outs.